Chords up the neck

Messifan

Reaction score
I have looked all over the internet, but can find nothing helpful. Does anyone know where I can find chord diagrams for the most commonly used chords, but farther up the neck?

Also, I would like to learn some more advanced chords as well, just to change things up a little when I play.

Thanks!

Roy Sakuma's book "Treasury of Chords" is probably one of the best resources.
It is a regular in my music bag.

I think I paid a couple of dollars for the app but Chords4Ukes works great on my iphone and is easy to use.

Another app suggestion is GuitarToolkit.
It's a bit more expensive, but worth it!
Tuner (a LOT better then any of my clip-on tuners!) metronome, all scales in any key and final, but not least: all chords in 5-7 different formations.
Also - you can plot in where on the fretboard you are holding and it will tell you what chord it is.

And finally: you can change the instrument inside the app and choose between ukulele, mandolin, banjo, bass (up to 6 Strings) and obviously guitar (6,7 and 12 Strings)
Best app I ever bought!

I think I paid a couple of dollars for the app but Chords4Ukes works great on my iphone and is easy to use.

I also recommend this app if you have a smartphone. You select a chord and it permits you to scroll through all the positions for that chord.

I have looked all over the internet, but can find nothing helpful. Does anyone know where I can find chord diagrams for the most commonly used chords, but farther up the neck?

Also, I would like to learn some more advanced chords as well, just to change things up a little when I play.

Thanks!

Are you aware of the idea of "moveable" chords ? If not learning the concept and patterns will open up the entire fretboard to you and you won't have to guess where you can find an F major or A major or whatever in different positions. The concept will demystify the fretboard which can seem like an incoherent pattern to a new player. Check out "Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps" as one source for your information.

Here's a link to Fretboard Roadmaps for Ukulele.

http://www.amazon.com/Fretboard-Roadmaps-Ukulele-Essential-Patterns/dp/1423400410/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374183926&sr=8-1&keywords=ukulele+fretboard+roadmaps

Great book.

Are you aware of the idea of "moveable" chords ? If not learning the concept and patterns will open up the entire fretboard to you and you won't have to guess where you can find an F major or A major or whatever in different positions. The concept will demystify the fretboard which can seem like an incoherent pattern to a new player. Check out "Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps" as one source for your information.

Brad Bordessa, in addition to good instruction, provides a lot of the most frequently used chord diagrams up the neck on his site, http://liveukulele.com/chords/.

I use them all the time.

I have a few chord resources, depending on how I'm using it at the time. The Fretted Friends chord bible is really good as an all-around reference and has a separate section at the back on moveable chord shapes. On both my android phone and my iPad I've got the Basichords app, and when I'm specifically looking for a 2nd or 3rd position chord, I go to this app first. Clear and fast to find what I'm looking for.

Ukulele Chord Cracker Pro, an excellent ipad/iphone app. Really well done.

I'm 110% with Bill. There are a fairly small number of "generic" chord positions which you can move all over the place. If you learn them, and the concept behind moving them, suddenly the fretboard is your playground. Then, if you want to learn a bit of theory, you can invent more unconventional shapes of your own.

Start playing a lot of Hawaiian music (not the simple Haole kind) and some of the Beetles songs....they'll have you scrambling to learn some new chords .

This could be the best.

http://www.tonalalchemy.com/

All string instruments, a large number of tunings of each instrument, reverse chord lookup, all chord options within a specific range of the fretboard -- the works.

Ralph

Check out "Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps" as one source for your information.

I agree!! This book will show you how to play chords up the fretboard.

Top Bottom