A Couple od Design Questions for Builders

Kevin B

Reaction score
Are the ukes with the dot inlays on the bridge that cover mounting screws effected tonally by having the screws. Does it hurt the sound? I ask because I see it on some cheaper ukuleles.

Secondly, does the finger board extending several frets over the sound board on a soprano (with its smaller surface area) hurt the sound board's function. What I mean is does that fret board glued to the top mute the vibrations?

These question have been bugging me because I see some sopranos that have a fret board that terminates at the neck joint while others continue almost to the sound hole.

I'm looking a few ukes and have noticed these variations on design.

Note: title should have read, A Couple of Design Questions

Last edited:
Lots of things can affect the sound in any price range. Whether it hurts the sound is subjective. Just buy the uke you think sounds and plays best. Maybe bring a friend along for a second opinion

The dots and screws don't effect tone as much as a cheap uke's need for screws, which is bad (sometimes no) wood to wood, ie bridge to top, gluing surface. A fast way to do it is to leave a few mm around the inside of the bridge footprint.

Fingerboard extending onto the top doesn't affect tone, not enough for you to worry about anyway. Vibration stops (kinda) just below the sound hole.

Ha - stumbled into some potentially contentious issues! Opinions on these types of matters vary greatly across builders, so the following responses are my opinions only... Take them as you will.

Are the ukes with the dot inlays on the bridge that cover mounting screws effected tonally by having the screws. Does it hurt the sound? I ask because I see it on some cheaper ukuleles.

Well, think of it this way - why? That is, why have they been placed there? A well fitted bridge with a purely glued joint is more than adequate for the purpose. Nevertheless, on cheap instruments in most cases, design details get chosen with production simplicity or time saving or long term security in mind, more than any tonal consideration. Does it hurt that particular individual ukuleles tone? Potentially imo, but who knows? If you've the opportunity, take them out and see if you can hear any difference.

Secondly, does the finger board extending several frets over the sound board on a soprano (with its smaller surface area) hurt the sound board's function. What I mean is does that fret board glued to the top mute the vibrations?

The 'whole' of this answer would relate to the design of the instrument. In many cases and certainly that of cheaper instruments, the upper bout above the soundhole will have little effect on the tops performance. That said, there are ways in which the active area of a soundboard can be increased/exploited including bracing techniques, cantilevered fretboard/necks etc. Some will certainly argue that they gain better results in the upper bout by doing this, than when they do not. In your particular case, I would not be overly concerned. I do not think you are likely to hear the difference.

Hope it helps.

I noticed there are many more questions back at you. Your question as stated indicates the wrong criteria used to choose a uke.
If the real question is "what is the least expensive uke that sounds and plays good?" you should ask it in the Uke Talk section.

Actually,I chose this forum because I am preparing to purchase a solid top uke. It will be mass produced. I have noticed the noted differences among manufacturers. A builder would likely have an opinion on this topic. And of. course preferences vary.

No offense intended. I assumed since you asked about screwed down bridges, you were looking at inexpensive ukuleles.

Of course builders have an opinion on everything, but asking people who buy lots and lots of ukes (Uke Talk forum) is likely to get a better sense of mass produced ukuleles.
Other than picking up something or other in Guitar Center, I never mess with them.

Top Bottom