Which type of glue for sand inlay?

Perhaps a silly question, but what is a sand inlay?
Regards
Dennis

instead of wood or mop ablone inlay, you use sand, like on some of kanileas headstock logos and rosette.

so far ive tried the CA method, just bought some epoxy. will find out which one I like best.

Perhaps a silly question, but what is a sand inlay?
Regards
Dennis

I've used both CA and epoxy on crushed turquoise and it worked great but I also put down some shellac before I cut things to keep the glues from soaking in to the top. I did this on a headstock. I'm gonna experiment with cutting things with my laser to do rosettes.

Back a few decades ago when turquoise chip inlay was the big thing, I found that for thick inlays that clear epoxy worked well topped off with a (for lack of a better term) "wash" coat of CA to give it a nice gloss and fill any pores or bubbles left from sanding the epoxy.

You can get some dry paint pigments and color the epoxy for added effects. Making your own recon stone. There is no reason you could not make it every bit as brilliant as purchased in slab recon stone. With a little work you can make custom lines, swirls etc to fit your piece. Check out resin cast jewelry supplies. Endless possibilities.

Try Inlace. Way easier to work down than sand or stone, comes in cool colors or can be tinted, has lots of special effects already available, and there's a decent book about how to use it (mostly gourd oriented, though). At $30 a can its not cheap, though, and if you try to hoard it for a couple years it will jell in the can.

Top Bottom