just ordered: Pono Gloss Acacia Tenor Cutaway w/Cedar Top

Interesting. I would have pegged you for more of a Smeck Vita Uke type, Bob.

vita2.jpg

Seriously, nothing, nothing beats a cedar top. That is a great ukulele--I had a Pono tenor (I love cutaways, too, good choice) rosewood back and sides and cedar top: it sounded incredible. I sold it and I wish I had not.

Beware, that cedar scratches if you look at it wrong. Don;t run that soundboard over a belt buckle or the side of the case for anything. Treat it like a taxidermist does his glass eyes.

Cheers, Bob. Steve

Last edited:
Interesting. I would have pegged you for more of a Smeck Vita Uke type, Bob.

View attachment 56088

Seriously, nothing, nothing beats a cedar top. That is a great ukulele--I had a Pono tenor (I love cutaways, too, good choice) rosewood back and sides and cedar top: it sounded incredible. I sold it and I wish I had not.

Beware, that cedar scratches if you look at it wrong. Don;t run that soundboard over a belt buckle or the side of the case for anything. Treat it like a taxidermist does his glass eyes.

Cheers, Bob. Steve

I remember you had a cedar top Pono that you loved. When I posted this thread, I thought to myself "I bet at least Steve will tell me I made a good decision"... I'll guard that cedar with my life. I think the care instructions in the Spinal Tap video is the way to go. In fact, the cedar should stay pristine if I never unbox it from the package... I'll just have a large fedex box sitting on a ukulele stand.

This was not a good decision. It was an EXCELLENT decision! We're talking pure Pono magic here!!! :shaka:

I spent years on the internet (regularly, but not continuously) here in Australia preparing to move up from my (still lovely) Mahalo soprano into my very own piece of Hawaii made tenor magic. Oh the agony, oh the joy of the journey researching my desires - piggy backing my aspirations onto those of the global uke community (especially you lucky bastards who were born in uke-central: USA!!) ....Meanwhile, back down-under, I had decided to buy the SAME UKE as you did from HMS, but got lucky on a second hand Ko'olau for a little bit more. So my own meticulous reseach had narrowed it down to your uke. I'm sure that it will inspire your music. Go forth and play, play, play.....

Hey Bob did I speak to you today...I was helping MGM with the phones...was that you...haha

That thing about soft cedar tops is no joke. See here. First day I had it I broke a string and put a decent gash in it. It already has another major ding too. I have had 6 ukes and the other 5 are flawless. Not to worry though. I love the sound of my Cedar top Pono Tenor. I ordered it without playing it too so I was nervous. But its amazing. Switching the strings out to Worths (low g) helped a lot (just be careful not to break one). You chose very well. Enjoy.

Well I don't have mine yet, but I've narrowed the search for my next uke to the rosewood body version of this very model. So I hope you like it!

I spent years on the internet (regularly, but not continuously) here in Australia preparing to move up from my (still lovely) Mahalo soprano into my very own piece of Hawaii made tenor magic. Oh the agony, oh the joy of the journey researching my desires - piggy backing my aspirations onto those of the global uke community (especially you lucky bastards who were born in uke-central: USA!!) ....Meanwhile, back down-under, I had decided to buy the SAME UKE as you did from HMS, but got lucky on a second hand Ko'olau for a little bit more. So my own meticulous reseach had narrowed it down to your uke. I'm sure that it will inspire your music. Go forth and play, play, play.....

Good to know my research led me to the same uke. Sounds like you scored with your Ko'olau though! Well done!

Hey Bob did I speak to you today...I was helping MGM with the phones...was that you...haha

Yes you did! Thanks for the help!

That thing about soft cedar tops is no joke. See here. First day I had it I broke a string and put a decent gash in it. It already has another major ding too. I have had 6 ukes and the other 5 are flawless. Not to worry though. I love the sound of my Cedar top Pono Tenor. I ordered it without playing it too so I was nervous. But its amazing. Switching the strings out to Worths (low g) helped a lot (just be careful not to break one). You chose very well. Enjoy.

That's a bummer about that string damage. I figure it's worth it though to have a few dings in an awesome sounding instrument. Thanks for the reassurance!

Well I don't have mine yet, but I've narrowed the search for my next uke to the rosewood body version of this very model. So I hope you like it!

Those rosewood models are beautiful. Great choice!

I have a cedar topped Pono tenor with a cutaway (ebony body). I agree that it gets dinged up if you look at it wrong, but it sounds fantastic. Tone and projection for days...can be sweet or you can attack it. I keep almost parting iwth it, but then I play it again and can't bear to let it go.
You picked a winner.

Haha...

I thought that was you...after seeing the thread and seeing you were from SoCal...
Mike was saying he likes Cedar tops...I do too...

how long before Andrew gets it to you? have fun playing it...

I have a cedar topped Pono tenor with a cutaway (ebony body). I agree that it gets dinged up if you look at it wrong, but it sounds fantastic. Tone and projection for days...can be sweet or you can attack it. I keep almost parting iwth it, but then I play it again and can't bear to let it go.
You picked a winner.

Yeah, I'm expecting it to be a keeper. I keep hearing great things about cedar tops, but have never played one... Will post a vid/sound clip when I get it.

Haha...

I thought that was you...after seeing the thread and seeing you were from SoCal...
Mike was saying he likes Cedar tops...I do too...

how long before Andrew gets it to you? have fun playing it...

I was really leaning toward the cedar top before I called. I just wanted to get a second opinion - and I trust MGM's judgement. He describes the tone as more woody, which I like... I think Mike said about 5 days for setup and a couple days for delivery. Hoping to have it by Friday or Saturday next week.

Right on Bob....
yes MGM great on the phone...even though he super busy he will spend time on the phone with customers and give as much info he can...
after all the years in the uke business...he is still uke crazy like all of us...Haha

Oh, yes, cedar Pono tenor is the best. You will love it, but coolkayaker1 is right - look at it in the wrong way and you will...well, never mind.... I have a cedar/rosewood Pono tenor, which is super. I love it.

That uke is one of the top two on my next to buy list (the other is either a Godin or Pono solidbody). Looking forward to the promised video clip.

Right on Bob....
yes MGM great on the phone...even though he super busy he will spend time on the phone with customers and give as much info he can...
after all the years in the uke business...he is still uke crazy like all of us...Haha

I could tell he was busy, but he was good with answers!

Congrats! Demoed a few Ponos when I was at HMS last year (wow, SOOOO long ago!) and I like 'em! You won't be disappointed.

I'm buying without demoing but I trust all you guys who have taken the Ponos for spin

Oh, yes, cedar Pono tenor is the best. You will love it, but coolkayaker1 is right - look at it in the wrong way and you will...well, never mind.... I have a cedar/rosewood Pono tenor, which is super. I love it.

Gotta start practicing how I look at the ukulele before it shows up...

That uke is one of the top two on my next to buy list (the other is either a Godin or Pono solidbody). Looking forward to the promised video clip.

Yeah, I've never heard of anyone disappointed with a Pono. It's a pretty safe bet I think.

Top Bottom