Sop uke for classical music?

hallelujahal

Reaction score
Hi guys - I'm playing some classical and baroque tunes on my Ohana CK35G which I'm really happy with - but I'm contemplating getting a Soprano uke soon and am looking for something with perhaps an alternative sound to the SM. Any ideas on what I should look at? I guess my budget is about the £200 mark ($300).
Alex

Alex,

Can't help with a specific uke, but if you want clear note separation I can at least recommend Southcoast strings; they're the cleanest sounding strings I've found, regardless of the uke.

Actually, I can recommend a uke, even if it's a bit out of your price range: Loprinzi. They're lightly built, have great intonation, and they ring forever. (I actually sold my tenor because, to me, it was a bit too much suited for finger style playing.)

Cheers.

You might consider a maple, spruce, or cedar top instrument. Those tone woods tend to be a bit brighter. Strings can make a difference too, so check that out.

–Lori

You might consider a maple, spruce, or cedar top instrument. Those tone woods tend to be a bit brighter. Strings can make a difference too, so check that out.

–Lori

I agree with that.

I can't be much help with suggesting uke brands, since I haven't tried that many. That said, I know there are soft-wood topped ukes around your price range from brands like Sailor, Kamoa, Mainland, Kala, Ohana, etc. ...I just can't tell you how nice they are. (I think Pono needs to make some cedar- or spruce-topped sopranos. They give the tenor size all the love.)

I dunno, if anything I would go bigger towards tenor and maybe string it low G.

I play classical guitar and uke, and as much as I love sopranos I find it much better to do any sort of classical or even fingerpicking best on tenors.

in fact all my tenors are strung with low G, and all my concerts and sopranos with high g.

and for that budget, I would look for a used Cedar top tenor (maybe a Kala?) or for all around good sound and excellent tunning, a Tenor Fluke with rosewood frets?

good luck!

Hi guys - I'm playing some classical and baroque tunes on my Ohana CK35G which I'm really happy with - but I'm contemplating getting a Soprano uke soon and am looking for something with perhaps an alternative sound to the SM. Any ideas on what I should look at? I guess my budget is about the £200 mark ($300).
Alex

Since you mention pounds, you're in the UK, no?

Brüko makes some great "Made in W. Germany" ukes for not much money. (I put quotes because the W. in W. Germany is on their stamp. However, the ukes are actually made in southern Germany) Plus Herr Pfeiffer takes semi-custom orders for about 250€ give or take some change.

I see on the shop they have two flat maple ukes, one in all black, and one natural: http://www.brueko.de/shop/index.php?cat=c5_Soprano-Flat.html

I love sopranos. They are actually my favorite scale length, followed closely by a concert. Just be aware that you will need a little time to adjust your left hand technique to acurately fret notes and chords--it can be done though, as I am comfortable playing them and I have big hands. I would go with a cedar top for classical playing, and would recommend Mainland and Ohana. I have yet to play a Lanikai or a Kala that didn't need major setup work, plus their necks are too narrow to fingerpick comfortably. Also, I don' t recommend sealed tuners, as they make the uke very top heavy. I personally like friction tuners as they are very light, but they can take some time to get used to.

Hi and thanks to everyone for your replies so far. I'm wanting a soprano to add to my small collection (it's the only size I don't possess at the moment) and quite like the idea of playing classical music on it. The sound from my SM Ohana CK35G is beautiful, well-rounded and mellow. I was thinking that a Spruce top Sop may perhaps have a bit more bite? On the other hand I like the sound of cedar too - but I seem to remember something about Cedar being a bit fragile/ prone to dings & dents etc?
AL

I too find classical music more challenging on the soprano than the tenor (mostly has to do with balancing the little sucker correctly so my fretting hand can run free). However, it is personal. My only input would be to make sure you get a sop with at least 15 frets. I am planning to sell my only 12 fret sop (and it is great!) because I need access to 13-15 frets for some of my classical pieces. I know there are work arounds, but for me, that is just too complicated. Just something to consider! Good luck.

Consider a Long Neck Soprano. Anuenue makes some in your budget that sound very nice, and play well too. I also have found the Cordoba Sopranos nice to play, and they have 15 frets on a traditional soprano neck.

The most famous classical sopranoist, John King.

I second the spruce or softwood topped soprano, and the Bruko brand in your price range.

Hi and thanks to everyone for your replies so far. I'm wanting a soprano to add to my small collection (it's the only size I don't possess at the moment) and quite like the idea of playing classical music on it. The sound from my SM Ohana CK35G is beautiful, well-rounded and mellow. I was thinking that a Spruce top Sop may perhaps have a bit more bite? On the other hand I like the sound of cedar too - but I seem to remember something about Cedar being a bit fragile/ prone to dings & dents etc?
AL

I owned a solid cedar takamine that did sustain a few dings in the top over the years, but it had a satin finish. If you you get a gloss finish, I doubt you will have much problems.

I play Renaissance music and a lot of picking things and find an Ohana Vita to suit my purposes very well with a reentrant tuning.

I play a lot of tenor with low g for jazz but when I want a high g I like the Vita neck and body more than that of a standard soprano. It just seems a little bit easier than the soprano, even though a Vita is basically a soprano. You can obviously make longer stretches on a soprano than on a tenor or a concert. Working on a shorter neck seems to make playing on a longer neck easier later.

If I were to really go for the best sound I'd look for a Vita better than the Ohana. But don't get me wrong. An Ohana Vita is a great instrument for the price.

I vote spruce. Just about all classical guitars out there are either cedar or spruce top, with a hardwood (traditionally rosewood) body. Spruce will be a bit brighter, cedar a bit darker. Spruce being the stiffer tonewod, can also take a good long time (being played regularly) to fully open up. Cedar typically has a more open sound right out of the gate and will not improve over time nearly as much as spruce. For this reason, I've always felt that spruce tops have more 'potential' to be great. I'm not sure if this is as true for ukuleles as for classical guitars, but I imagine it applies.

You shouldn't worry too much about durability though. As one poster said, with a gloss finish, cedar will hold up just fine. I also agree with the poster who recommended going bigger (tenor, or maybe concert) and string low G. I have a soprano, and while I do like to fingerpick on it, I'm much cleaner and better on my larger instruments. (You might be, but I ain't no John King, Steve!)

-(Other) Steve

I too find classical music more challenging on the soprano than the tenor (mostly has to do with balancing the little sucker correctly so my fretting hand can run free). However, it is personal. My only input would be to make sure you get a sop with at least 15 frets. I am planning to sell my only 12 fret sop (and it is great!) because I need access to 13-15 frets for some of my classical pieces. I know there are work arounds, but for me, that is just too complicated. Just something to consider! Good luck.

How can you use more frets my sops. totally die at the 12th :(

Mark

I love to play classical on a soprano uke. I really enjoy the extra challenge of fingerwork on such a small instrument.

Of my sopranos, my vintage mahogany Martin serves well for classical, and so does my Koa/Cedar William King. Both are warm toned ukes, the King is has a fuller, deeper tone, and the Martin has clearer note separation. If you are interested in classical on soprano, check out Wilfried Welti's youtube channel. He gets a lot of tone out of his little Glyph soprano.

I like Kiwayas in all sizes for classical. My concert Kiwaya is a nice classical uke, and I have played classical on a KTS-4 and a KTS-7, and also on a tenor. Herman Vandecauter has some nice youtube videos of classical on a tenor Kiwaya. Kiwayas are nicely balanced instruments, with a warm tone and clear note separation.

The main thing is you don't want a uke with a thick or muddy tone. Good intonation is a must too. Plenty of good options. Good luck!

Last edited:
I am partial to my Martin OXK and Brueko #2 maple for classical.

Top Bottom