PDA

View Full Version : Installing Wound Strings - anything special?

Kayak Jim
07-18-2013, 02:04 PM
So I got my first wound string to see how I like low G on the tenor I just picked up from ukegirl in the Marketplace. I'm afraid of it unwinding or kinking or something when I install it. Do I tie it to the bridge as I would any unwound string? Do I need to seal or glue the end if I cut off the excess at the tuner end?

I have in hand the Aquila and I have a Fremont Soloist on the way as well as an unwound Red.

Thanks

Hammond
07-18-2013, 03:12 PM
This link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwNDkh43oqc) is what you need :) in the video it mentioned about the different way of knot of wound string.
Congrats to your new uke ;)

anthonyg
07-18-2013, 10:51 PM
I've never had any particular issues with wound strings. Try to cut them cleanly but I've never treated them in any way.

Anthony

PhilUSAFRet
07-19-2013, 04:41 AM
cutting and winding 1 or 2 brands of wound strings could be problematic. Seek feedback on the specific brand you are using.

Kayak Jim
07-19-2013, 06:25 AM
cutting and winding 1 or 2 brands of wound strings could be problematic. Seek feedback on the specific brand you are using.

OK, so the brands I have, as indicated, are Aquila and Fremont Soloist wound. I don't know if the Fremont is "flat wound" or "polished" to make it "squeakless" if that makes any difference. Do either of these present problems?

In the HMS video, Aaron just says when tying a wound string to only give it a single loop in the knot at the bridge vs. double (as Hammond pointed out).