Tenor player looking at maybe a Flea or a Fluke-thoughts on those please

darylcrisp

Reaction score
been wanting to try out either a soprano or concert size, but i want it to intonate and play nice. want to keep it in the $300-500 range-used is better. i have 3 very nice tenors of differing woods and i think the smaller size would be a nice trip uke to play while the wife is driving-the tenors can have opportunity to knock her in the face.

thinking a flea or fluke might be the ticket. the youtube reviews sound promising, i like how each looks, what reviews i've found tell of a quality build and tone. anything i'm missing?
like that they are made in the USA!

and the size-which to get, that is the question.
almost want a soprano just because its smaller-push the envelope so to speak-course the fluke would give more finger room-oh yea, fingerstyle player primarily.

with one of these, new, around $200 to $225 it seems-already have a few of each model on the radar. these have the plastic fretboard-have not saw any of the rosewood fretboards in the soprano or concert for sale.
anyone with time on one of the rosewood fretboard models-does it make much of a difference?

thanks for the info
d

I have a tenor Koa Fluke and I absolutely love it! Sounds great, plays like a dream and is comfortable and very cool looking.

Scooter

Is there a store or a uke group you can attend to try the different sizes?

I'm primarily a tenor player and fingerpicker as well, have a concert Fluke and a soprano Flea. If you can't try both sizes to verify, I'd say go with concert. To me, the soprano neck is just too cramped.

Both of mine have the plastic fretboard. I have no problems with it. Wound strings are a no-no, though, as they will wear down the plastic "frets".

If you order from the Fleamarket music web site, you can order a Flea with a Concert or Tenor neck. That way you get the best of both worlds. Plastic fretboard has been fine with me, but if you want to upgrade to rosewood, I think the frets are easier to see. The Standard tuners have been fine too. I have a concert neck Camp Flea, and it is one of my workhorse ukes. Great for travel and picnics and other risky venues. I like Living Water Strings on mine.

–Lori

I have stupid, stupid love for my tenor rosette fluke. Sounds great, so solid, so well made. LOVE...sigh. The necks are ridiculously comfortable, plenty of between fret spacing but not so much as to make barring or reaching across 5 frets awkward. I love that it stands on end. I have it parked on my nightstand. The people at Flea Market Music are so kind and so nice, it is almost too good to be true. I have the rosewood fretboard--just my personal preference (plus, it looks awesome). Many love the plastic, I just haven't played one with the black fretboard. The fluke is in Lo G and is amazingly resonant. This uke is so worry free it is just a joy to play and cart around. I live in barren uke land, so I had to buy without trying based solely on reviews, sound clips, and the wonderful opinions on UU. I have never looked back.

Oh, and might I mention...I am also the proud owner of a concert flea w/a purple hibiscus soundboard and wooden fretboard. The flea started my affair with FMM, the Fluke cemented it. My flea is not as cuddled now these days since the fluke came into my life--ergonomically, the fluke is easier to play while sitting--the tenor just "works" for me. However, both are just quality. I use Worth Lo G on the Fluke (unwound G) and Martin M600s on my Flea. I think the strings really do the instruments justice, but strings are very personal.

As others have mentioned, if you can try them first, it is optimal. IMHO though, it appears that resale on flukes and fleas is very good if they end up not being your cup of tea.

I love each of my ukes for what they are. I have a Kamaka HF-3 that is sublime, but I still love the fluke 'n flea.

My babbling is probably no help to you, but since you asked :)

Overall the concert flea is the easiest to play uke I've encountered. I have a concert flea (as does my daughter) both with plastic fingerboards and a Firefly (the banjo version) with a rosewood fretboard.

I'd go for the plastic over the rosewood - the setup on the rosewood is great, but it is perfect on the plastic. Take that with the caveat that I like reentrant tuning without wound strings. Seeing the frets in low light is a problem on the plastic fretboard but overall I like it better than the rosewood. I've heard of people taking some model paint and painting the frets to make them more visible.

The seconds direct from the factory are a pretty good deal and Beth who does the sales is great to work with.

I bought the hard case designed for the flea with my daughter's uke and I can recommend that as well - very solidly built. That said, the concert flea also works nicely in a concert uke hard case from musician's friend for half the price.

I have stupid, stupid love for my tenor rosette fluke. Sounds great, so solid, so well made. LOVE...sigh. The necks are ridiculously comfortable, plenty of between fret spacing but not so much as to make barring or reaching across 5 frets awkward. I love that it stands on end. I have it parked on my nightstand. The people at Flea Market Music are so kind and so nice, it is almost too good to be true. I have the rosewood fretboard--just my personal preference (plus, it looks awesome). Many love the plastic, I just haven't played one with the black fretboard. The fluke is in Lo G and is amazingly resonant. This uke is so worry free it is just a joy to play and cart around. I live in barren uke land, so I had to buy without trying based solely on reviews, sound clips, and the wonderful opinions on UU. I have never looked back.

Oh, and might I mention...I am also the proud owner of a concert flea w/a purple hibiscus soundboard and wooden fretboard. The flea started my affair with FMM, the Fluke cemented it. My flea is not as cuddled now these days since the fluke came into my life--ergonomically, the fluke is easier to play while sitting--the tenor just "works" for me. However, both are just quality. I use Worth Lo G on the Fluke (unwound G) and Martin M600s on my Flea. I think the strings really do the instruments justice, but strings are very personal.

As others have mentioned, if you can try them first, it is optimal. IMHO though, it appears that resale on flukes and fleas is very good if they end up not being your cup of tea.

I love each of my ukes for what they are. I have a Kamaka HF-3 that is sublime, but I still love the fluke 'n flea.

My babbling is probably no help to you, but since you asked :)

your reply pretty much nailed the coffin lid on........................really!
by looking at the design, i thought along the lines with most of the things you mentioned-great to hear them in use in the real world.
by chance, have you played the concert size fluke?
i'm a diehard tenor lover, but i'm thinking a concert would be a neat travel, small pal

thank you
d

I've owned a soprano flea (awesome pineapple design), concert flea (cow print), and a tenor fluke (red). All had plastic fretboards. All were great instruments. But currently, the only one I still have is the Tenor Fluke. It's in my closet somewhere...I don't play it often, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of it b/c it's so durable and it sounds so good for a less-expensive instrument. Plus, I prefer tenor necks, and that one is quite comfortable.

I will say that I liked the sound and shape of the Fluke more than the Flea. The bigger decision is what print to get. I find the Tiki and the Surf to be very charming instruments...so many designs...

I've owned a soprano flea (awesome pineapple design), concert flea (cow print), and a tenor fluke (red). All had plastic fretboards. All were great instruments. But currently, the only one I still have is the Tenor Fluke. It's in my closet somewhere...I don't play it often, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of it b/c it's so durable and it sounds so good for a less-expensive instrument. Plus, I prefer tenor necks, and that one is quite comfortable.

I will say that I liked the sound and shape of the Fluke more than the Flea. The bigger decision is what print to get. I find the Tiki and the Surf to be very charming instruments...so many designs...

i'm thinking seriously about a concert size something-just to try. have not held or played a concert or soprano. found a really cool fluke-concert, with rosewood fretboard and the lazer etched rosette. price isn't that bad at all-maybe get a set of the pegheaz tuners for it as well-thinking it over.....................................

thanks for the reply
d

I have a tenor fluke.

I visited the Magic Fluke shop right after they moved to Sheffield, CT, and played every one of the 2nds they had on display, and quite a few new ukes that they had recently finished assembling.

I wasn't in the market for another tenor at that time, but I kept going back to the Fluke tenor again and again. And bought it. Not the bottom of the line, either - rosewood fingerboard, PegHed tuners, b-band pickup (that I have plugged in once, just to see if it worked). It is my primary travel uke, and I love the tone and playability.

I haven't found another Fluke or a Flea that I like as much - but I also think the PegHeds have a lot to do with what I like about this instrument. Tuning is a breeze - I don't get along so well with friction tuners.

-Kurt​

Ok, I wrote my post above while waiting for a marketing meeting to start so I didn't get to finish.

Along with my tenor Fluke, I have a soprano FireFly and, my 50th birthday present from my family, a Tie Dye concert Flea with rosewood fretboard and Lucy's multi-colored tuners.

They are all incredibly easy to play, very durable and sound great. You really can't go wrong.

You can get a brand new, top-o-the-line, concert Koa Flea with rosewood fb and a gig bag for right around $400.

Scooter

Aloha Daryl,
Yes I too have a tenor fluke...kinda thick neck but playable, I think no problem if you played guitar before...has excellent tone and intonation and volume...
it is a good beater uke to take everywhere but maybe not your primary uke.... hope it helps....check the marketplace and ebay... I got mine for 160 shipped...

My soprano Flea has a scale length of 14", midway between some soprano ukes and most concert ukes. I'm comfortable with the scale, but if I were to get another one, I'd probably go for the concert.

you folks have sold me!
just talked with beth at fleamarket and in stock they have a lava (black)concert with rosewood fretboard, sidedots markers at 3 & 5, and peghedz tuners installed. she sent some pics and it looks killer(I love an all black instrument). the maple neck stands out against all the black.

I think I must order this!

thanks for the feedback
d

I love my bog-standard black ('lava') Fluke concert. It is my primary player. I've had it a year, and its certainly seen some action. You get so much tone out of plastic and laminate, it kinda spoils the solid wood ukes up to double the price of the Fluke. Now, if only some dealer in the UK had the concert Firefly...

That is awesome, is it a 2nd by any chance? even if not, it sounds like a killer config. trust me while it may hurt at the initial price, it is SO worth getting rosewood and peghed tuners. I think this is one of hte reasons why my fluke and fleas are my two favorites from a collection of 20+.

Please be sure to post pictures and your impression when you get it!

you folks have sold me!
just talked with beth at fleamarket and in stock they have a lava (black)concert with rosewood fretboard, sidedots markers at 3 & 5, and peghedz tuners installed. she sent some pics and it looks killer(I love an all black instrument). the maple neck stands out against all the black.

I think I must order this!

thanks for the feedback
d

That is awesome, is it a 2nd by any chance? even if not, it sounds like a killer config. trust me while it may hurt at the initial price, it is SO worth getting rosewood and peghed tuners. I think this is one of hte reasons why my fluke and fleas are my two favorites from a collection of 20+.

Please be sure to post pictures and your impression when you get it!

not a second-it was actually the only concert size fluke with the rosewood fretboard in stock. when she told me it had the peghedz tuners and the side dot markers-AND it was black, that did it. she sent 5 sharp clear pics and it looks
very cool and organic with the black, then the rosewood brown and the maple neck pops on it. the peghedz sets it off-i've used them before and really like them.

pics for sure when it arrives
d

your reply pretty much nailed the coffin lid on........................really!
by looking at the design, i thought along the lines with most of the things you mentioned-great to hear them in use in the real world.
by chance, have you played the concert size fluke?
i'm a diehard tenor lover, but i'm thinking a concert would be a neat travel, small pal

thank you

Sounds like you have made a decision! Pictures required when it comes in!! In answer to your previous post...(just to further help you feel great about your purchase!!)

I have not played a concert fluke. Sadly no one carries them in my neck of the woods! (Trying to change that!) I went round and round about what to get after the simplicity and freedom from care of the flea won my heart. I passed on the soprano because the difference seemed so negligible between that and the concert, and I wanted a fluke, and the extra fretboard space is nice. I just decided to bust out with the tenor since the flea was concert scale. My flea and fluke have peghed tuners. This is another topic that is totally personal, and I had never had them before, but I talked to Beth at FMM and we pro and conned the friction vs the peghed and I was sold on pegheds. I absolutely love them, and feel they are worth every penny for the upgrade. Again, personal pref. I have heard the frictions are perfectly serviceable.

As far as a travel companion goes, well, my point of view is a bit different than some. I am a guitar player, so EVERY uke is a travel size to me. I just want a certain sound from my instruments. The tenor provides that, so I travel with it. Also, I am an aggressive strummer with a heavy hand (lots of muting etc carried over from guitar) and I have never been able to overdrive my tenor fluke. Another plus. But! I am a fingerstyle player as well (about 50% of the time), so the fretboard is just great spacing wise for that as well. I switch easily between soprano, concert, and tenor--but tenor has really, really grown on my as my playing skills have grown. I just like the versatility of it. I have the case for the fluke (cause I like to put stickers on stuff), but I have also carried it with me loose in a tote bag with my books as well. Fits in a backpack too, with the neck sticking out the top. I am in the military, and uke is a gift to those in my line of work. Guitars are often too big to deploy with, but the uke is twice the fun at a fraction the size. I also am an avid runner, and I race a lot--which requires me to drive all over to cool races. I am never, EVER in hotel room without a uke. It simply can't happen. The ukes do not get to race though, so sad for them ;). I am not THAT skilled!

Living in Florida--the flea, fluke, and my Blackbird (YAY!!!) can go inside to outside to back inside without a care. I just love not having to worry about it. I never leave the little guys in a hot car, but other than that, they go everywhere!!

And you are right, ukes are great pals. What a wonderful coping mechanism, boredom buster, creative outlet, companion etc etc they are!

So again, I talk a lot. But, it is a forum. Talking is what we do. I hope this helps. It is hard to say what will be right for you, it takes some trying on for size, but it looks like you have made an awesome choice!!! Black is my favorite color (non-color)!!

Cheers!

Last edited:
are the backs of these slick? hard to hold/keep positioned?

i saw one youtube poster mention buying the grip strips-anyone use these?

strings: what type of strings do you owners like on your Fluke?

thank you
d

Top Bottom