PDA

View Full Version : Need Alternative Chords Again

amp5390
07-16-2013, 09:14 AM
The chords on acoustic guitar are A D/A BM7 A/C# Dmaj7 f#m7 f#m D2

its in the key of A and I have to play it with a full band... is there an alternate way I can tune the ukulele, for easier chords to play or capo it or anything?

Pondoro
07-16-2013, 09:35 AM
No offense but these are pretty easy in standard tuning. Don't worry about the letters after the /'s. So you need: A, D, Dmaj7, F#m7, F#m and D2.

I am assuming you've been playing a while since you plan to play with a band.

A and D2 are easy. D2 is just two fingers on the 3rd and 4th strings, at the second fret. If D is hard D2 is good practice (it is not a good substitute for D but it is good practice for D).

D was hard for me at first but it is a vital uke chord so I learned it, you need to learn it as well. You can do it with three fingers on the 2nd fret, one bent finger on 2 for strings 2,3 qnd 4 but not touching 1 (I had trouble with both of these but got them eventually) or barre at 2 and pinky on five (I think 5, I don't have a uke with me). This last D was easiest for me at first.

F#m is a lot like G7 but on the 2,3 and 4 strings instead of 1,2 and 3. Do you know G7? I am guessing you do. F#m7 is harder but you can get by with F#m for now, it is a fair substitute. So you should be in business.

OldePhart
07-16-2013, 11:38 AM
@amp5390 - Pondoro has answered your specific questions but I'll add: if you are playing with a band it really is time to learn at least a little chord theory - then you can easily figure these things out yourself. You won't always have enough warning to consult forums for answers to those questions. You could, of course, haul a massive chord book to each rehearsal and gig but if you learn a few very simple rules about how chords are constructed you'll be able to figure out fingerings for yourself in a couple of minutes.

If you google "chord theory" or similar terms you'll find tons of resources for learning that.

John