Soprano only chords?

Helms

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am currently strumming my way through Colin Tribes great arrangement of Proud Mary by Creedence Clearwater Revival.
(a link to the video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo0UnCLnIgs)

Around the 2:10 mark he gets to the 4th verse of the song where I am supposed to bar all strings on 5th fret while also holding down the 12th fret a-string (5-5-5-12). The entire verse is played in 5th fret with the pinky doing its magic on the a-string.

I can do it - but after just a few strums the pain sets in. It really hurts after a little while and I can't continue without loosen my grip a little which removes all the sound from the strumming and I end up with a lot of 'chucking' (I think thats the word Aldrine uses?)

I only own tenors and have previously had similar issues with some chords, but forced myself to do it and eventually learned the chords, without too much trouble.
But are there simply some chords/songs that is better/easier played on a soprano due to its smaller fretboard?

... if so - I guess I have a reason to buy another ukulele then! :)

There are definitely chords which are only playable on smaller fretboards. Just part of the trade-off with playing larger sizes.

One of John King's books uses 2-2-2-9, which is tricky. Actually, I've written some things which have tricky stretches. I play on a concert neck, and there are some things I've written I just can't play on a tenor.

Not helpful I guess, but the good news is, you're not crazy. ;)

Ye, that was what I was afraid of.
Guess I'll have to go buy myself a smaller uke! :)

Everyone needs at least one soprano. If for nothing else, just to beyotch about not being able to cram your fingers in there. And to make those impossible stretches!

Everyone needs at least one soprano. If for nothing else, just to beyotch about not being able to cram your fingers in there. And to make those impossible stretches!
Haha, so true!

I do have a soprano Flea, but don't play it often because I much prefer the tenor scale.

Granted, there are stretches that can be more difficult on a tenor than on a concert/soprano.

Sometimes I figure out an alternative that is easier for me to play and transition to/from. No one says you have to play anything just like it's written. :)

Haha, so true!

I do have a soprano Flea, but don't play it often because I much prefer the tenor scale.

Granted, there are stretches that can be more difficult on a tenor than on a concert/soprano.

Sometimes I figure out an alternative that is easier for me to play and transition to/from. No one says you have to play anything just like it's written. :)

Wanna sell your Flea? I've been wanting to try one again now that I think I can deal with the wider fretboard but recently I just "had to have" another Kala KA-SLNG which I just received and am very happy with.

UAS has me in its grip!!!

Wanna sell your Flea? I've been wanting to try one again now that I think I can deal with the wider fretboard but recently I just "had to have" another Kala KA-SLNG which I just received and am very happy with.

UAS has me in its grip!!!
I have some other odd musical instrument affliction where I cannot stand to part with any of them. I have things in the closet I haven't touched in years, but who knows when I might want to take up the tenor sax again? :eek:

I feel I absolutely do need to have at least one soprano and the Flea fits the bill. It was also a birthday present from my late husband and has sentimental value. :)

I have some other odd musical instrument affliction where I cannot stand to part with any of them. I have things in the closet I haven't touched in years, but who knows when I might want to take up the tenor sax again? :eek:

I feel I absolutely do need to have at least one soprano and the Flea fits the bill. It was also a birthday present from my late husband and has sentimental value. :)

Understand completely! And I tried the tenor sax as well! Then I became a drummer!!!

Wow! That's a lot of exclamation points.

Consider looking at a soprano designed by Bob Gleason of Pegasus Guitars and Ukuleles, called a LEHUA www.lehuaukulele.com They are solid Acacia blackwood with real wood binding. I have a soprano I want to sell...my preference is the Long Neck Soprano (LNS). I will sell it to you at my cost ( I am the Oregon listed dealer)

Do you play with your ukulele strapped? That allows both hands to make music without having to try to maintain position away from the ground. You may have your choice of 19 differnt colours if you decide to get this ukulele. Pictures of it are available for the asking.

Thanks guys! :)
Yes - I ought to have myself a soprano!
And eventually a concert :)

Thanks for the link Craft'Cow, however I live in Denmark and orders and purchases overseas are ridicoulesly taxed once they land here in Denmark, so for the soprano at least I'm gonna stick with whatever I happen to find over here that does the job for me.

Top Bottom