12 fret vs 14 fret neck

SamUke

Reaction score
I am looking a soprano with a 14 frets to body with 19 frets total. Does this mean that the scale length is longer than if it was 12 frets to body? Thanks!

With 14 frets to the body it's likely a concert sized neck so technically it's a super-soprano. What model are you looking at?

Kurt

Scale length should not be confused with where a neck connects with a body. Scale length is the distance from the nut to the 12th fret X 2 (minus any compensation). A scale length will remain the same no matter where it is connected to the body. In theory, any neck can be join at any fret on any sized body as long as there is room for the bridge somewhere on the lower bout. In the real world you'll want the bridge to be located somewhere around the middle of the lower bout or as close to the "sweet spot" as you can. Compromises to this position are made when a player wants easier access to the frets on the neck. Reasons for "super" ukes are usually to have wider fret spacing on a neck while attempting to retain the sound of a smaller body (which it never really does) as in the case of a super soprano (concert neck on a soprano body. I have a friend that recently built a "super super" soprano. A tenor neck on a soprano body (it looked pretty goofy) that had to have a neck connection somewhere around the 17th fit in order to locate the bridge in a reasonable position.
So, the answer to your question is no, not necessarily. You need to ask what the scale length is.

In the real world you'll want the bridge to be located somewhere around the middle of the lower bout or as close to the "sweet spot" as you can.

Great overall explanation, Chuck. Relating to your comment about the bridge location being in the "sweet spot," my Black Bear soprano pineapple is joined at the 14th fret, and yes the bridge is higher up the body than I would expect on a traditional shaped uke. I always loved that this soprano was joined at the 14th fret, but never knew why. I think you just explained it exactly. The sweet spot on a pineapple has to be closer to the middle of the body overall, since there is no true lower bout. Thanks, Chuck! (... and thanks, Duane! Still really enjoying the macadamia pineapple!)

Not sure if SamUke is open to the pineapple shape, but that might be your answer to finding a soprano joined at the 14th. They're not for everyone, but I know now that if you get a good one, it can be a lot of fun and sound great!

-Steve

I'd go with the 14 frets to the body, i.e. longneck soprano. I have a KoAloha longneck and there are songs when I'm glad I have those extra good sounding frets.

Although I have been told that any uke player that goes beyond the 5th fret is just showing off...;)

I owned a KoAloha tenor necked soprano that I bought from HMS and Andrew.

Mine didn't look goofy. :rolleyes:

Although I have been told that any uke player that goes beyond the 5th fret is just showing off...;)

:agree: :biglaugh:

Oh come on OldePhart, if I may call you that, I don't know you after all...

I go past the 5th fret all the tie and she squeals with delight. I especially like that Dm7 at the seventh fret...you know,
7,9,10,8...Sweet!

Scale length should not be confused with where a neck connects with a body. Scale length is the distance from the nut to the 12th fret X 2 (minus any compensation). A scale length will remain the same no matter where it is connected to the body. In theory, any neck can be join at any fret on any sized body as long as there is room for the bridge somewhere on the lower bout. In the real world you'll want the bridge to be located somewhere around the middle of the lower bout or as close to the "sweet spot" as you can. Compromises to this position are made when a player wants easier access to the frets on the neck. Reasons for "super" ukes are usually to have wider fret spacing on a neck while attempting to retain the sound of a smaller body (which it never really does) as in the case of a super soprano (concert neck on a soprano body. I have a friend that recently built a "super super" soprano. A tenor neck on a soprano body (it looked pretty goofy) that had to have a neck connection somewhere around the 17th fit in order to locate the bridge in a reasonable position.
So, the answer to your question is no, not necessarily. You need to ask what the scale length is.

Is there an app for that??

Seriously though, as a builder do you use a mathematical formula when you design a new uke? Or a template?

Oh come on OldePhart, if I may call you that, I don't know you after all...

I go past the 5th fret all the tie and she squeals with delight. I especially like that Dm7 at the seventh fret...you know,
7,9,10,8...Sweet!

Well...see...there you go showing off...the Dm7 at the first fret (2213) is perfectly acceptable... :p

Of course, I think Gillian was being a bit tongue in cheek (and I know I was).

John

Thanks guys...so on a 14 to body will the fret spacing be greater up and down the neck?

Other than Kanilea, are there any other non-custom ukulele makers/companies that join their necks at the 14th fret(w/ standard soprano scale)?

Other than Kanilea, are there any other non-custom ukulele makers/companies that join their necks at the 14th fret(w/ standard soprano scale)?

Contact Mike at UkeRepublic. His Sailor Brand Ukes come standard with a 14th fret neck joint on all sopranos. Can't go wrong with a Kanilea, though :)

LoPrinzi comes to mind...hmm that's a good question though.

Contact Mike at UkeRepublic. His Sailor Brand Ukes come standard with a 14th fret neck joint on all sopranos. Can't go wrong with a Kanilea, though :)

I was asking out of curiosity more than anything else. I need a new uke, like I need a hole in my head. It's getting to the point where I may have to adopt the one in, one out rule. Not that I'd mind owning any of the ukes mentioned. :drool:

Top Bottom