PDA

View Full Version : UAS - out of control? Or should I soldier on?

Thinker
07-18-2013, 02:51 PM
OK - so I bought a Kamaka Pineapple for my son. He loves it! Then I got a Kamaka Pineapple Longneck for me. I've ordered a May-Moe Concert Resonator. (I have a year to wait).

So here's what I've got.....

1 Kala Ukeadelic
1 KoAloha Tenor
1 KoAloha Longneck soprano (perhaps my favorite).
1 Kamaka Longneck Pineapple (my second fav).
1 Kamaka Pineapple (my sons)
1 May-Moe Resonator Concert (on order...).

So...First - SHOULD I STOP?

OR....Second - What would you buy next? Some thoughts - A Banjole? A Pineapple Sunday?

Thinker

mm stan
07-18-2013, 03:00 PM
I think you need to talk to Kat.....she may have some experience here... :)

coolkayaker1
07-18-2013, 03:02 PM
You need a Smeck Vita Uke, Think.

Your uke list is almost painful to look at because it lacks a Vita Uke.

Thinker
07-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Stan!! I think I need therapy - it's getting out of hand.

Lori
07-18-2013, 03:16 PM
I don't see any problem here. Looks like a good collection to me. Why stop if you have the funds and the interest? Nothing more fun than uke shopping, unless it is uke playing!

–Lori

Pueo
07-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Nah, you have plenty of room to grow! I have never sold an ukulele I have purchased, although I did give one away...

Thinker
07-18-2013, 03:22 PM
I don't see any problem here. Looks like a good collection to me. Why stop if you have the funds and the interest? Nothing more fun than uke shopping, unless it is uke playing!

–Lori

So what to layer on next??

missameeames
07-18-2013, 04:09 PM
A 6-string or 8-string maybe?

ksiegel
07-18-2013, 04:17 PM

–Lori

I have to agree with Lori - I don't see a problem.

-Kurt

darylcrisp
07-18-2013, 04:25 PM
step one you've acknowledged and admitted.
step two is letting go......................send me the Koaloha long neck soprano and you will feel an immediate release of the pressure you are currently experiencing. it may start your recovery.............;)
d

connor013
07-18-2013, 04:27 PM
What, no baritones?

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?83402-FS-Vintage-Martin-Baritone

Tigeralum2001
07-18-2013, 04:29 PM
I have decided that UAS is incurable. It might be controlled, but never cured... I have no need for any other uke. I am blessed with ukes. I have started selling off my ukes because I thought I had cured UAS. Then I discovered, after months of feeling UAS-free, that I want a new uke. Then 3, now I have a list of 5 that I want.

The way I see it, you don't have a problem as long as it is not causing financial problems. :)

sonomajazz
07-18-2013, 04:39 PM
You're asking a bunch of ukaholics when to stop?

Do you crave a ukulele in the morning? Do you think about ukuleles while you're having...oh, nevermind...

I just bought this...

http://www.amazon.com/Lanikai-LBU-C-Concert-Banjolele/dp/B003AYF2JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374201324&sr=8-1&keywords=lanikai+banjolele

Doc_J
07-18-2013, 05:28 PM
OK - so I bought a Kamaka Pineapple for my son. He loves it! Then I got a Kamaka Pineapple Longneck for me. I've ordered a May-Moe Concert Resonator. (I have a year to wait).

So here's what I've got.....

1 Kala Ukeadelic
1 KoAloha Tenor
1 KoAloha Longneck soprano (perhaps my favorite).
1 Kamaka Longneck Pineapple (my second fav).
1 Kamaka Pineapple (my sons)
1 May-Moe Resonator Concert (on order...).

OR....Second - What would you buy next? Some thoughts - A Banjole? A Pineapple Sunday?

Thinker

What no Kanile'a ukes?

Nikita
07-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Should I stop??? Waahh? I don't understand the question :smileybounce:

rubyrain
07-18-2013, 05:45 PM
I've only had my first uke a week and I'm already plotting for my next one!
But seriously, if you can afford it and it brings you joy,why not get another? It's a hobby just like any other and hobbyists tend to want to have more of their passion around them so I say go for it.

UkeKiddinMe
07-18-2013, 06:00 PM
What, no baritones?

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?83402-FS-Vintage-Martin-Baritone

For the win.

Lori
07-18-2013, 07:47 PM
So what to layer on next??

Well, there are so many ukes out there, it is hard to say. I love my Kanile'a (Super Concert), so if you can try out a couple of them, that could be a good way to go. If you are unsure about a baritone, check out the Mainland Baritone for fun. Then, there are the Flukes and Fleas... great for taking into unknown territories, picnics, camping, beaches, homes with children... I know you have the Ukadelics for that, but the Flea/ Fluke is a better sounding instrument... so you can hand over the Ukadelics to the wild ones or newbies around a camp fire, and play the Flea/Fluke yourself.

–Lori

kvehe
07-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Baritone. No question. Then either a Pineapple Sunday or a Sceptre. Or both.

pdxuke
07-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Time to dabble in a Martin. Tenor. (Heh heh...)

cletus
07-18-2013, 08:34 PM
http://www.acousticvibesmusic.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=170_180&products_id=1273&zenid=23a8450db6769cac13bb3c669448a41b

:drool:

mds725
07-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Thinker

I have more ukuleles that you (although not as many as Stan :) ) and what I found was that I wanted to get ukuleles that sounded different than the ones I already had or otherwise served a different purpose. I got a Mya-Moe tenor and a Mya-Moe baritone because they would sound different from my Kamaka tenor and baritone, and then I got an 8-string tenor because it sounds different from the tenors I had, and then I found an 8-string baritone, and then I bought a tenor flea because I could take it to places I wouldn't take a Kamaka or a Mya-Moe, and so on. I'm now getting an Anakoneke custom tenor (http://anakoneke.com/) for which I will be designing the headstock inlay myself, which will make it different from the ukes I already have. I admit that along the way I bought some ukes I don't end up playing that much, so those ukes I sell. I tell people that my ukuleles are similar to shoes, in that different circumstances require different ones. I could go jogging in my work shoes, but instead I buy a shoe that works better for running. So I use my Kamakas for Hawaiian music, and my Mya-Moes and a Compass Rose for popular music. If you can afford another one and think you're going to play it once you have it, then buy what you want. You can always sell an ukulele you find yourself not playing.

PhilUSAFRet
07-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Maybe a Kanilea or Ko'olau would round things out a bit?

Kyle23
07-19-2013, 01:22 AM
Keep in flowin buddy! You can never have too many ukes.

aqualung23
07-19-2013, 01:31 AM
I'd be pretty happy if I just had one K brand uke. But then again I'm a social worker.

Mandarb
07-19-2013, 02:52 AM
Stan!! I think I need therapy - it's getting out of hand.

You have a long way to go to catch up to the number of ukes that Stan has.

Thinker
07-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Baritone. No question. Then either a Pineapple Sunday or a Sceptre. Or both.

I've got 11 months to wait for my Mya-Moe. So I'm plotting. Anyone have any experience with getting custom work from KoAloha? What if I get a "dream" pineapple sunday? Upgrade the wood. Put in a pickup. String it low G?

wickedwahine11
07-20-2013, 11:09 AM
I've got 11 months to wait for my Mya-Moe. So I'm plotting. Anyone have any experience with getting custom work from KoAloha? What if I get a "dream" pineapple sunday? Upgrade the wood. Put in a pickup. String it low G?

Not to hijack but to answer this question: It is not a custom, but I do have a special order on order now with KoAloha with upgraded wood a pickup and a different bridge. They are wonderful to deal with and have a great sense of ohana. The only thing making me nervous is that the original estimate to be completed was a few weeks ago and I am moving in two weeks so now I am really nervous it won't be completed before my move. Not really an issue unless it gets shipped to the wrong address. I figure I will call this week to make sure they have the right one on file. But yep, overall I can't say enough good about KoAloha ukes or service.

As to the OP original question, I don't think it is a problem as long as you can afford them. I now am operating on a one uke in, one uke out policy - for financial reasons mainly but also because I promised my spouse I would.

And I vote you should try a Kanilea next - they are beautiful and have a nice warm tone.

Tootler
07-20-2013, 11:30 AM
I thought my UAS was pretty much cured but then I feel that there a couple of songs where a banjo uke would work well so I might go shopping at the Grand Northern Uke Festival (http://www.northernuke.com/)(UK) in October.

Thinker
07-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Not to hijack but to answer this question: It is not a custom, but I do have a semi-custom on order now with KoAloha with upgraded wood a pickup and a different bridge. They are wonderful to deal with and have a great sense of ohana. The only thing making me nervous is that the original estimate to be completed was a few weeks ago and I am moving in two weeks so now I am really nervous it won't be completed before my move. Not really an issue unless it gets shipped to the wrong address. I figure I will call this week to make sure they have the right one on file. But yep, overall I can't say enough good about KoAloha ukes or service.

As to the OP original question, I don't think it is a problem as long as you can afford them. I now am operating on a one uke in, one uke out policy - for financial reasons mainly but also because I promised my spouse I would.

And I vote you should try a Kanilea next - they are beautiful and have a nice warm tone.

HI - ONe question; One comment - what was your whole timeframe with KoAloha? I'm interested in just that kind of thing. I LOVE the Kanileas! They are great. There was a Honu inlay tenor or a concert on HMS a few weeks ago. It was a stunner!

wickedwahine11
07-20-2013, 12:07 PM
HI - ONe question; One comment - what was your whole timeframe with KoAloha? I'm interested in just that kind of thing. I LOVE the Kanileas! They are great. There was a Honu inlay tenor or a concert on HMS a few weeks ago. It was a stunner!

Actually that is why I have no room to complain, it was going to be slotted in during regular production so a month since it is not custom, only a changed bridge, upgraded wood and pickup install. It is only two weeks overdue but I know how busy they are, and honestly, if I was not moving in two weeks I would not sweat it. That is why I will call this week to make sure they get the new address. I always wanted one of their customs but since this is not a custom, just some tweaks, I don't know the wait time on that.

Sorry OP for the hijack...

lakesideglenn
07-20-2013, 01:20 PM
I would suggest buying something that doesn't start with a "K"

Cheers!

Thinker
07-20-2013, 04:15 PM
I would suggest buying something that doesn't start with a "K"

Cheers!

LOL! That's what the Mya-Moe is for! I'm excited for the resonator. I love their work!

zac987
07-21-2013, 08:24 AM
It's a problem if it negatively impacts other areas in your life. If you're buying an ukulele with money needed for food or bills or otherwise, it's a problem. If you're well-off and you're enjoying yourself, by all means get what you want.