Begun, my journey up the fretboard has

pootsie

Reaction score
And like Yoda am I talking.

I'm about 18 months into playing the uke with no previous musical training to speak of (the stuff in grade school did not stick). A couple months ago I decided to dip my toe in the strange waters above the third fret. I found out it's not so bad there.

Of course, having an app (or other reference) with the chord shapes has been necessary to me for this. I have no musical knowledge and so far my uking has been more dedicated to trying to figure out how to play a song rather than theory in the abstract.

But--no surprise--there is a lot more flexibility in phrasing and such. It sounds different, feels different, plays differently.

Now, I know that the joke is that a real ukulele player only needs three frets and anything else is just showboating, but I kinda like it.

I think I'm going to keep exploring up there.

I'm at the same place pootsie, and likewise finding it very interesting! Chord shapes, scale patterns, etc., etc.

Have fun!

Jim B

You'll find that your experience with the ukulele changes in magnitude. And closed chords wil expand the tone and playability of the instrument. I found that a few things help to move you up the neck.

1. Remember that chords shapes are moveable up the neck. I always found that it was helpful to reference a basic chord shape while playing then apply the shape up the neck. I.e, reference the First position B chord when I want to play a closed C, D, E, etc.

2. Force yourself to learn a closed Am7 early. It will keep you from averting back to a fully open and "ringing" chord when you are played closed and damped chords. The same goes for C6.

3. Remember that Diminished chords repeat every three frets and are likewise enharmonic. If you memorize C#dim7 then you also have A#dim7 as well, etc. it's a wondrous chord.

Good luck with your journey up the fretboard and have a great trip!

Mike

You'll find that your experience with the ukulele changes in magnitude. And closed chords wil expand the tone and playability of the instrument. I found that a few things help to move you up the neck.

1. Remember that chords shapes are moveable up the neck. I always found that it was helpful to reference a basic chord shape while playing then apply the shape up the neck. I.e, reference the First position B chord when I want to play a closed C, D, E, etc.

2. Force yourself to learn a closed Am7 early. It will keep you from averting back to a fully open and "ringing" chord when you are played closed and damped chords. The same goes for C6.

3. Remember that Diminished chords repeat every three frets and are likewise enharmonic. If you memorize C#dim7 then you also have A#dim7 as well, etc. it's a wondrous chord.

Good luck with your journey up the fretboard and have a great trip!

Mike

which closed
am7 do you find most useful?

I've been intrigued by this ever since attending Jake's concert here last year...however, I am music theory naive (am studying it) and get more and more confused, the further I go along....geez....I can sing on key only if I play the chords....

Am7 played 2433? When I look up Am7 it shows a totally open, unfingered chord which means I can move it anywhere with just a full bar on any fret.....I think. What's wrong with my thinking on this?

Am7 played 2433? When I look up Am7 it shows a totally open, unfingered chord which means I can move it anywhere with just a full bar on any fret.....I think. What's wrong with my thinking on this?

Yes, you can move the totally open, unfingered chord SHAPE anywhere with just a full barre on any fret, but then it will no longer be an Am7....

2433. It's a really useful chord shape, moveable and can easily move to and from a D, D7, etc..
Thanks - great! I am also creeping up the neck, trying to memorize the closed chords... this is a great video for starting jazz progressions up there...

There is no try, there is only do.

Top Bottom