Teaching Myself the Ukulele in 6 Months

Kyle23

Reaction score
So I've been tracking my progress since day 1 because someone on here told me in my first thread to record myself playing in order to really hear what I'm doing wrong and it gave me a great idea to keep track of my progress. Recently, I was inspired by a youtube video of a girl who taught herself to dance in a year and it made me want to make my own. I really want to thank the people on these forums for helping me along the way. I couldn't have done any of this without you. To be honest, when I first thought about learning an instrument, I told myself I'd be satisfied with just learning a song or two. But after a few months, I really have pushed myself to keep learning. If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it. Thanks and here's my little video.

Bravo! I remember when you posted that Day 1 vid. Your improvement is awesome!!

Thanks a lot! I want to go back and look at my first threads to see who suggested that I record myself. Want to thank them.

AH HA, it was teruterubouzu. I thought it was her.

Last edited:
Thanks for the vid Kyle. Just think what the next 6 months ( and the next 6 years) will bring!

Uke on!

So I've been tracking my progress since day 1 because someone on here told me in my first thread to record myself playing in order to really hear what I'm doing wrong and it gave me a great idea to keep track of my progress. Recently, I was inspired by a youtube video of a girl who taught herself to dance in a year and it made me want to make my own. I really want to thank the people on these forums for helping me along the way. I couldn't have done any of this without you. To be honest, when I first thought about learning an instrument, I told myself I'd be satisfied with just learning a song or two. But after a few months, I really have pushed myself to keep learning. If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it. Thanks and here's my little video.

I think I was the person to tell you to record yourself. Way cool that you kept on doing it. You are sounding really good. I really enjoyed the video. :)

Wish I had taken my own advice. I only recorded myself for the first few days and then felt self conscious.

Thanks a lot! I want to go back and look at my first threads to see who suggested that I record myself. Want to thank them.

AH HA, it was teruterubouzu. I thought it was her.

:) Glad you kept on with it, my friend!

I think I was the person to tell you to record yourself. Way cool that you kept on doing it. You are sounding really good. I really enjoyed the video. :)

Wish I had taken my own advice. I only recorded myself for the first few days and then felt self conscious.

Really appreciate it. I knew it was you, but went back just in case so I didn't look dumb. If you ever feel up to it, I'd love to see an update video of you playing.

You're doing really well. You look to have got the hang of barre chords which I haven't yet got on top of after well over two years. I've got to get Bb sorted by September for a gig.

You've obviously put a lot of work in. Have thought of putting in a video for the seasons of the ukulele? I think you'll find you'll be well received.

You're doing really well. You look to have got the hang of barre chords which I haven't yet got on top of after well over two years. I've got to get Bb sorted by September for a gig.

You've obviously put a lot of work in. Have thought of putting in a video for the seasons of the ukulele? I think you'll find you'll be well received.

Thank you. I really love barre chords, especially because muting is much easier when using them. I HATE Bb though, I've gotten better, but jeez do I hate that damn chord.

I've done I think 1 song for seasons of the ukulele. I've been waiting for a topic that I already have a song for and none ever come up. I might just have to learn a song after I see the topic just to submit a video.

Thank you. I really love barre chords, especially because muting is much easier when using them. I HATE Bb though, I've gotten better, but jeez do I hate that damn chord.

(respectfully snipped)

Bb is my enemy too!

This year has been a weird one for me so I haven't played as much as I did in the beginning, but I'm still having fun. I set a goal that I will upload a video before the end of the year. We'll see... :p

Bb is my enemy too!

This year has been a weird one for me so I haven't played as much as I did in the beginning, but I'm still having fun. I set a goal that I will upload a video before the end of the year. We'll see... :p
I'll hold you to it.

really enjoyed watching your progress, your vid will inspire a lot of the beginners on UU, keep up the great work Kyle

really enjoyed watching your progress, your vid will inspire a lot of the beginners on UU, keep up the great work Kyle

I will, thank you. And I was going to post it in the Beginner section also, but I don't know if it's acceptable to post the same thread in 2 different forums.

Wow this is a cool video, thanks for sharing. Your video sure will encourage many self-learning ukers! Thank you! And congratulations!

Appreciate it Hammond!

Bb has been killing me as well - it is the enemy standing between me and "Do the Freddie."
After last night, I really wanted to work hard on it today and I find it much easier to barre the whole first fret.

Top Bottom