Looking for a Uke but need some help

learnukulele

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm looking for a new Uke. I currently have one which I bought for £15 (about $20 US) but I have think I would enjoy my playing more if I paid for something a bit better.

I want to spend less than £100 (about $145 US) and ideally would like a concert sized instrument but would happily stick with a soprano if I can get more for my money.

What models should I look for in that price range?

Thanks
Andrew

Kala is better, lots of choices; not sure price, but lowest price "playable" uke IMO is a Makala.
Makala is bottom of the line, but actually intonates well and plays/sounds decent.
good luck

Let me refer you to this thread as I believe you're in a similar situation as the OP.

I've seen an Oscar Schmidt OU5DL Deluxe Concert size KOA Ukulele for the top end of my price range.

Anybody had any experience with this particular instrument or brand and would you recommend?

Thanks

New ukulele

Hi Andrew

I have a cheap Mahalo U30 a yellow one, it's strung with Worth strings for a tenor ukulele. The result is a really sweet tone with good volume.
You might want to look at a Hora Romanian built ukulele from Gremlin or Hobgoblin Music. I play a Sitka spruce tenor (Romanian)ukulele with Worth strings the whole lot cost about £60. Sitka spruce improves with playing it is not exactly soft and round in sound put you can get a great tone and volume from such an instrument.
Toubisard

kinda the same situation

I too am looking for a new uke and looking to spend about the same amount. (preferably a concert size)

I came across after a quick google search.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mitchell-MU70-Concert-Size-12-Fret-Ukulele-103815981-i1171408.gc

Anyone know how good these are.
Not too worried about strings cuz i have a couple extra packets of aquilas lying around, but I am concerned about intonation in the higher frets because the uke I have now starts getting pretty sharp around the 7/8 fret.

So, yeah, any help is much appreciated.

edit-
i might note that i have been playing for about 3ish months and am getting pretty good
i am mainly looking to upgrade for a better quality instrument

Last edited:
Why not check out MGM? He has a wide variety of instruments to meet every budget. A number of folks have ordered through him and have been very satisfied with his customer service. Contact him via email or land line and he'll try to answer any questions you may have about ukuleles.

I dont know if you went ahead and got something yet, but I have that Mu70, however I was under the impression its a tenor (I might have been playing a concert the whole time o_O). I think its a good uke personally, and it was a huge upgrade for me from a Hilo soproano. Id be willing to sell it, its practically new, about 5 months old, always hung, no dings or scratches that I can see. (I want to grab a lanikai ck-teq), PM me if youre interested.

Edit: Ive been playing a concert the whole time :p

Last edited:
thanks for the offer steve

but
ive decideed on a kala ka-a from musicguymic on ebay

thanks for referring me to him Kanaka916

Uke Info

Hello, I sell Kala and Big Island Ukuleles. We are new, so please check us out at UkeRepublic.com. We have great service and great prices. We also ship from the mainland so you get your uke fast! The Kala/Makala line should fit your budget.

Top Bottom