PDA

View Full Version : fingernail damage

danifuku
07-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Ive been playing a lot lately and my fingernail has been wearing down on one side. Is it because of bad technique. Am I strumming too hard?
Help, I dont wanna lose a nail! :)

The Great Bedini
07-17-2013, 02:37 AM
It's great that you're playing that much. Nothing improves your skills like practice. Now, as to your problem. I'd say you are probably strumming a little heavy on the side of your finger. You might want to experiment with changing your hand position occasionally to use a different part of the nail. Clear nail polish also slows down the wear.

However, I think that fingernail wear is just a part of the game. Use your thumb some, fingerpick some, and file rough edges as needed. I've been playing guitar for 45 years, and had wear on my fingernails from different techniques. Never lost a nail to it, though. Good luck.

PhilUSAFRet
07-17-2013, 02:38 AM
Could be a couple of things. Perhaps you are strumming too hard....or....your nails are too soft (more likely). I have a similar problem and live with it. Some folks get acrylic nails which create their own set of long-term problems. May be some kinder, gentler strings than the one's you are using. I don't know how long you have been playing, but beginners often press on their strings harder than necessary, strum harder than necessary, etc. I'm sure you'll get some more feedback for your post. Good luck

OldePhart
07-17-2013, 02:49 AM
I use nail hardener on the nails on my left hand. Even so, I never have to file my index finger and sometimes it actually wears down enough to be so short that I am basically strumming with flesh instead of nail. To me, that's a good thing, it means I'm getting enough ukulele time in. :)

John

Mandarb
07-17-2013, 03:04 AM
I use nail hardener on the nails on my left hand. Even so, I never have to file my index finger and sometimes it actually wears down enough to be so short that I am basically strumming with flesh instead of nail. To me, that's a good thing, it means I'm getting enough ukulele time in. :)

John

I thought you played right handed. Why do you put nail hardener on your fretting hand?

river_driver
07-17-2013, 03:10 AM
Do you have wound strings on your uke? If so, you might want to try an all-monofilament set.

danifuku
07-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Thank you people for all your great advice!

I think I'm gonna try and use a different part of the nail and try not to strum so hard.

Thanks again! This forum is the greatest! :D

Do you have wound strings on your uke? If so, you might want to try an all-monofilament set.

I don't think my strings are wound strings. :o

OldePhart
07-17-2013, 05:16 PM
I thought you played right handed. Why do you put nail hardener on your fretting hand?

Doh! I meant right hand. Don't know where left hand came from. LOL

John

armchair_spaceman
07-17-2013, 08:38 PM

John

Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing? ( somebody had to :D )

OldePhart
07-18-2013, 02:37 AM
Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing? ( somebody had to :D )

Quite often, my right hand doesn't know what my right hand is doing...

Mandarb
07-18-2013, 03:38 AM

John

Ok - just thought maybe I was missing something. Take care John.

Katz-in-Boots
07-18-2013, 06:27 PM
I also have nail damage, my nail shreds almost every time I play, but always worse at group sessions. I'm trying to alter my strumming technique, but no success so far. I'm seriously considering fake nails but worry that could hurt more.

It's only my index finger, middle finger doesn't shred, and it ends up worn at roughly 45 degrees to the rest of the nail (if you can figure that out.). Clearly I'm doing something seriously wrong.

UncleElvis
07-18-2013, 07:07 PM
I've been using an acrylic on my right index for about a year now, with no damage to the underlying nail (except for the one time I let it grow out too much and the edge caught on the strings, something that doesn't happen if you keep up with filling. I made a leather band/pick for my finger while it grew back out) and I won't be going back! *grin*
Saved my butt, I'll tell you.
I do a three hour gig, four times a week and there is no wear on it at all.