Best iOS Tuner Apps?

OldePhart

Reaction score
Okay...anybody have any recommendations for good tuner apps for the iPhone? I've been using Da Tuner Pro on my android and love it but I finally had to break down and get new phones (my almost 4-year-old HTC Hero was actually still working very well but my wife's Samsung Instinct HD? of the same vintage was on its last legs). I decided if I was going to be stuck with a contract again I'd better replace both phones otherwise that Irish chap would stick his ugly head up and my old Hero would have bought the farm next week.

BTW, if anyone owns stock in Sprint you might want to dump it now. Historically, every time I have renewed a contract with a cellular provider they have reduced their network coverage by 50%, lost most of their market share, and been gobbled up in a hostile takeover within 60 days...

John

I can't recommend GuitarToolkit enough!
It's a bit more expensive, but worth it!
The tuner has always done a spot-on job for me and is always my go-to tuner when possible!
The app also includes metronome, all chords and all scales
Also - you can plot in where on the fretboard you are holding and it will tell you what chord it is.

And finally: you can change the instrument inside the app and choose between ukulele, mandolin, banjo, bass (up to 6 Strings) and obviously guitar (6,7 and 12 Strings)
Best app I ever bought!

I've only used iStrobosoft, and I've been happy with it. I have GuitarToolkit, and probably a few other tuner apps, but I've never tried them. I guess I was just so content with iStrobosoft that I never felt the need to try any others? :confused:

I got insTuner free and it does a fine job. It has differnt display settings and one of them is super-easy to see

Sadly, the free Anuenue tuner is not very responsive

You could try CarlTune - I wouldn't say that it's the best (it has ads and it's a little bit hard to dial in), but it is free and it does allow you to tune more precisely than my Kala clip on tuner. I try to zero out the "cents" and that seems to work pretty well.

I got insTuner free and it does a fine job. It has differnt display settings and one of them is super-easy to see

Sadly, the free Anuenue tuner is not very responsive

I use insTuner too, it's free and works like a charm.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a few questions: are phone tuners precise as clip on tuners are? what advantages do clip-on tuners have?

Ukelele Toolkit is pretty good. Latest update supports bari tuning as well as gCEA, there's a metronome and a couple of other features, incl chord shapes by note or key signature. the tuner agrees with my snark and no-name tuners, but reads in 0.1 cents so maybe more precise (assuming it is accurate)

Last edited:
I use insTuner too, it's free and works like a charm.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a few questions: are phone tuners precise as clip on tuners are? what advantages do clip-on tuners have?
I have found my iPhone to be a lot more precise then my clip-on!
But whenever I'm somewhere with a lot of background noise or with other musicians, my phones tuning become nearly unusuable.
Thats when the clip-on takes over :)

Last edited:
I agree that the insTuner is the best for iphone that i have ran into and is free. Nice UI on it. The anuenue works ok too.

But whenever I'm somewhere with a lot of background mouse or with other musicians, my phone timers become nearly unusuable.

That makes sense, thanks! :)

I can't recommend GuitarToolkit enough!
It's a bit more expensive, but worth it!
The tuner has always done a spot-on job for me and is always my go-to tuner when possible!
The app also includes metronome, all chords and all scales
Also - you can plot in where on the fretboard you are holding and it will tell you what chord it is.

And finally: you can change the instrument inside the app and choose between ukulele, mandolin, banjo, bass (up to 6 Strings) and obviously guitar (6,7 and 12 Strings)
Best app I ever bought!

I resoundingly second the vote for Guitar Toolkit!

But whenever I'm somewhere with a lot of background noise or with other musicians, my phones tuning become nearly unusuable.

That's why I bought an adaptor so I can plug my 1/4" jack into the iPhone and still use my iPhone tuner, when I want to.

I know this is asked for a IOS, but I'm using one for my Blackberry Playbook. It's called simply (Instrument Tuner) and by god it's fairly good close to the G,C,E,A. When I grab my Solutions ST-23 Clip on tuner it's pretty daw gone accurate. I even tuned my 12 string Yamaha guitar with it too. ;)

Another vote for InsTuner. The free version is good. For a couple bucks, the upgraded version is siginificantly better.

Thanks for the recommendations, folks. I've tried one and I'm about to try InsTuner. One thing I've noticed is that the one I've tried doesn't seem to work that well for harmonics and 12th-fret checks on the iPhone but does on the iPad. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the microphone in the iPhone rolls off really steeply above 1Khz, that might be why.

I really only use my phone as a backup in case I'm caught out without my tuner, anyway, but I sure hope I can find something that works as nicely as Da Tuner Pro did on my android phone. That was such a good tuner, with such a precise simulated strobe UI, that I sometimes used it when I was setting up an instrument or checking the intonation of a new brand of strings.

John

What is there in the paid version that you need?

Need?
Well, I could tune by ear with a pitchfork. Or to the nearest piano.
Or I could stay with the free version.
But, for a couple bucks, I like the fine-tuning and strobe-tuning features in the paid version. The "lite" version only has one interface that tells the user when they have "Got it!" in tune. Sometimes that isn't what I want. And the paid version supports landscape view, which is bigger and easier on my eyes.

Top Bottom