definitive lesson index/list

uknavynigel

Reaction score
Ive been learning for a couple of months now and know a dozen or so chords some better than others!

i did subscribe to uu+ then cancelled it as i saw there was a lot of free stuff to start me off on but now im confused where to go from here.

i need direction, i remember gibson doing a guitar course where started with lesson 1 though to 28, but the uu lessons seem a bit random or am i missing somthing?

i need a learning schedule or lesson list, can anyone help?

i would like to stick with uu as i like aldrine and his methods, but im so tempted to go with ukulele buddy but im not sure if it looks like a con?

All I did was search google and youtube for ukulele video lesson and then picked the songs I wanted to learn. There are hundreds if not thousands to chose from. You can find the youtube videos you like, bookmark them and then just set your own lessons.

thats about what i do now but im looking for some kind of structure as i want to move forward!

What are your goals? If you want to strum chords then I suggest gathering chords for all of your favorite songs and playing them, a lot. Joining a uke club and doing singalongs will push you even faster. Buying one of the Jim Belhoff Daily Ukulele books and learning every song is another good way to push yourself. His books have 365 and 366 songs. The yellow book is easier but it has only 365 songs, so on leap year you will have a problem

If I wanted to get really good at finger picking I would find a teacher who could play that way and pay him/her to teach me.

Do you play any other instruments?

i started on guitar but struggled too much with barre chords and got disheartened, im progressing well (i think) with the ukeulele so its keeping me at it.
i like a bit of both i particularly like to finger pick as i think it sounds nicer but id like to learn both, i might look in to the jim beloff books (its my birthday soon ;) )

i would love to find a decent video course though :( besides uu as uu seems higgledy piggledy

i started on guitar but struggled too much with barre chords and got disheartened, im progressing well (i think) with the ukeulele so its keeping me at it.
i like a bit of both i particularly like to finger pick as i think it sounds nicer but id like to learn both, i might look in to the jim beloff books (its my birthday soon ;) )

i would love to find a decent video course though :( besides uu as uu seems higgledy piggledy

http://ukulelehunt.com/2008/04/30/ukulele-grades-victoria-college-of-music/

http://www.the-musical-ukulele.com/vcm-exams-and-musc/vcm-ukulele-exam-books/

Last edited:
The whole ukulele world is higgledy piggledy. We have self-taught people who have never played anything, self-taught former guitarists, people playing bluegrass as if their uke was a banjo, people strumming in all different ways and former tenor guitarists and mandolin players flat picking. There are slide blues players and wanna-be jazz guitarists and really-first-rate jazz guitarists. Besides that we have home builders making ukes out of cigar boxes and spam cans and heaven knows what else. Then there are taro patch players and people who tune in fifths and Canadians who tune in 1920's D6 tuning. And they are all correct. So there is no such thing as a standard method, but there are oodles of lessons on YouTube, and a few don't contradict each other. So you can take your choice. Hence my advice to find someone who is really good at a style that you like and pay for lessons.

But I think chording along with songs can be learned for free at a local uke gathering - I would only pay to learn finger picking or chord melody or something more complex. None of that is to put down any teachers of strumming, you would learn any skill faster with a good teacher. I'm just not sure that you need one for strumming.

I pick songs on UU and I go with the flow.... I'm not the technical type..(scales, chords...etc) when I'm ready to learn the scales then I'll attack them. Well the chords are always a new step on any instrument. I started to play songs I already know on the guitar, when I am stuck on a chord, I look it up. That's just my way.

I've been working my way thru Ukulele for Dummies, Mark Nelson's fingerpicking book, and now Ukulele Exercises for Dummies. All three are laid out progressively and I pick and chose what interests me and presents the next challenge.

Thanks for all the advice, I could do with joining my local club, I'm just a bit apprehensive :-( don't wanna look a fool. It's also on a night when I go to another meeting and it will clash slightly and the OH would not come tit
To the ukulele club so I would have to go all the way out of town to take her home, still ill sort somthing out :)

Check out Hal Leonard ukulele method book 1 and 2.

Thanks for all the advice, I could do with joining my local club, I'm just a bit apprehensive :-( don't wanna look a fool. It's also on a night when I go to another meeting and it will clash slightly and the OH would not come tit
To the ukulele club so I would have to go all the way out of town to take her home, still ill sort somthing out :)
Well I had those worries about the club, I was so wrong, everyone was a great help to me, some of us are about the same level and I took my OH because it's a bit of a distance and he needed a boat part in the same vicinity. He had so much fun he isn't going to the meeting he has this month at the same time instead he is coming to the Uke club,

Welcome! Don't be the least bit afraid of making a fool of yourself with other ukers....I'm pretty sure that's what we;re supposed to do, from what I've seen....have a blast!

I tried a number of sites for lessons and settled on UU+. I've gone through 101, 102, and 103 now and started concentrating on the parts that interested me. I also practice each day by doing finger stretching and scale exercises...briefly. Then I play the dozen or so songs I have picked for my personal song book. As I progress I add little extras to those songs so that I'm not repeating the same groove all the time. Each few days I add a new song that has something in it that pushes my skill. A bit of fingerpicking, some slides, blues riffs, etc. Through all this I remember to have fun.... lots of it. I simply love the sound of my uke and I get a kick from singing. A joyous way to start the day...hoo ha! In summary I mostly play chords and sing. As another forum member said, " It's not a competition."

Last edited:
I should add that I would love to have a real live teacher but that is not available here in the boonies. On the other hand I've found an amazing amount of UU, UU+ and YouTube teaching that allows me to repeat, repeat and repeat the information. I need that.

I'm doign what flailingfingers is doing. I have a binder with sections and go through the sections. finger stretches, chords, chord progressions, songs, etc..

Apart from being a fool at the local club and trying to play my favourite songs I signed up for James Hill's Ukulele in the classroom course. 3 books with cds but no dvd. I am having fun with that.

Top Bottom