PDA

View Full Version : Replace Strings..when?

prairieschooner
07-19-2013, 07:32 AM
Just looking for a little advice on strings. Just picked up a Favilla with Worth Clear Strings. They are newer and sound great but how long do the last? When should one replace the Strings??

strumsilly
07-19-2013, 07:38 AM
depends on how much and how hard you play them. when they start soundin dull or you can feel them fraying, or you just want to try new strings. they last a pretty long time. especially the Fluorocarbon.

fernandogardinali
07-19-2013, 08:05 AM
I usually exchange them when they stop intonating.

Kanaka916
07-19-2013, 02:45 PM
There really isn't anything written in stone regarding when to change strings. Because they are somewhat inexpensive, there are those who will swap/replace them every 3-4 months or every 6 months. Some performers will change them after couple of shows. Here are a few more reasons:
1) When constantly tuning
2) How often and how long one plays
3) When the bottom of the strings have fret indentations
4) Strings do not have sustain

prairieschooner
07-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys, I would expect that these are older than 6 months old. I will pick up a set and be ready but then will need advice on how to do that job.

PTOEguy
07-19-2013, 05:50 PM
First time I replaced strings on my uke was when I noticed a drop in volume on the aquilas I was playing (they probably had 6 months on the clock). The difference was night and day and I don't let it go quite as long these days.

youtube has a plethora of videos on how to change strings. I found the HMS one helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwNDkh43oqc

Johnny GDS
07-19-2013, 05:51 PM
One thing you can do to kind of check how much use a string has on it is to pinch the string between your thumb and first finger and run your hand up the length of the it. If you feel any indentions, inconsistencies, or "fuzziness", the string has some wear and tear. Based on how much wear you feel, you can decide when to change strings. The indentions and wear are what cause the intonation and brightness to fade over time because the radius of the string in not consistent.

If you get in the habit of checking this from time to time, you will be able to gauge when you need to change strings.