NUD Kala Solid Acacia Baritone KA-ASAC-B

JonThysell

Reaction score
It's my first baritone, first slot-head, first uke I might need to get a strap for! Never thought I'd buy a bari (tenors already stretch my fingers a bit much) but this one was just too pretty to pass up.

I've immediately tuned it to DGBD, since I intend on using it for slack-key (at least at first, who knows later). Though I'm not so sure about wound strings.

Any recommendations on unwound linear baritone strings that I can keep tuned to DGBD? I'll order some Living Water at least, maybe some Worth Browns. I looked at Southcoast, but it's a little bit of information overload on their site, and it seems, a lot of push toward alternate tunings just to get the strings to work.

/jon

bari1.jpg bari2.jpg bari3.jpg

Congratulations on your new ukulele! I don't have the answers to your questions, but I did want to let you know that my first tenor ukulele was the tenor version of this ukulele, and I think it's a wonderful and well-built instrument. I sold mine not long ago to a friend who was looking to move from concert to tenor, and I still get to see it when we play together. Good luck with your string questions!

My first choice would be Southcoast strings. Each string customized for the baritone scale, not just a lengthened strings. Check with them before you decide. Lots of other strings people happy with.

Congrats! It's a looker alright....

The Aquila red series low D and G baritone strings are pretty good.

Congrats....awesome looking and nice slothead on a baritone...great choice....as for strings..depends on your preference too...not only slack key.. but Martins would be a good medium to start

My wife and I both have one of these Kala baris. We've had them for about 2 years and they have "opened up" nicely. We tune DGBE and consider it a toss up between Ko'olau Gold and D'addrio Titainium. Our choice is the guitar-like feel and sound of the wound 3rd and 4th strings. Hope you enjoy your Kala as much as we have. They have become our "go-to" ukes.

Did you have any trouble with breakage? Reds on my soprano have been fine for months, but I snapped 3 low-g's on a tenor when first putting them on. I'm worried the even bigger bari would just mean more snapped strings for me.

Those acacia Kalas look sooooo nice. Good choice! :)

Southcoast does have a lot of info, but their tuning pages really make sense, and are supported by the fact that their strings sound SO GOOD! I am a fan.

For unwound linear baritone, it's gotta be Living Water. I haven't tried slack key but Ken gauges the top string on the tight side so I think taking it down a step would work ok.

Top Bottom