Any guesses what kind of ukulele this is?

Ukuter

Reaction score
I'm still learning about uke types – any ideas what he's playing here? It doesn't sound like a standard ukulele…

With a low G string...

C'mon guys, stop teasing. It's a PONO. PONO stands for "produced on..." I give up.

Thanks, John. I was wondering what PONO stood for.

Looks like a Pono spruce or cedar-top tenor, maybe rosewood back and sides. Pono means "excellence" in Hawaiian, and Pono is the "import" brand of parent company Ko`olau. They are fine instruments.

That's a Pono tenor with cedar top, acacia back and sides, strung with low G Aquila strings on KoOlau proprietary geared tuners with ebony fretboard, saddle and headstock, bone nut and saddle, rope binding and purfling with high gloss finish and it's being played by Aaron Cromwell at Hawaiian Music Supply, owned and operated by Andrew Kitakis, with sales and video help from, at that time, new hire Music Guy Mike, filmed at their old location of Wahiawa, HI on April 22, 2009 from 9:33AM to 10:47AM.

Aaron had just eaten Spam, rice and eggs from Mickey D's for breakfast, if my memory serves me right, and his belching required multiple takes, but it kept us in stitches.

Aloha Guys! It is my old Pono Cedar/Mahogany. It was made before they started using the truss rod. I actually still have that one!

that's a pono tenor with cedar top, acacia back and sides, strung with low g aquila strings on koolau proprietary geared tuners with ebony fretboard, saddle and headstock, bone nut and saddle, rope binding and purfling with high gloss finish and it's being played by aaron cromwell at hawaiian music supply, owned and operated by andrew kitakis, with sales and video help from, at that time, new hire music guy mike, filmed at their old location of wahiawa, hi on april 22, 2009 from 9:33am to 10:47am.

Aaron had just eaten spam, rice and eggs from mickey d's for breakfast, if my memory serves me right, and his belching required multiple takes, but it kept us in stitches.

tmi! Lol!!!

Actually, that was recorded quite awhile before MGM started working for us.As for the dates I don't recall. The breakfast/belching comment, again, I don't remember. BTW, it's Crowell, not Cromwell...

That's a Pono tenor with cedar top, acacia back and sides, strung with low G Aquila strings on KoOlau proprietary geared tuners with ebony fretboard, saddle and headstock, bone nut and saddle, rope binding and purfling with high gloss finish and it's being played by Aaron Cromwell at Hawaiian Music Supply, owned and operated by Andrew Kitakis, with sales and video help from, at that time, new hire Music Guy Mike, filmed at their old location of Wahiawa, HI on April 22, 2009 from 9:33AM to 10:47AM.

Aaron had just eaten Spam, rice and eggs from Mickey D's for breakfast, if my memory serves me right, and his belching required multiple takes, but it kept us in stitches.

I was dyin' laughing reading this.

Top Bottom