PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the Bushman Video Winners!!

thejumpingflea
01-05-2009, 11:39 AM
http://ukuleleluau.com/uke-winners-08.html

These are all such great videos! Congrats to all that won!

SuperSecretBETA
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
I was just about to say that! hahaha

P.S. I knew paddydude36 would win!

Link
01-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Good job to all.

Absolutely no disprespect to the winners... but to be honest, I'm not going to pay attention to the contest any more. I'm sure Seeso doesn't want or need anyone saying this because he's a humble dude... but his Hotel California video didn't even place, and it was BY FAR the best entry this year. There are a few others that clearly had more talent and skill who didn't place as well. I know it says entertainment factor is one of the rules.. but come on. They should re name the thing "The Bushman World Ukulele and Video Editing Skills Contest".

Just my two cents.. because I think everyone probably thought that when they saw the winners, but I don't know if anyone else would mention it.

thejumpingflea
01-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Good job to all.

Absolutely no disprespect to the winners... but to be honest, I'm not going to pay attention to the contest any more. I'm sure Seeso doesn't want or need anyone saying this because he's a humble dude... but his Hotel California video didn't even place, and it was BY FAR the best entry this year. There are a few others that clearly had more talent and skill who didn't place as well. I know it says entertainment factor is one of the rules.. but come on. They should re name the thing "The Bushman World Ukulele and Video Editing Skills Contest".

Just my two cents.. because I think everyone probably thought that when they saw the winners, but I don't know if anyone else would mention it.

The winning entry didn't have any video editing.

I do agree though, Seeso deserved some recognition.

russ_buss
01-05-2009, 12:50 PM
congratulations to the winners! great to see so many UU members in that list. and i agree Link, can't believe sesso didn't even place. it ain't right.

upskydowncloud
01-05-2009, 12:54 PM
The winning entry didn't have any video editing.

I do agree though, Seeso deserved some recognition.

I second that. I think the title of the competition can be pretty misleading as it suggests it's about ukuleles and therefore music but I think the contest seems more based on an overall entertainment video that features ukes. I do think the entries were really good though, first place is v. impressive!

Well done Jumpingflea, I saw your video the other day and thought it was very clever.

P.S I find it hilarious that someone got a mention doing I'm Yours...COME ON!

haole
01-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Where's sesso?! :eek:

Other than that, I liked most of the entries a lot. Congrats to all the UUers who made it!

SuperSecretBETA
01-05-2009, 01:32 PM
With all respect, they can only fit 5 winners and 10 honorable mentions. That's only eight percent of the 189 entries. I don't think the honorable mentions are in any particular order either. There were a lot that deserve an honorable mention, but you really can't fit them all.

Anyway, on to discuss the winners.

$1250 credited for Monique and friends?! That's just insane. They can buy everything there if they wanted. Share the wealth! hahaha

Keonepax is awesome. End of story.

Jonathan Elder aka TinroofSunburn probably didn't make much if you think about the production costs of the video.

Eric Bradford aka Evilhamster95 did an excellent job, but you can tell he didn't need the Bushman credits if you look at the things in his room. hahaha

Kevin and Bobby aka katianwitchger also deserve it. It was one of my favorites.

With the exception of TinroofSunburn, I added all the winners (not the honorable mentions) to my youtube favorites or subscribed to the user before they were picked, so I guess I'm not really surprised about the winners. Maybe the judges have similar tastes as I do. Maybe next year I'll throw some predictions around. :p

Oh yeah... and I'm Yours? :rolleyes:

nickulele
01-05-2009, 01:35 PM
my favourite video out of them was the kid doing Nirvana. Which is weird because normally the sound of children singing makes me feel quite ill.

Max the punk rocker has actually changed my life! he rules with fists.

Monkeyswithladders
01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm really happy to see Keonepax and Evilhamster up there. And I also liked Grass Shack by Peyrson and the Rich Girl cover a lot.

I'm disappointed I don't see Ukulezo's Optional Accessory, Seeso's Hotel California, Russ' Breakdown, or the Baron's Love Me Tender. I think those were all freaking amazing.

P.S. I'm yours :confused:

Waterguy
01-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Grats to all the winners. I had a fealing thejumpingflea's vid had a shot at a prize when I first watched it. Very imaginative use of the ukes in that one.

I know it has to be tough for the judges with that many entries but I'm also scratching my head a bit on a few that didn't get a mention over some of those that did.

Seeso has already been mentioned, and there was one entry from WS64 that I can only describe as hauntingly beautiful. Check it out if you have not seen it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQkhzwdPPp8

Also for pure entertainment value it's hard to beat this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KnCRGV4rco

The winners were entertaining though and like I said, with near 200 entries it's a tough call.

deach
01-05-2009, 01:54 PM
The results were quite disappointing. I guess it would help to know the criteria the judges used.

Despite my disappointment, congrats to all who entered and especially to all who placed.

Nurdaben
01-05-2009, 01:55 PM
i loved that banana phone vid.

SinisterDom
01-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I expected to see the Adelle and Ken vid. I thought it was great.

adellethegreat
01-05-2009, 02:35 PM

Thank you very much, Sinister Dom. I appreciate that :)

benmealer
01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
I went through the entries a little earlier and I was just going to keep my mouth shut, no disrespect to jumpingflea, yours was great and deserved the recognition, but the rest it looked like they just picked random videos. There were so many great great entries and so few on in the winners. I should stop. I try to be positive on this board.:confused:

NoLine
01-05-2009, 03:52 PM
im not hating on the winners or nothing but how is this thing judged?
i thought it was a uke contest and not a singing one.
i gotta admit, mad props to first for the harmonies but
where was puremarkska's, seeso's and adellethegreat's video
all three of their vids were really good

ima lil disappointed too deach, you aint the only one

Plainsong
01-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Maybe they just need to figure out the direction and goal of the contest. Is it to find the maddest editing skillz? The best audio/visual equipment? The most creative? The most talented? The ones that have the best ukes? Or should it go to the ones who need a new uke the most?

There are no right or wrong answers there, but maybe the goal of the contest should be more clear.

rayan
01-05-2009, 03:56 PM
I wonder why monique didn't post the video in her normal channel? She posted here on UU once or twice before, mostly in the singing boards.

DeG
01-05-2009, 04:05 PM

I know..I'm shocked. Also, I remember seeing Ken's solo entry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUfFcKlEGok&feature=channel_page)and thinking, "Crap, now I have to come up with something better." I soon realized that would be an excercise in futility, and let it ride :)

Also, I still have Krabber's "I wanna bump uglies.." stuck in my head...much to my wife's dismay...

Lot of great entries...next year I'm going for the funnybone, and I start filming next week :D

Monkeyswithladders
01-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Maybe they just need to figure out the direction and goal of the contest. Is it to find the maddest editing skillz? The best audio/visual equipment? The most creative? The most talented? The ones that have the best ukes? Or should it go to the ones who need a new uke the most?

There are no right or wrong answers there, but maybe the goal of the contest should be more clear.

I think instead of doing the top 5 places it'd be cool if they did it in categories like that.

Valerie
01-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Well, I watched everything... (I've been sick so I had time...)

And what suprized me is this: a few of my favs made it (YES! :nana:) but many of the vids that I couldn't make it through/had to stop watching also made it!

But, all in all... I'm happy with the results. It sucks that some of my favs didn't make the winners list (and some of my least fav. did), but if it wasn't for this contest I'd never have found so many great videos/channels in the first place. With so many entrys it was inherit that many would be left out.

JKoval
01-05-2009, 04:25 PM
I really like evilhamster's work... but he just... annoys me sometimes... especially in his video that won.

-Jeff

Pharmaceutical.Bandit
01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
some of these videos seem to be in the wrong order :confused:

haha

SamWise
01-05-2009, 08:35 PM
I've just been watching through the videos, and whilst I think some deserving entries were missed, and that the order is not necessarily right, there was nothing that I felt "Why the hell is that there?". Until I got to the "I'm Yours" cover. That's just run of the mill. I can think of 20 better entries that didn't make it.

Bassukuguy
01-05-2009, 08:47 PM
The two guys doing Iron and Wine\The postal service "such great heights" was FANTASTIC! defiantly should have been higher on the list.

Ken Middleton
01-05-2009, 11:17 PM
I have found it really difficult to understand on what criteria this contest was judged. But, whatever we think of the standard of judging, let's not take anything away from those who have won prizes. Congratulations to all of them.

This contest has brought out the best in everyone that entered. There were some incredibly original offerings and wonderful performances. Just about everyone that entered had something good to contribute.

Those that won were chosen by the judges. Remember that if the judges had chosen you, or me, someone would disagree with the judgement and would be complaining about us.

No, the real problem here is that it was hard to figure out just what the judges wanted. I personally would have preferred to take part in a ukulele contest rather than a ukulele video contest.

But remember, this contest produced some incredible playing from people from all over the world. I believe that it raised one notch higher the status of the ukulele as a serious musical instrument.

KEN

Link
01-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Again: NOT TAKING AWAY FROM THE WINNERS IN ANY WAY...

But I have been thinking about this throughout the day and I have to say again that I am incredibly disappointed. I just remembered another entry that I thought for sure was going to get 2nd, behind Seeso's. Remember puremarkska's 90's tv themes video? puremarkska's video has arguably more entertainment factor than any other. It burns me so bad to think that wadejohnston's "I'm Yours" entry (or ANY other entry, but especially that one) did better than Seeso's and puremarkska's. Seriously, wow.

Part of the shock is that I felt they did a great job judging last year. Of course I would have been a little different, but overall it seemed everyone agreed on the fact that they judged well. So when this happened.. blah.

And Ken made a great point. This contest brought out the absolute best in a ton of Ukers, and raised the Uke up a notch. So it wasn't all bad. But still! haha ok I'm done. I'm not trying to be an ass, but this is just sad.

benmealer
01-06-2009, 12:48 AM
What about baron/elvis?!!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f_dBYiAPEg

deach
01-06-2009, 01:11 AM
If everyone's uke turned into a guitar and this was a guitar contest I wonder if the results would have been the same.

Ken Middleton
01-06-2009, 01:28 AM
If everyone's uke turned into a guitar and this was a guitar contest I wonder if the results would have been the same.

Nope. I don't think they would. Very good point, Deach.

adellethegreat
01-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Ooooh oooh! I see it, I see it! It's the huge bush we're all beating around. Everyone's afraid to say it because of silly things like UU points & worrying about offending the winners... but I'll take one for the team & come out with it: the judging for the Bushman contest was crap.

Now before I get into it more let me just say that yes, I did enter- but I'm not necessarily upset that I didn't win- that's not what this rant is fueled by. I'm not upset that I lost, but I am upset that I lost to a bunch of covers of crappy pop songs. Not just me, but a lot of other very valid & passionate entries.

I'm not going to name names or point fingers... except at the I'm Yours guy- that's just ridonkulous.

What have I learned from the Bushman contest? Originality will get you nowhere- but exactly copying a pop song that because it was so overplayed when it originally came out most people know the words to- that will get you a ranking. Now I'm all for silly & fun... however, call me a fuddy-duddy but music is something I take seriously. And when I say "taking music seriously" I mean more than just taking the time to memorize the song you're performing & making sure you have it down- I mean taking it seriously on all levels... emotionally & mentally too. I believe you should pour your heart into every piece you play... which in my opinion takes crappy pop songs out of the list of things you would possibly cover.

There's a difference between people who play music & musicians.

I think we're all disappointed with the results. We all had our people we were pulling for. I don't think we'd be so disappointed if more of the winners actually showed some musical merit in their winning vids. A bit more creativity, a bit of originality. I long ago lost faith in our species & this just brings the point home again. I'll say it for everyone that's been thinking it: a Hanson song won. Hanson. Yes, those girls had some great harmonies going- yes she can strum a uke... but no matter how many times I think about it I keep coming back to the same thing, the bottom line: it's a cover of a Hanson song. Not that Hanson had any good tracks- but Mmmbop?! Really? Give me negative rep points if you want but I have to say it, and I think that most of you will agree.

I almost feel like it gives ukuleles a bad name. There are so many serious players who have worked so hard & feel so passionate about the instrument & this is what was chosen to represent ukuleles- the best the world has to offer (according to Bushman). Well, I know... & I think most of you know... that it gets way better than this. I don't think I'm going to be entering next year. Losing is no big deal- I've done it lots of times. But losing to an unoriginal I'm Yours cover & a Hanson song is a slap in the face. There have been some great covers done of some really bad songs- these were not them.

haole
01-06-2009, 04:09 AM
It wouldn't have hurt for the judges to be more specific with their criteria. I really do like some of the winning entries, but I don't blame you for thinking that there was no rhyme or reason to how the winners were selected and ranked. :shock: (I shouldn't judge, though; I don't think I could have done any better than any of the winners. :B )

The Undies are organized better.

salukulady
01-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Just curious, does Bushman use the winning video in any of their advertising or promotion?

upskydowncloud
01-06-2009, 05:00 AM
Ooooh oooh! I see it, I see it! It's the huge bush we're all beating around. Everyone's afraid to say it because of silly things like UU points & worrying about offending the winners... but I'll take one for the team & come out with it: the judging for the Bushman contest was crap.

Now before I get into it more let me just say that yes, I did enter- but I'm not necessarily upset that I didn't win- that's not what this rant is fueled by. I'm not upset that I lost, but I am upset that I lost to a bunch of covers of crappy pop songs. Not just me, but a lot of other very valid & passionate entries.

I'm not going to name names or point fingers... except at the I'm Yours guy- that's just ridonkulous.

What have I learned from the Bushman contest? Originality will get you nowhere- but exactly copying a pop song that because it was so overplayed when it originally came out most people know the words to- that will get you a ranking. Now I'm all for silly & fun... however, call me a fuddy-duddy but music is something I take seriously. And when I say "taking music seriously" I mean more than just taking the time to memorize the song you're performing & making sure you have it down- I mean taking it seriously on all levels... emotionally & mentally too. I believe you should pour your heart into every piece you play... which in my opinion takes crappy pop songs out of the list of things you would possibly cover.

I think we're all disappointed with the results. We all had our people we were pulling for. I don't think we'd be so disappointed if more of the winners actually showed some musical merit in their winning vids. A bit more creativity, a bit of originality. I long ago lost faith in our species & this just brings the point home again. I'll say it for everyone that's been thinking it: a Hanson song won. Hanson. Yes, those girls had some great harmonies going- yes she can strum a uke... but no matter how many times I think about it I keep coming back to the same thing, the bottom line: it's a cover of a Hanson song. Not that Hanson had any good tracks- but Mmmbop?! Really? Give me negative rep points if you want but I have to say it, and I think that most of you will agree.

I almost feel like it gives ukuleles a bad name. There are so many serious players who have worked so hard & feel so passionate about the instrument & this is what was chosen to represent ukuleles- the best the world has to offer (according to Bushman). Well, I know... & I think most of you know... that it gets way better than this. I don't think I'm going to be entering next year. Losing is no big deal- I've done it lots of times. But losing to an unoriginal I'm Yours cover & a Hanson song is a slap in the face. There have been some great covers done of some really bad songs- these were not them.

I'm Yours definitely shouldn't have been in there, it was very well played and the guy sings it well but it's like turning up to a uke contest and winning with Jake's version of Gently Weeps. Very skillful but not very original.

I have to disagree with your comment about the winner, I thought they added nicely to the song and made it quite charming.

As you said a lot of these songs give the uke a bad name, making it seem like some sort of comedy prop in a video. I think the fact it's so easy to pick up is partly to blame for this, it may be easy to pick up but it's bloody hard to play well. The uke doesn't have the best of reputations outside Hawaii and silly videos don't do it any good. It's a real shame in my opinion because people like Aldrine and Jake S show us how serious and impressive the instrument can be. It can be appreciated as a real instrument without turning it into a drum or knitting a special little hat for the headstock.

I thought the winners played really well and added a charming element to an otherwise annoying song. The fact it was mmbop and I didn't want to hang myself after listening to it is always a good sign. It was one of the few videos that was simply someone playing the uke well and singing. It didn't involve 800 video effects, highly embarassing editing (singing along soulfully to your own music with your iPod in one ear is not big and not clever) and banging the ukulele like a drum or strumming it like some sort of moron.

SamWise
01-06-2009, 05:06 AM
I like the winning entry, perhaps even enough for a prize, but not enough to win. I don't think drumming on a uke is "novelty" - some very serious guitarists play percussion on their guitars, it's just an unusual approach. The reason you got what you got, and not Jake or some other musical wonder was that they asked for entertainment, and said it was the highest priority. I think they actually chose the winner based on their suitability to be a face for Bushman - they made a very shrewd choice in Julia Nunes in that respect last year, and it'll be interesting to see if they were right this time too. I don't think, however, that they even met their own "entertainment is most important" criteria.

rreffner
01-06-2009, 05:15 AM
I suggest UU run future events. Players submit clips to UU and when it becomes time to vote, have the membership vote. Then post the winners to Bushman and let Bushman send all the winners Ukes. In return, Bushman can use the winners clips.

Maybe this is a dumb suggestion?

upskydowncloud
01-06-2009, 05:17 AM
I like the winning entry, perhaps even enough for a prize, but not enough to win. I don't think drumming on a uke is "novelty" - some very serious guitarists play percussion on their guitars, it's just an unusual approach. The reason you got what you got, and not Jake or some other musical wonder was that they asked for entertainment, and said it was the highest priority. I think they actually chose the winner based on their suitability to be a face for Bushman - they made a very shrewd choice in Julia Nunes in that respect last year, and it'll be interesting to see if they were right this time too. I don't think, however, that they even met their own "entertainment is most important" criteria.

Ah that makes a bit more sense, I hadn't even considered that they may be doing it for advertising purposes, how naive of me!

You're right about the guitar business, I just think it's different for ukes, they aren't taken seriously at the best of times so it just makes it a bit worse for me. I liked the Nirvana song but you'd never catch me doing anything other than caressing my ukulele...

I didn't expect people like Jake to enter, I just was just highlighting the difference between what I think Adelle was getting at between musicians and people who play music.

haole
01-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Little gimmicks (editing so you're harmonizing with yourself, uke percussion, silly outfits, etc) don't ruin videos for me at all, as long as the music is good. There wasn't anything unlistenable in the list of winners, really. I'd be more worried if someone legitimately awful won a top spot, or someone who relied solely on their gimmick but with no real ability. To me, even the goofiest winners were fine musically, and I don't think anyone really disgraced the ukulele. I don't agree with some of the choices for the top spots, and there were certainly better ones that were overlooked, but nothing truly sucked. :B

Had the contest itself been a little more clear, though, it would be easier to understand why someone would win.

russ_buss
01-06-2009, 06:25 AM
note to self (and others): better start learning "blame it on the rain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwrL9MV6jSk)" for next year's contest.

hoosierhiver
01-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Seeso's entry last year was also totally awesome.

Plainsong
01-06-2009, 07:41 AM
I gave Adelle positive rep points for that rant. Well said. Bubble Gum thoughtless covers of pop songs that originally took minutes to write don't help the instrument. In fact it doesn't help any musician who wants to be taken seriously. Ask anyone who's a one hit wonder? They had that song that took 2 minutes to write, the record company released that one as the single, and it became a hit, and boom goes the dynamite - no one takes them seriously anymore.

So what Adelle is talking about is true of music in general, and it's a shame if that's the criteria. If that's the case, they'd be better off gifting ukes to those that really need them.

adellethegreat
01-06-2009, 08:18 AM
I agree with this:

I'm Yours definitely shouldn't have been in there, it was very well played and the guy sings it well but it's like turning up to a uke contest and winning with Jake's version of Gently Weeps. Very skillful but not very original.

But then you say:

I have to disagree with your comment about the winner, I thought they added nicely to the song and made it quite charming.

See to me it's the same sort of thing. I think it's almost disrespectful to play a Hanson song as your entry for a ukulele contest.

I guess what really upsets me is the lack of seriousness by Bushman. They did ask for "entertaining" videos & that is what they got, & what they chose for their top spots. This was not a ukulele Music contest... it was a ukulele Video contest. It just bothers me that so many amazing players were overlooked- people who pour their heart & soul into what they play, and have spent serious time & effort perfecting their craft... not for the Bushman contest, but for the love of the instrument & the music. Because it's inside them. Because they are musicians.

and also...

singing along soulfully to your own music with your iPod in one ear is not big and not clever :rock: I second that!

SamWise
01-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Well, I disagree about singing soulfully along. I have no issue with people producing their music well - I have no band to call on, so if I want more than me and a uke, or guitar, or whatever, it's multitracking all the way. There's nothing wrong with that. I guess what gets me is that whilst the winning entry was sweet, it wasn't entertaining. The nerd and the pirate was entertaining, so were the brothers on the roof, but the Mmmm Bop cover really wasn't, it was slick, and cute, and then it was done.

Anyway, I have my entry for next year planned already. They want entertainment? They shall have it. I'm going to do Club Tropicana, from the beach, stark naked with only an ukulele to cover my modesty (perhaps I'll need a tenor?), and with attractive naked female backing dancers, preserving THEIR modesty with palm fronds (I don't think finding attractive naked backing dancers will be a problem; the palm fronds will be very tough to find!). Perhaps I'll have jugglers and dwarves and fire-eaters too. Or maybe we should do a naked collaboration? Who's with me???

deach
01-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Anyway, I have my entry for next year planned already. They want entertainment? They shall have it. I'm going to do Club Tropicana, from the beach, stark naked with only an ukulele to cover my modesty (perhaps I'll need a tenor?), and with attractive naked female backing dancers, preserving THEIR modesty with palm fronds (I don't think finding attractive naked backing dancers will be a problem; the palm fronds will be very tough to find!). Perhaps I'll have jugglers and dwarves and fire-eaters too. Or maybe we should do a naked collaboration? Who's with me???

Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deach
01-06-2009, 08:39 AM
note to self (and others): Better start learning "blame it on the rain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwrl9mv6jsk)" for next year's contest.

lmao!!!!!!!!

krabbers
01-06-2009, 08:44 AM
congratulations to the winners! great to see so many UU members in that list. and i agree Link, can't believe sesso didn't even place. it ain't right.
the winning entry was very good, simply done and the harmonies were outstanding. but as soon as i saw seeso's entry, it was a winner in my mind

krabbers
01-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Also, I still have Krabber's "I wanna bump uglies.." stuck in my head...much to my wife's dismay...

sorry bout that lol

rayan
01-06-2009, 08:52 AM
It's bushman's contest so it's only fair that they can judge it anyway they choose. that being said, congrats to all the winners from UU, The grand prize winner is a member too, she just doesn't post much so please show her your love.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?u=3593

BTWriter
01-06-2009, 08:53 AM
I agree with Adelle, and will only point out what I saw the moment I read Julia Nunes had won before: it's an advertising campaign for Bushman, nothing else. They will choose the video most likely to give them good rep, and while it's kind of dishonest to call it a "contest" they are giving out a prize and I can't blame them for clever marketing. (Not that Julia Nunes isn't fantastic; I love her. She's just too loveable to not use for advertising.)

If I'm ever rich I'll sponsor an actual merit based contest, but as that will never happen, I think we have to just accept things as they are and nurture creative and honest talent within ourselves. Thankfully, we have this community to help do that, and don't need a contest.

Eh? Eh?

SamWise
01-06-2009, 08:56 AM
You know, we could run our own contest. Kick in $10 each, and see what we can offer. It could really attract people here......

deach
01-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Adelle - I've said it before but I want to say it here too. You really don't need a corporation that favors corporate music to validate your work. It stands on its own. Music isn't about popularity. It's about expressing yourself. Every one of your songs and covers bleeds your emotions and passion. Keep doing what you do and you'll always be a winner.

russ_buss
01-06-2009, 09:11 AM
I agree with Adelle, and will only point out what I saw the moment I read Julia Nunes had won before: it's an advertising campaign for Bushman, nothing else. They will choose the video most likely to give them good rep, and while it's kind of dishonest to call it a "contest" they are giving out a prize and I can't blame them for clever marketing. (Not that Julia Nunes isn't fantastic; I love her. She's just too loveable to not use for advertising.)

If I'm ever rich I'll sponsor an actual merit based contest, but as that will never happen, I think we have to just accept things as they are and nurture creative and honest talent within ourselves. Thankfully, we have this community to help do that, and don't need a contest.

Eh? Eh?

well said Ben. that's why your screenname isn't BenTheBSartist.

although, if i were rich, i'd buy a solid gold couch. and then keep it covered in plastic, because that's how we roll.:uhoh:

BTWriter
01-06-2009, 09:39 AM
As much as I wet my pants, I keep plastic over all my solid gold furniture.

SamWise
01-06-2009, 09:47 AM
If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a green dress RussBuss (but not a real green dress, that's cruel)

russ_buss
01-06-2009, 01:37 PM
If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a green dress RussBuss (but not a real green dress, that's cruel)

lolz, deach had to ruin it for me by telling me this was a lyric from a "barenaked ladies" song.

i was looking forward to that green dress (matching shoes too?).

DeG
01-06-2009, 03:33 PM
I entered in the contest just 'cause it gave me an excuse to work a little harder on a video/song, some incentive to do it right...( you may have noticed that I often leave mistakes in my videos and I figure "eh, close enough") So I think you can't take that away from it, we all had fun, some great videos were made, who cares what they judge it on? You can't take this too seriously, have fun and if you win great, if not try again next year.

That being said, I was sooo happy to see Keonepax get something. He turns out really entertaining videos, one after another... am I right? He deserves to win as much as any of us.

rogue_wave
01-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Wow, the contest really backfired on Bushman it seems. While I agree with a lot of the posts as far as the depth of serious musicians (and you all inspire me to get better) I can't help but remember that it is a marketing tool for a company and they will select what they feel helps them. I would venture to guess that the folks who won feel pretty good about themselves (unless they are reading this thread) and that perhaps it was worth practicing and learning and maybe to continue.

Wherever you stand on Julia Nunes, her previous win was a pop tune cover that beat out some serious classical playing. It also launched a ton of new ukulele players, some who found that moment inspiring and who might be only a year into the instrument. Congratulations to them!

My other response in seeing some of the great performances by some of the most talented UU players, is that you guys have Ukes, some, er, more than one. I would have liked to seen someone enter banging away on a crappy souvenir uke that showed some promise and need.

I was inspired by all the great entries and will now get back to hard practicing and learning so that I can contribute in that way and if you guys are all going to be sore about it now and take your ukes and go home, I think it is truly a great loss.

If you want a UU contest, I agree, I'll throw my $10 in. Just no hating on the judges.

This is by far the most negative thread I have read on UU and I am bummed out enough by the attitudes to shut it off for the day and go play.

Thanks again to those who inspire without needing a prize.

rayan
01-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Wow, the contest really backfired on Bushman it seems. While I agree with a lot of the posts as far as the depth of serious musicians (and you all inspire me to get better) I can't help but remember that it is a marketing tool for a company and they will select what they feel helps them. I would venture to guess that the folks who won feel pretty good about themselves (unless they are reading this thread) and that perhaps it was worth practicing and learning and maybe to continue.

Wherever you stand on Julia Nunes, her previous win was a pop tune cover that beat out some serious classical playing. It also launched a ton of new ukulele players, some who found that moment inspiring and who might be only a year into the instrument. Congratulations to them!

My other response in seeing some of the great performances by some of the most talented UU players, is that you guys have Ukes, some, er, more than one. I would have liked to seen someone enter banging away on a crappy souvenir uke that showed some promise and need.

I was inspired by all the great entries and will now get back to hard practicing and learning so that I can contribute in that way and if you guys are all going to be sore about it now and take your ukes and go home, I think it is truly a great loss.

If you want a UU contest, I agree, I'll throw my $10 in. Just no hating on the judges.

This is by far the most negative thread I have read on UU and I am bummed out enough by the attitudes to shut it off for the day and go play.

Thanks again to those who inspire without needing a prize.

Serious, why is everyone hating so much. Especially when one of our own took home the top prize... You have to remember it's bushman's contest and they can run it however they want to. They don't have to give away anything but they want to and it's their choice who wins. They don't owe any of us anything.

Whatever you feel about the winners or if you're favorites weren't recognized, you can't fault any of them for being chosen, all they did was enter just like everybody else. What does putting any of them down accomplish? It's not going to change the results. We should all be happy for these people that won something, as they are all probably proud of their accomplishment and should be. Let's not taint what they've earned. I'm pretty surprised by the attitude of a lot of you in this thread, you sound a lot like some other ukulele forum.

SamWise
01-07-2009, 01:27 AM
We do sound a bit chippy, don't we? I'm gonna shut up about it now.

SuperSecretBETA
01-07-2009, 01:46 AM
For those that think the judging was difficult to understand, I present rule 6 with its clear, specific direction and goal to proof there was nothing misleading about:

6.) Entries will be judged on a variety of factors including: entertainment value, technical ability, creative video presentation, and humor. "Entertainment Value" will be the most heavily weighted factor. With each video we judge the first question we ask is, "Would we go out of our way to watch the video again?". Skilled players can win, but they can't beat skilled players who are also creative entertainers. Five* "Honorable Mentions" will be awarded to contestants who show outstanding enthusiasm for the ukulele.

*You should all be at least thankful they even picked 10 honorable mentions instead of 5 like they originally planned.

It was never a contest about music appreciation. If this had to do with beauty and artistry, they would have said so. Even the Bushman forum's frequent users chose Monique as their favorite. For goodness sake, it's the Bushman World Ukulele Video Contest--not the Annual Kamaka International Fine Arts Ukulele Short Film Festival. Sure, our UU community embraces the more mature videos, but since when did ukulele stop being fun? That's the beauty of the ukulele; it can play a virtuoso that touches the very depths of your soul or a repeated E, B, A, B chord progression (to those who were wondering) for Mmmbop! Tiny Tim lives on! I love the ukulele with or without gimmicks.

Oh, and maybe "I'm Yours" fell into the humor category... or maybe they're just giving a nod to Julia Nunes' male counterpart. Sorry Wade, it's a UU thing... nothing personal. :p

P.S. Kazookeylele (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAg5KjnAhuU) anyone? :rock:

nickulele
01-07-2009, 02:27 AM
repeated E#, B, A, B chord progression (to those who were wondering) for Mmmbop!

eerrrrrmmmm... E sharp?

SamWise
01-07-2009, 02:44 AM
For those that think the judging was difficult to understand, I present rule 6 with its clear, specific direction and goal to proof there was nothing misleading about:

6.) Entries will be judged on a variety of factors including: entertainment value, technical ability, creative video presentation, and humor. "Entertainment Value" will be the most heavily weighted factor. With each video we judge the first question we ask is, "Would we go out of our way to watch the video again?". [I]Skilled players can win, but they can't beat skilled players who are also creative entertainers.

Sure, but on that basis, it's pretty weird too. I'm not going to go into details, because I don't want to appear to be slagging off anyone's videos (except the I'm Yours one - I don't mind running that down!), but I didn't think that the most entertaining ones made it, by a long shot. I really am going to try to make that my last comment though.

SuperSecretBETA
01-07-2009, 04:33 AM
eerrrrrmmmm... E sharp?

My bad... LOL Emajor.

Plainsong
01-07-2009, 04:45 AM
Yes, E# and Cb. ;) Actually there are real reasons to use those enharmonic names, but I agree that it's just all a marketing tool (Bushman, not music theory, theory was invented to torture music majors), and that of course UU has its own contests with different criteria.

No disrepct at all to the winner, who had the pulse of what Bushman was looking for and went for it. :)

haole
01-07-2009, 04:52 AM
I hope the reactions to the Undies aren't like this. :O

russ_buss
01-07-2009, 05:59 AM
I'm pretty surprised by the attitude of a lot of you in this thread, you sound a lot like some other ukulele forum.

i'm not surprised. UU is comprised of real human beings, with real emotions and opinions. while i congratulate the winners of this contest, i don't discount the opinions of everybody else that is upset by the results. they are entitled to their opinions. that's what internet forums are for, ya? mahaloz! also we also shouldn't look down on other ukulele forums. that in itself adds to the "hateful attitude", no?

now here are some goodwill smileys :):):)

hoosierhiver
01-07-2009, 06:42 AM
We're a passionate bunch,that's for sure!

dnewton2
01-07-2009, 06:52 AM
i'm not surprised. UU is comprised of real human beings, with real emotions and opinions. while i congratulate the winners of this contest, i don't discount the opinions of everybody else that is upset by the results. they are entitled to their opinions. that's what internet forums are for, ya? mahaloz! also we also shouldn't look down on other ukulele forums. that in itself adds to the "hateful attitude", no?

I agree people have opinions, but it is a contest. ( I wouldn't be suprised if they drew names out of hat) I don't remeber people being upset about the t-shirt contest at UU. I am sure there were some great designs that didn't get reconized, does that mean their work wasn't good? No. Complaining about who should have won kind of discounts the winners.

This thread started out as a congrats thread that quickly got ugly.

You are all winners!!!;):);)

generem
01-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Im new and watched as many video entries as I can and when I saw ChronosXD entry.. I thought for sure they were gonna win.. Because I thought it was a Ukulele contest...

Philip did an Amazing job..

Monique and friends entry had the best vocals so no disrespect.

russ_buss
01-07-2009, 07:52 AM
I agree people have opinions, but it is a contest. ( I wouldn't be suprised if they drew names out of hat) I don't remeber people being upset about the t-shirt contest at UU. I am sure there were some great designs that didn't get reconized, does that mean their work wasn't good? No.

yes, but nobody got to see the tshirt entries so it's a different story.

Complaining about who should have won kind of discounts the winners.

i agree with that. but it's an open forum. people can complain if they want. just like they can complain about bad quality strings, the way people pronounce ukulele, the weather, etc.

this will be the third time i say it, congratulations to the winners!

here are some more smileys :):D:)

Sarkrates
01-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Congrats to the winner's and anyone who participated, your all winners in my book. Everyone has different tastes and perspectives, if you asked 10 people what ukulele is the best available. You'll probably get quite a few different answers, same thing here, we all have our own idea as to what makes a song or video good. Regardless, I give a big thumbs up to all the contestants.

Sark

nickulele
01-07-2009, 10:02 AM
My bad... LOL Emajor.

i see! ha ha, finding an E sharp is like finding Narnia!

thejumpingflea
01-07-2009, 10:44 AM
i see! ha ha, finding an E sharp is like finding Narnia!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/thejumpingflea/Photo26.jpg

I FOUND IT!

Bassukuguy
01-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I FOUND IT!

congrats, my name is Mr. Tumnus follow me to my hut!

SamWise
01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
E# is actually NOT the same note as F, any more than C# is the same as Db. Look up some things on even temperament if you really want to know (but it's a can of worms, and one we never really need to worry about)

thejumpingflea
01-07-2009, 12:36 PM
E# is actually NOT the same note as F, any more than C# is the same as Db. Look up some things on even temperament if you really want to know (but it's a can of worms, and one we never really need to worry about)

Well if someone asks you to play an E# then what fingering are you going to use on the uke?

No, it is NOT the same as F when you get down to the theory, but they are enharmonic. This being said they would use the same fingering, but be considered different notes. I am not playing a F, but rather I am playing an E#. :D

SamWise
01-07-2009, 01:38 PM
They would be different notes, and which one you get by fingering the first fret on your uke, I could not tell you without a very sensitive tuner. It's just an interesting can of worms to open.

nickulele
01-07-2009, 02:01 PM
i'm sorry but all the notes are there on a piano and there is deffo no E Sharp.

Am I wrong?

(edit) Who new Narnia was next to the Hard Rock Cafe the whole time?!

seeso
01-07-2009, 02:04 PM
For some keys, you must use an E#.

Example: In the key of C# major, the scale is:

C#, D#, E#, F#, G#, A#, B#, C#

nickulele
01-07-2009, 02:05 PM
agree to disagree ;)

Waterguy
01-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Why all the hate on Mmmbop? I know I posted early on this thread and mentioned some head scratching on some of the winners but I was not referring to the first place winner. It would not be MY first place but my first place was not among the winners. Pretty much guaranteed it would have finished in the money if I was the one and only judge though. Those girls brought the "CUTE" and they brought it well.

The thing about Mmmbop that certain music snobs never seem to get is that the asperation of some music never rises above "let's make these poeple want to get up and dance", and that is not a bad thing. There are wonderful songs out there that will make you think about life. There are wonderful songs out there that will make you take a long hard look at the world you are living in and make you think that maby you can do something to make it a better place. Sometimes though, it's a good thing to just get up and dance and celebrate some of the simple joys of life.

From what I have read in this thread I may get ridiculed for saying this but I love Mmmbop. I bought the CD when the song was new and it is currently on my ipod. I still want to get up and dance whenever I listen to it and for that feeling I thank the Hanson brothers.

There is crap pop and there is brilliant pop. My opinion....Mmmbop is one of the all time great pop songs ever written. My musical tastes make room for pretty much every genre though.

SamWise
01-07-2009, 02:40 PM
i'm sorry but all the notes are there on a piano and there is deffo no E Sharp.

Am I wrong?

Yes, although not in a way that's important for actually making music. It's just an interesting side alley. Seriously, go and look up even temperament. In simple terms, all western musical instruments are slightly mistuned. You can only tune an instrument to play perfectly in tune in one key, because the physics of it dictates that the other keys contain notes that are ALMOST but not quite the same as the notes in the first key. F is almost the same as E#, but not quite. All Western musical instruments are a fudge, so that they sound ok in every key. To see how this works, tune a guitar so that it sounds perfect on the G chord. Now play an E chord. It'll sound just a smidgen off, and there's no way round it, because if it's in perfect tune in one key, it'll always be off in another.

Here's a link to start understanding it, if your head feels like being bent!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_temperament

nickulele
01-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Yes, although not in a way that's important for actually making music. It's just an interesting side alley. Seriously, go and look up even temperament. In simple terms, all western musical instruments are slightly mistuned. You can only tune an instrument to play perfectly in tune in one key, because the physics of it dictates that the other keys contain notes that are ALMOST but not quite the same as the notes in the first key. F is almost the same as E#, but not quite. All Western musical instruments are a fudge, so that they sound ok in every key. To see how this works, tune a guitar so that it sounds perfect on the G chord. Now play an E chord. It'll sound just a smidgen off, and there's no way round it, because if it's in perfect tune in one key, it'll always be off in another.

Here's a link to start understanding it, if your head feels like being bent!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_temperament

Well, I stand corrected (said the man in the orthopaedic shoes). Pythagorean comma's eh?

My head is bent enough as it is so i will take your word for it and skulk off into the night like the philestine i am.

yours ignorantly,

Nickulele x

(edit)

p.s i thought the mmmbop video was a well performed and fantastically sung version of a song I would rather have forgotten. So........ there you go :)

Link
01-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Why all the hate on Mmmbop? I know I posted early on this thread and mentioned some head scratching on some of the winners but I was not referring to the first place winner. It would not be MY first place but my first place was not among the winners. Pretty much guaranteed it would have finished in the money if I was the one and only judge though. Those girls brought the "CUTE" and they brought it well.

The thing about Mmmbop that certain music snobs never seem to get is that the asperation of some music never rises above "let's make these poeple want to get up and dance", and that is not a bad thing. There are wonderful songs out there that will make you think about life. There are wonderful songs out there that will make you take a long hard look at the world you are living in and make you think that maby you can do something to make it a better place. Sometimes though, it's a good thing to just get up and dance and celebrate some of the simple joys of life.

From what I have read in this thread I may get ridiculed for saying this but I love Mmmbop. I bought the CD when the song was new and it is currently on my ipod. I still want to get up and dance whenever I listen to it and for that feeling I thank the Hanson brothers.

There is crap pop and there is brilliant pop. My opinion....Mmmbop is one of the all time great pop songs ever written. My musical tastes make room for pretty much every genre though.
But like russ has said many times, the beautiful thing about a forum like UU is the sharing of opinions. Just because someone dislikes mmmbop doesnt make them a music snob. It means they have a different opinion of the song.

This thread has been a great addition to the UU forum. I like how everyone has shared their opinions, negative and positive. I was on the negative side in this particular discussion, but I respect the opinions and statements of those who wanted more positivity.

Different strokes for different folks. If we all agreed on this, then what a boring community we'd have.

/rant

One thing I think we all agreed on was that those girls put on a hell of a performance and we're proud to have a UU member as a winner. I haven't seen anyone say they did a bad job. Most of us agree they deserved to win something.

hoosierhiver
01-07-2009, 03:51 PM
You can put down the Hanson's for their pop music,but you gotta admit the girl in the band was kind of cute.

benmealer
01-07-2009, 03:55 PM
You can put down the Hanson's for their pop music,but you gotta admit the girl in the band was kind of cute.

this one?
http://www.thankyouforyoursubmission.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/11/sandrakpose.jpg

keonepax
01-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I have to admit my disappointment after reading some of the stuff posted on this "congratulatory" thread.

The Bushman contest generated a lot of wonderful videos. I think Bushman deserves a lot of credit for sponsoring the contest and putting up the prizes. It's a good thing for the ukulele community because of the interest generated. Who knows how many people have been inspired to try to learn the ukulele after seeing some of these videos?

There were many, many excellent videos that deserved recognition. Obviously, there was inevitably going to be some disagreement over who should have won. Opinions are most definitely welcome in a forum, but is it necessary to put down any of the winners in what's supposed to be a congratulatory thread, particularly when some of the winners are UU members?

I think "rants" about judging, people's musical tastes, perceptions of the ukulele, etc. are better off being done on separate threads. This one felt like a "congratulations, but we're disappointed in the results."

Kudos to the winning video. Obviously a lot of practice went into the performance, and Lord knows how many takes you must have recorded. Yet you didn't lose your beautiful smiles. What's amazing is you didn't need special effects or fancy editing. Just awesome and a joy to watch.

Tanizaki
01-07-2009, 04:16 PM

What is the difference, and why does it matter in the slightest?

So far as I know, Itzhak Perlman and Plácido Domingo have composed little to nothing. I am not prepared to dismiss them as non-musician cover artists who simply play (or sing) music.

Tanizaki
01-07-2009, 04:17 PM
P.S I find it hilarious that someone got a mention doing I'm Yours...COME ON!

All ukulele stores should have "NO I'M YOURS" signs.

I refuse to learn the tune.

Tanizaki
01-07-2009, 04:20 PM
As you said a lot of these songs give the uke a bad name, making it seem like some sort of comedy prop in a video. I think the fact it's so easy to pick up is partly to blame for this, it may be easy to pick up but it's bloody hard to play well. The uke doesn't have the best of reputations outside Hawaii and silly videos don't do it any good. It's a real shame in my opinion because people like Aldrine and Jake S show us how serious and impressive the instrument can be. It can be appreciated as a real instrument without turning it into a drum or knitting a special little hat for the headstock.

This came up in the Tiny Tim thread last week. Who gets to tell you that you are giving the ukulele a bad name? If how serious or impressive an instrument is perceived matters to you, I think you are playing it for the wrong reason.

Tanizaki
01-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Quoted for truth. The snobbery that oozes from this thread is astounding. A lot of lip service is paid around here to, "Oh we play the ukulele and are so mellow and aloha" but people sure have their opinions about how other people get to play the instrument. Do a search for "Tiny Tim" if you have any questions about this.

A cover of a bubble gum pop tune won the contest. So what? It is hard for me to imagine why anyone should even care. That winner, the I'm yours honorable mention (I can't stand the song but that's beside the point), and everyone else who entered gets to play whatever they damn well please however they damn well please.

I will probably never write a song. I like playing covers. I like playing Centerfold. I like playing Jessie's Girl. Anyone care to tell me how this makes me any less of a ukulele player?

rayan
01-07-2009, 04:52 PM
I have to admit my disappointment after reading some of the stuff posted on this "congratulatory" thread.

The Bushman contest generated a lot of wonderful videos. I think Bushman deserves a lot of credit for sponsoring the contest and putting up the prizes. It's a good thing for the ukulele community because of the interest generated. Who knows how many people have been inspired to try to learn the ukulele after seeing some of these videos?

There were many, many excellent videos that deserved recognition. Obviously, there was inevitably going to be some disagreement over who should have won. Opinions are most definitely welcome in a forum, but is it necessary to put down any of the winners in what's supposed to be a congratulatory thread, particularly when some of the winners are UU members?

I think "rants" about judging, people's musical tastes, perceptions of the ukulele, etc. are better off being done on separate threads. This one felt like a "congratulations, but we're disappointed in the results."

Kudos to the winning video. Obviously a lot of practice went into the performance, and Lord knows how many takes you must have recorded. Yet you didn't lose your beautiful smiles. What's amazing is you didn't need special effects or fancy editing. Just awesome and a joy to watch.

Well said Keone and congratulations btw. It's good to see you getting some props.

For everyone else, it's ok to disagree with who was chosen but there's no need to put down anyone's videos. All the winners did was put the effort into making a video and enter. Don't kill their high with all this BS. you guys are all better than that. I said earlier that I did not expect this attitude from a lot of you. It's okay to have opinions and be disappointed by the results but there was so much negativity in some of the posts I was shocked.

There was a thread for last year's Bushman contest on another website that was almost identical to this thread with people putting down Julia Nunes and how she didn't deserve it. I'm hoping that UU is not turning into an elitist community like that one.

Congratulate the winners and if you still are upset, send a e-mail to bushman directly and ask them why they chose who they did. Complaining and criticizing people who did nothing wrong just makes everyone here look bad.

Kaneohe til the end
01-07-2009, 05:41 PM
I gave Adelle positive rep points for that rant. Well said. Bubble Gum thoughtless covers of pop songs that originally took minutes to write don't help the instrument. In fact it doesn't help any musician who wants to be taken seriously. Ask anyone who's a one hit wonder? They had that song that took 2 minutes to write, the record company released that one as the single, and it became a hit, and boom goes the dynamite - no one takes them seriously anymore.

I need to say this. once upon a time, you gave me negative rep (a well deserved one) for talking about rap in the same way you're talking about pop in this post. You just hated on a whole genre on the basis of a few people, which is what i did, but what YOU said changed my perspective on this.

6.) Entries will be judged on a variety of factors including: entertainment value, technical ability, creative video presentation, and humor.

i think about 98% of the people who complained missed this part of the criteria

people can complain if they want....the way people pronounce ukulele

now who has done that:rolleyes:

Well said Keone and congratulations btw. It's good to see you getting some props.

For everyone else, it's ok to disagree with who was chosen but there's no need to put down anyone's videos. All the winners did was put the effort into making a video and enter. Don't kill their high with all this BS. you guys are all better than that. I said earlier that I did not expect this attitude from a lot of you. It's okay to have opinions and be disappointed by the results but there was so much negativity in some of the posts I was shocked.

There was a thread for last year's Bushman contest on another website that was almost identical to this thread with people putting down Julia Nunes and how she didn't deserve it. I'm hoping that UU is not turning into an elitist community like that one.

Congratulate the winners and if you still are upset, send a e-mail to bushman directly and ask them why they chose who they did. Complaining and criticizing people who did nothing wrong just makes everyone here look bad.

i agree completely.

For a second lets all believe that Bushman is not the corporate monster you all claim it to be.Think about this everybody, what if Julia Nunes entered again, or if Jake or Aldrine entered. Would that be fair? The reason the humor, entertainment etc criteria were added is because i assume they wanted everyone to have an equal chance. you cant win with only one or a few of the criteria. you need some of it all. Seeso's Hotel California video was good. damn good. but not humorous. I can see why who won in fact won. it fit the criteria.

SamWise
01-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I was well aware of the emphasis on "entertainment", which is where I solidly focussed two of my entries. When I was watching through the winning videos, I thought "Yeah, good choice", and "Hmmm, interesting", and "I might have had that one higher". Those things are all fine with me - I watched the winning video, and loved it, and though I wasn't sure it really justified being more entertaining than "The nerd and the pirate", for instance, I wasn't uncomfortable that it won. Just a couple of the videos, however, (and I'm not going to say which), made me think "what the hell?". That's what I found disappointing.

I'm still very thankful for the contest taking place, loved being involved, and will do so again next year.

Plainsong
01-07-2009, 10:50 PM
It's not snobbery to take bubblegum pop songs that took 2 minutes to write not seriously.

It wouldn't matter if this was Ukulele Underground, Guitar Underground, Bass Underground, Percussion Underground, Piano and Synth Underground.. it's got zero to do with the instrumentation.

It's just human nature to not take such songs seriously. That's fine if you're sitting on the beach, or with a group of friends, or whatever. Who cares? It does matter in a competitive setting.

It's all about context. It's not just being contrary for the sake of being contrary, and it has zero to do with the uke.

And it also has zero to do with hating on the winners. I mean they had the pulse of the contest. They had Bushman's number. There's a reason corporate music likes those types of songs.

It doesn't hurt the reputation of the uke because it has nothing to do with the uke. It doesn't have anything to do with hating on the winners all caught in the imaginary crossfire here.

It just is what it is. If you want to win a corportate music contest, do something commercial.

ukulelefatman
01-07-2009, 11:07 PM
To put this subject to bed....why not vote a winner chosen by UU members?

No monetary prize need be awarded, but a letter of recognition sent by UU acknowledging their talent, and our heartfelt respect.

To be recognized by your "comrades in koa" may be worth more than any material thing (at least that's what you can tell everybody!)

deach
01-08-2009, 12:47 AM

Great point!

Mods - I suggest you lock this thread and try to separate it. Create 2 new threads. One congratulating the winners and another for a discussion of the judging process.

btw - Congrats John!

Tanizaki
01-08-2009, 02:53 AM
It's not snobbery to take bubblegum pop songs that took 2 minutes to write not seriously.
Why?

It wouldn't matter if this was Ukulele Underground, Guitar Underground, Bass Underground, Percussion Underground, Piano and Synth Underground.. it's got zero to do with the instrumentation.
I am not sure of your point here.

It's just human nature to not take such songs seriously. That's fine if you're sitting on the beach, or with a group of friends, or whatever. Who cares? It does matter in a competitive setting.
This is a good example of what is called "making conclusory statements while providing zero evidence". What evidence do you have of human nature regarding such songs? It seems to me that a goods measure of what people take seriously is to follow the money, and both "MMMBop" and the album that featured it went multi-platinum.

This was a competitive setting, and the criteria for competitive success were stated from the word go. You may not like those criteria, but it wasn't your contest.

It's all about context. It's not just being contrary for the sake of being contrary, and it has zero to do with the uke.
The context in this instance was a contest with stated criteria of entertainment value, technical ability, creative video presentation, and humor. Did you make a submission? If so, how humorous was it? How entertaining?

And it also has zero to do with hating on the winners. I mean they had the pulse of the contest. They had Bushman's number. There's a reason corporate music likes those types of songs.
Because people use their money to show what music they take seriously? It may surprise you, but there are some people who do not consider "corporate" to be a slur.

I'll bet your home, the clothes on your back, and your ukulele were all made by corporations.

It just is what it is. If you want to win a corportate music contest, do something commercial.

Someone was asking for more information about "butthurt" last week. If that person is reading, see above.

haole
01-08-2009, 03:53 AM
Some of the most insipid bubblegum pop songs have the ability to work their way into your brain for days at a time, and that alone takes some skill. Few people have the ability to churn out an extremely catchy hook in two minutes. I don't understand why this turned into bashing songwriters or individual contestants just because the contest results were disappointing. :eek: Imagine if some of the winners saw the UU link and decided to drop by, only to see all the bitterness directed at them. Bushman, for one reason or another, decided that certain entries should win. Whether we agree with the choices or not, it's not the fault of the people who entered.

seeso
01-08-2009, 04:08 AM
Locking this thread.