PDA

View Full Version : Move over Eleuke... It is Teton Time!

Mim
07-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Ok, the news you all have been waiting for!

:::drum roll:::

Affordable Solid Body Electrics are Back!

Teton Solid Body Electric Ukuleles!

And they will be here in a couple weeks!

Why Teton you ask? What happened to Eleuke?

Well... we know there was some quality problems with the Eleuke. The US company who distributes them and holds the rights to some of the technology also makes Teton Guitars. And these guitars are AWESOME!!! Well made, high quality, affordably priced guitars with a great reputation. The same makers of these guitars are now making the Teton Solid Body Electric Ukuleles. Same company that distributed them before, just with a lot more say and control over quality and stock levels... hooooo-ray!

But why rename?
These solid bodies, on the other hand, will be of a quality that lives up to the Teton label!

What are they like?

When I got to look at the prototype at Winter NAMM, the frets were AMAZING (really important), the Electronics were good, the tuners were a step up, and the finish was great! And of course, before I send mine out they are going to be highly scrutinized to make sure they are everything I hope they will be. But, honestly, I am expecting these to be a step up from the most recent Eleuke models!

Wanna see what they look like?

Now... these are the Prototypes. So there may be a few changes such a knobs or small cosmetic details. There will also be the MP3 input and headphone output, but you will get the idea from these pictures. And when they come in... I will update the thread with some pictures of the actual production models. They are starting with 2 models. Available in both tenor and concert. Which do you like better? The center soundhole or the offset?

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_0122.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_0121.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_0119.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_0120.jpg

So, how much?

The tenor suggested retail is $329.99
The concert suggested retail Is $299.99

So, not sure what they will "go for" but plan on spending around $260ish for a concert, $280ish for a tenor.

So... that is the news! If you have any feedback, questions, happy thoughts, musings, etc. Let me know! If I don't know the answer I will find out the answer!

Disclaimer:
I hate to come across as self-promoting any uke I carry of UU, unless someone has a question that I know I can answer from experience, cause when I am on UU I am a member, not a dealer... BUT... I know people have been aching for this info and when it comes to Eleuke... ooops, I mean TETON UKULELES... and I am always "in the know" with this company because they were the first ukuleles I carried and we have worked together a lot and they are my good buddies because of that. BUT...That being said... now that I cleared that up... ummm... :::clears throat::: ... if you want one... e-mail me: mim at mimsukes dot com. I say this because, I don't want to be understocked, but right not I also cant afford to be overstocked and I want to meet needs of the people who have been waiting. Ok... I did it. I self-promoted. Ack... back into my hole I go!

Freeda
07-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Pretty wood stripe! I like the center hole best.

UkeKiddinMe
07-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Where's the baritone love?

Mim
07-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Where's the baritone love?

Not yet :(

I know, I know...

but if yall buy up all the Concerts and Tenors and they realize this is what the uke world has been waiting for, I am sure Baritones will come soon!

This is just the first run!

(PS... I love being called "love". You are my new best friend!)

pootsie
07-19-2013, 03:21 PM
I love them both!

Thanks for the good news, Mim!

Texangal
07-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Very cool, Mim.

armchair_spaceman
07-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Ooooh aaaaaah...do keep us informed...

Which do you like better? The center soundhole or the offset?

Hmmm... taste is a funny thing...to my eyes the soundhole in the centre looks sorta right, makes the body look more balanced. On the other hand, the offset hole could double as a carry handle...

Like the knobs on the offset one better.

Have 'em make both.

Doc_J
07-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Hmmm. The offset looks better to me.

Wish they made chambered body models, too.

Pueo
07-19-2013, 03:50 PM
I like the offset soundhole. I also like the neck-through stripe design. Nice to see they are back.
By the way, I like the name too. Teton is actually a French word, and it means, well, boob. You have heard of the Grand Teton mountains? They were named by 19th century French-speaking trappers who saw them and thought they looked like "Grand Tetons" - big boobs. Gotta love the French!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/Grand_Teton_in_Winter-NPS.jpg/250px-Grand_Teton_in_Winter-NPS.jpg

BgmUke
07-19-2013, 03:53 PM
omg omg omg!

Oh, and I like the centre hole more.
It looks really quirky and cute, like a slap in the face to acoustic ukes.

Mim
07-19-2013, 03:54 PM
I like the offset soundhole. I also like the neck-through stripe design. Nice to see they are back.
By the way, I like the name too. Teton is actually a French word, and it means, well, boob. You have heard of the Grand Teton mountains? They were named by 19th century French-speaking trappers who saw them and thought they looked like "Grand Tetons" - big boobs. Gotta love the French!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/Grand_Teton_in_Winter-NPS.jpg/250px-Grand_Teton_in_Winter-NPS.jpg

Tee Hee Hee...

I wonder if these guys knew that when they named them?

I am going to tease them about it next I talk to them!!! This should be fun!

OldePhart
07-19-2013, 03:58 PM

Ahhh, you beat me to it, but at least I can mention how appropriate it is that Mim is going to be carrying these... :devilhorns:

Jim Hanks
07-19-2013, 04:00 PM
to my eyes the soundhole in the centre looks sorta right, makes the body look more balanced.....Like the knobs on the offset one better..

:agree: center sound hole with marked knobs.

The offset hole is just too weird for me with the severe cutaway hook and the cut off fretboard.

Wow, so many new electric options this fall. Elekstick at $200-ish, Teton at $280-ish, Pono at $650-ish, not to mention Godin at $600. How I am supposed to get one of these and my "nice" tenor? Argh!

ukemunga
07-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Those are simply suhweeettt!

v30
07-19-2013, 04:27 PM
How do they sound compared to the eleuke?

Mim
07-19-2013, 04:47 PM
How do they sound compared to the eleuke?

When they come in I will report on that. But I am sure they will sound as good as the mid-model Eleukes (when the electronics were spot on and the quality was super good). It is a under saddle piezo system. Makes it great to use for effects when there is no acoustic properties to get in the way. Plus you can "silently" practice with headphones if you want. Of course I sell these to a lot of people who just want to be able to plug in and rock out, but I also sell a lot of these to apartment dwellers, college kids, and people who are instructed not to wake the baby :)

kvehe
07-19-2013, 05:08 PM
I like the center hole and love the stripe. I agree with Jim and think the offset hole is weird.

mattydee
07-19-2013, 06:25 PM
I also like the center hole -- it's cheeky and stylish at the same time. I sold my eleuke pineapple, but could be tempted to pick up a concert version of one of these... Hmm.

fitncrafty
07-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Wow these are gorgeous Mim.. love them! I personally like the offset hole.. I love the stripe, Still love my eleuke.. I am pretty sure I have one of the good ones.. Love them.. I have no doubt that whatever leaves your shop will be amazing!

Johnny GDS
07-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Those are friggin cool! I gotta get me one. Love it.

PTOEguy
07-19-2013, 06:44 PM
Prefer the center hole, but mostly because of the cutout shape. Would like the offset equally well if it had a less aggressive cutout shape.

equina
07-19-2013, 06:57 PM
I prefer no soundhole, but a heart-shaped soundhole at the centre would look sweet...
Could we have a beautiful sunburst colour as well? I so love electrics with sunburst colours!
Add in side markers too!

Also, very important to us uke players: please move the fret marker at the 9th fret to the 10th fret.

experimentjon
07-19-2013, 07:05 PM
I actually dig the center hole a LOT. I think as others have mentioned, the more traditional cutout shape also helps the aesthetics. Of the knob choices, the unmarked one also looks significantly better than the one with the white notch. I have a feeling these will sell quite well.

perep
07-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Mimm
These look great, like center hole better. Might have to get one of these. I am trying to cut down & this happens

pootsie
07-19-2013, 07:36 PM
I am sure both models will sell quite well, but I agree that the unmarked knobs look much better. Can they make them out of the same wood? That would be even nicer.

I am leaning center-hole, now.

v30
07-19-2013, 07:47 PM
I like center hole.

iDavid
07-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Why have a hole at all? I like them both. The price is great.

konut
07-19-2013, 08:07 PM

I worked at the Jackson Lake Lodge in the Grand Teton National Park the summer of '07. It was pointed out that the Tetons are actually 3 peaks. Those French trappers must have been former carneys at a freak show. Oo La La!

Edgeguy
07-19-2013, 08:22 PM
I really like the offset sound hole, but with the non striped knobs.

BgmUke
07-19-2013, 08:55 PM
I call dibs btw ;)

bbycrts
07-19-2013, 08:57 PM
I don't care for the center sound hole at all. I kind of like the offset hole, but put me in the camp of they need to do a run without any hole at all. It's an electric - make it look like an electric!

So...will they attempt anything like the peanut, do you think?

PhilUSAFRet
07-20-2013, 05:41 AM
Still have the MP3?

UkeKiddinMe
07-20-2013, 05:43 AM
(PS... I love being called "love". You are my new best friend!)

Niiiiiiiice. :)

UkeKiddinMe
07-20-2013, 05:48 AM
My two cents on the design is: looks very nice, but I, too, would prefer to see a design like that with No hole. I also think the rounded dome knobs look better on that design than the other ones.

Paul December
07-20-2013, 06:16 AM
:confused: Any chance they'll revive the idea of a steel string model?
...even better, how about a steel string baritone? :cool:

equina
07-20-2013, 10:06 AM
The nut width looks very wide to me, like 1.5"? I have small hands, and would prefer a 1.38" nut width...

SparkyD
07-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the Big Reveal, Mim! I’ve been waiting for some quality options in a tenor electric after the Eleukes started going downhill, and it looks like several are in the pipeline. I’m looking forward to your updates.

The stripes look very seventies to me, which I know is retro now, but I lived through that decade and those stripes bring back bad memories! Maybe there’s a structural reason for them, but I prefer the clean look. No stripes, polka dots, or plaids.

I agree with the sentiments of all the center-hole partisans. The visual balance is more pleasing, and the cutaway horn is less pointy and flimsy-looking.

Question for UUers: What I primarily want to do with a nylon-stringed solid-body electric is connect it to my iPad (and from there to headphones or PA) for virtual effects pedals/amps and iOS recording. I’ll need to get a digital instrument interface such as an iRig HD or Apogee Jam to marry the uke and the iPad, but I can’t find any reports anywhere online from anyone who has actually done this. Lots of people say that it should work, that it will work, and even recommend it to others, but they don’t seem to have done it themselves. I contacted IK Multimedia about their iRig HD, and they’d only say it might work but not if the instrument requires additional power, from something like a guitar amp. They said that active/piezo pickups may require additional power or voltage. Has anyone here at UU successfully put together a set-up like this, with a nylon-stringed solid-body electric uke (an Eleuke, for instance, or a Ko'olau CE-1 or CE-2)?

iDavid
07-20-2013, 03:43 PM
The nut width looks very wide to me, like 1.5"? I have small hands, and would prefer a 1.38" nut width...

My vote would be for 1 3/8 also.

Mim
07-20-2013, 04:17 PM
I don't care for the center sound hole at all. I kind of like the offset hole, but put me in the camp of they need to do a run without any hole at all. It's an electric - make it look like an electric!

Not sure. This is the first run. I am sure if they sell well there will be lots of other things added such as soprano models, and baritone models, etc. So we shall see. I like the non-hole look too. My favorite Eleukes were the black metallic with the F holes because they were so rock n roll.

Still have the MP3?

I believe so, yes :)

:confused: Any chance they'll revive the idea of a steel string model?
...even better, how about a steel string baritone? :cool:

A streel string would be way in the future, but as of now, last time they attempted it, it was hard to get the intonation and scale right. So I am not sure if that would be in the works for quite awhile.

My vote would be for 1 3/8 also.

Not sure what the final nut width will be. As soon as I know I will tell yall!

Now... as far as the knobs, not sure which they went with. Again, these were the prototypes from January and I talked about preferences for knobs too... such as... a little upgrade goes a long way. So we shall see what they show up with. As soon as they hit my shop yall know I will be blowing this thread up with pictures :)

Jim Hanks
07-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Question for UUers: What I primarily want to do with a nylon-stringed solid-body electric is connect it to my iPad (and from there to headphones or PA) for virtual effects pedals/amps and iOS recording. I’ll need to get a digital instrument interface such as an iRig HD or Apogee Jam to marry the uke and the iPad, but I can’t find any reports anywhere online from anyone who has actually done this. )?

I can attest that the Apogee Jam works just fine to connect ukes to an iPad. I've done this with three passive pickups - whatever comes in a Risa concert stick, Ohana TKS-15E, and Bruko baritone. I've used it for recording directly into the Meteor Multitrack Recorder app, and also through the JamUp Pro app. I have not connected to a PA, but absolutely there are DI boxes to take 1/8" stereo headphone output to line level for the PA. Or you can get a larger in-out interface that will take the guitar input and output audio together. I don't have experience with those but a trip to Guitar Center or Sam Ash would sort that out of wanted to go that route.

Lori
07-20-2013, 04:38 PM
I vote for the center hole, and dome knobs.

Can't wait to hear a sound sample!

–Lori

SparkyD
07-20-2013, 10:31 PM
I can attest that the Apogee Jam works just fine to connect ukes to an iPad. I've done this with three passive pickups - whatever comes in a Risa concert stick, Ohana TKS-15E, and Bruko baritone. I've used it for recording directly into the Meteor Multitrack Recorder app, and also through the JamUp Pro app.

Thanks, Jim. Those are just the kinds of apps I intend to use. I havenít asked Apogee, but the iRig HD techs told me that their DI (I assume that means digital interfaceóthese terms are all new to me!) would work with passive pickups, but not necessarily with active ones, because they often require extra power. And I believe that the Tetons and the Pono TE have active pickups, but maybe Mim could correct me if I'm wrong.

Iím hesitant to buy an electric (not acoustic-electric) uke if I donít know in advance that it will connect up as I hope, as I live in the deep boonies, so acquiring and testing combinations of equipment can be tricky. Iím already connecting to my Behringer PA with my iPad for producing digital music, so that part of the equation works, so itís the other end of things that is stumping me. I wonder if any Eleuke users here (I think those pickups are active) might have tried this setup with a digital interface and iPad?

Jim Hanks
07-21-2013, 05:12 AM
the iRig HD techs told me that their DI (I assume that means digital interface—these terms are all new to me!) would work with passive pickups, but not necessarily with active ones, because they often require extra power.

:confused: Well, I just learned something new. Apparently, there are active pickups powered through the cable ("phantom power") , but this is very uncommon, not "often" as the IK techs said. Almost always, the pickup is powered by a battery, usually a 9V, sometimes rechargeable like the MiSi. I think you're safe with any uke pickup and a Jam.

teruterubouzu
07-21-2013, 06:44 AM

Yup, I agree! But if I had to choose, I'd go with the offset and the marked knobs. These are really cute!

OldePhart
07-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks, Jim. Those are just the kinds of apps I intend to use. I haven’t asked Apogee, but the iRig HD techs told me that their DI (I assume that means digital interface—these terms are all new to me!) would work with passive pickups, but not necessarily with active ones, because they often require extra power. And I believe that the Tetons and the Pono TE have active pickups, but maybe Mim could correct me if I'm wrong.

DI = originally from "direct injection" because it is used the same way that the DI input on a sound board is (i.e. an instrument-level high-impedance unbalanced signal injected after the balanced microphone input). DI boxes are designed to take the unbalanced high impedance input from a device like an electric guitar or what have you and "match" it to a balanced microphone line for the long run to the mixer. They can be passive - in which case it's basically just a transformer - or powered in which case the transformer is usually replaced with an op-amp circuit of one sort or another.

You should be able to use a DI box (active or passive) with just about any device that takes a 1/4" jack regardless of whether the device has an active or passive pickup. You may need to trim the volume some with an active pickup to avoid overdriving a powered DI box or the input preamp of the mixer, but usually not (and better DI boxes have a 15 to 20 db "pad" on the input to drop the volume).

If you are using a passive piezo pickup with no onboard preamp you want to keep the cable between the instrument and the DI box as short as possible. The high impedance unbalanced line is very susceptible to noise. Once it's converted to a balanced Lo-Z line in the DI box you can have runs of hundreds of feet to the mixer without too much worry over noise. (The "snake" in our church is a 200' snake and we have no problems in spite of being in a building with the crappiest 1960's wiring imaginable.)

John

OldePhart
07-21-2013, 09:45 AM
:confused: Well, I just learned something new. Apparently, there are active pickups powered through the cable ("phantom power") , but this is very uncommon, not "often" as the IK techs said. Almost always, the pickup is powered by a battery, usually a 9V, sometimes rechargeable like the MiSi. I think you're safe with any uke pickup and a Jam.

I don't know of any pickups that use phantom power (not saying they don't exist, but if they're out there they are extremely rare). Many microphones require power, which is why any mixer worth purchasing will have 48v phantom power available (and switchable - the phantom power can actually interfere with some preamps though that's more an issue of poor design in the preamp).

If your pickup works with a mono 1/4" jack you can pretty much rest assured it does not require phantom power.

John

OldePhart
07-21-2013, 09:47 AM
I wonder if any Eleuke users here (I think those pickups are active) might have tried this setup with a digital interface and iPad?

I haven't used mine with an iPad but I've used it with a PreSonus two-channel USB audio interface and it works fine. The pickup is active but that really has nothing to do with the connection equation. At worst you might need to turn the volume down some if you are driving the iPad interface into clipping.

Jon Moody
07-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Pretty wood stripe! I like the center hole best.

Funny, I really like the offset. Glad they have both!

Mandarb
07-22-2013, 05:52 AM
I prefer the one with the hole in the center. As others have mentioned it would be cool to see a full solid body as well.

SparkyD
07-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks, Jim and OldePhart. Uh oh . . . now I’m really in over my head! I had to read this great input a few times to get it through my non-tech skull, but from what I can understand, it looks like the setup I have in mind might indeed be possible.

I had wondered whether the 9V battery (or the MiSi with the Pono TE) would provide the necessary power, but the IK techs were noncommittal about that.

I thought that “DI” was an acronym for Digital Interface or Digital Instrument Interface or Digital Audio Interface, all of which are terms I’d seen used for the iRig HD and Apogee Jam (and there are a few other brands, too). As my ignorance about electronics terminology is already showing, I’d better not make things worse with short forms! However, it appears we’re talking about the same thing.

OldePhart, your comment on the conversion to a Lo-Z line reminded me that IK said that “iRig HD will work with any instrument with a pickup with instrument level, high impedance (or Hi-Z) output.” Which makes it sound even more promising for the Teton or Pono.

A local Eleuke dealer I spoke to a few weeks ago—who seemed to know less about them than I do, and had never heard of digital interfaces to iPads—said that he didn’t think that a nylon-stringed instrument with a piezo pickup would work with this setup . . . but I think he was talking out of his soundhole.

If I have any more questions on this subject, I’m wondering if I should take them to another area of the UU forum? (I would still love to hear from someone who’s done what I hope to do.) This is really Mim’s Q&A area for the new Teton electric ukes, and I seem to have hijacked it.

Stay tuned for more news from Mim . . . and thanks for so much helpful information!

Jim Hanks
07-22-2013, 07:37 PM
SparkyD, feel free to start your own threads with further questions. Also feel free to use the "private messaging" feature if you want to talk to a specific UU member privately. I have sent you just such a message so go look for your Inbox.

Skitzic
07-23-2013, 02:35 AM
I really like the middle sound hole, and I like the stripe. Offset sound holes bug me, unless there are two of them.

There's an idea! Double puka solid body!

Mim
07-23-2013, 06:22 AM
This is really Mimís Q&A area for the new Teton electric ukes, and I seem to have hijacked it.

Stay tuned for more news from Mim . . . and thanks for so much helpful information!

Hahaha... nooooo! Hijack away! Because if people google a question about Tetons/ Eleuke and recording they will probably find this thread and there is a lot of great info in here! So keep on talking!!! It is good info and it is nice when it is public so people can access it!

pootsie
07-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Hahaha... nooooo! Hijack away! Because if people google a question about Tetons/ Eleuke and recording they will probably find this thread and there is a lot of great info in here! So keep on talking!!! It is good info and it is nice when it is public so people can access it!

So far this is the only thing Google has!

Therefore, we need more info, Mim.

When? Are they seeking input on proto-types? Need some beta-testers (nudge wink)? Tell us more about this MP3 thing. What kind of tuners are they using? What type of wood? Do they intend a whole line or a couple models? Make with the info, pronto!

Can you tell I'm excited?

BgmUke
07-23-2013, 06:58 AM
In the spirit of asking questions:
-Are the bags going to be as padded as the Eleukes?
-Will the finalised design have a black backplate, or covered with veneer?

ZoŽ Bestel
07-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Oh oh oh, they are so cool!
Center stripe is lovely, can't decide whether I like the center hole more...think I agree with every one else, SO QUIRKY.
Fab stuff :D

Captain Simian
07-23-2013, 08:51 AM
I hate this thread. I have absolutely no use for an electric uke. My gigging days are over and I'm getting ready to sell my amp. Why do I keep looking at these and think that the center hole electric is what I need to finally be able to play like Lindsey Buckingham?

pootsie
07-23-2013, 09:14 AM
I hate this thread. I have absolutely no use for an electric uke. My gigging days are over and I'm getting ready to sell my amp. Why do I keep looking at these and think that the center hole electric is what I need to finally be able to play like Lindsey Buckingham?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3mX7ApbPlto/UD6jka7OfjI/AAAAAAAAGPQ/g4THd1J277Y/s1600/lord-of-the-rings-450x303frotoring.jpg

SparkyD
07-23-2013, 09:34 AM
SparkyD, feel free to start your own threads with further questions. Also feel free to use the "private messaging" feature if you want to talk to a specific UU member privately. I have sent you just such a message so go look for your Inbox.

Hi Jim, I got your PM, but replied twice and each time my reply seems to have been eaten. Did you get either of them, and if not, what the heck am I doing wrong? Thanks! Diana

Pueo
07-23-2013, 11:22 AM
I worked at the Jackson Lake Lodge in the Grand Teton National Park the summer of '07. It was pointed out that the Tetons are actually 3 peaks. Those French trappers must have been former carneys at a freak show. Oo La La!
Yes, you are correct, and the original name was "Les Trois Tetons" (the three teats) but it was later changed to "Grand Teton."

OldePhart
07-23-2013, 01:05 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3mX7ApbPlto/UD6jka7OfjI/AAAAAAAAGPQ/g4THd1J277Y/s1600/lord-of-the-rings-450x303frotoring.jpg

BWAAAA-HAAAA - that 'bout says it all. A picture really is worth a thousand words...

Tootler
07-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Eleuke will need to move over a bit more. I see Vox are also producing a solid electric uke. It has a built in amplifier and speaker.

So as not to hijack this thread, I've started a separate thread here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?83625-Vox-ukelectric)

SparkyD
07-24-2013, 02:39 PM

Thanks, Mim. I didn't want to step on anyone's fingers or toes. It would be nice if there was a separate forum at UU for solid-body electrics, now that there are so many options (and more and more all the time) from all over the globe. But maybe this user contingent is too tiny for that.

I'll post more here when it's relevant, and start another thread if needed. And when I've actually made my electric uke and digital interface purchases, I'll post a report about what does and doesn't work. Wish me luck!

Mim
07-24-2013, 03:30 PM
-Will the finalised design have a black backplate, or covered with veneer?

Yes the bags should be the same or similar, and I believe it will just have a backplate (which I like because it was always impossible for the veneer to match up).

Annnnd... I got news they are coming in a little earlier than expected, so I hope they will be in my shop in about a week. Wooo hoooo!

pootsie
07-25-2013, 05:06 PM
In my anticipation I "liked" Teton on facebook, and they just posted these:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/44381_554147114621394_2125569770_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1000880_554147047954734_1702282851_n.jpg

More here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.554147034621402.1073741829.162301013806008&type=1
(I don't think you need a facebook account to view)

I think I know what I'm asking Santa Claus to get me this year -- from our favorite elf!

Jim Hanks
07-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Wow. I still like the center hole one. Headstock is cool. Can't wait to get Mim's impression. From an aesthetic viewpoint I have to say this blows the Elekstick out of the water, but it is a good bit more expensive.

v30
07-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Mim, have you firmed up the pricing yet?

Mim
07-25-2013, 06:37 PM
tomorrow... I promise. They are quick because they JUST got them in today.
And I said... me me me... send them to me!!! Hoping they will send some out tomorrow so I will have them late next week.

SparkyD
07-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks, pootsie, for that Facebook lead. Looking at the Teton photos there, I’m now kinda leaning toward the offset “soundhole.” I was previously sold on the center hole and didn’t care for the stripes, but the way the offset cut reveals a wide cross-section of the stripes is pretty damn sexy (the third image is something of a player’s-eye view), and now I’m really liking the sinuous sculpting of the fretboard around the hole, and the . . . oh, my . . . I do believe I need a cool drink.

Is it next week yet?

bazmaz
07-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Look nice, but will be all down to the pickup for me. Never liked any Eleuke I've played - pickups are cheap as they can be, so no wonder. Hoping this brand recognised that the main thing it needs to do well (ie be electrified) is the area they should focus on!

BgmUke
07-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Thanks, pootsie, for that Facebook lead. Looking at the Teton photos there, I’m now kinda leaning toward the offset “soundhole.” I was previously sold on the center hole and didn’t care for the stripes, but the way the offset cut reveals a wide cross-section of the stripes is pretty damn sexy (the third image is something of a player’s-eye view), and now I’m really liking the sinuous sculpting of the fretboard around the hole, and the . . . oh, my . . . I do believe I need a cool drink.

I was almost swayed by that amazing cross-sectional view, but I have a dream and it involves playing my ukulele from the back through the centre hole!!

KoaDependent
07-26-2013, 05:59 AM
In another post on their Facebook page, they hint that there are acoustic versions coming too. What do you know about these, Mim?

Mim
07-26-2013, 07:10 AM
In another post on their Facebook page, they hint that there are acoustic versions coming too. What do you know about these, Mim?

Nothing... yet... they will tell me I guess. But, it is weird to me to put that kind of electronics in an acoustic instrument. The headphone stuff I mean. But yeah, as soon as I know I will tell ya!

pootsie
07-26-2013, 07:54 AM
It looks to me like the FB teaser was just for the solid-bodies.

Teton
07-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Hi Everyone! I'm not sure how to do this, but this seemed like as good a thread as any to jump in on. You haven't heard from me for a little while and I'd like to explain why. I used to post under the EleukeUSA handle. For obvious reasons, the EleukeUSA account will no longer be used. EleukeUSA is a different company than Eleuke. Eleuke is the manufacturer and EleukeUSA was the U.S. wholesale distributor DBA/name. I work for the distributor MIM mentioned above. We're huge MIM fans... We have been the wholesale supplier for Eleuke in the USA for several years now. I have not posted on the UU for a while now because I am not comfortable promoting what the brand had become.
To stay professional, there are things I won't say about our reasons for a launch of our own line, but I will say the following:
We have a commitment to quality. We have been supporting musicians for over 100 years. To continue to serve our customers well with consistent quality products, we felt it was necessary to create our own line of electric ukes. This move gives us control over the amount, quality and design of ukuleles produced. We are working directly with the factory (no middle men). We will be able to take your input and create products that you want. We will be carefully considering the ukes we create and will NOT be announcing a bunch of prototypes and then MAYBE producing them years later. This means that we've started with 2 models and will be expanding slowly based on your input from there. I'll get on later to answer some of the questions raised in this thread. In the mean time, MIM will be a great source of information (as I'm sure she'll be calling me later today since she knows I have these in my office now).

Teton
07-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Teton Acoustic Ukes:
Our first run of Acoustic Ukes will not have electronics and I see zero reason to put a headphone jack in an acoustic uke. We may eventually do traditional uke amplification.

Steel String Uke:
We currently have no plans to do these. Based on our experience they are very difficult to do correctly and we only want to do things right. We will do these if you guys demand it, but it will be a ways off in the future.

Peanut/any eleuke models:
We will be designing our own ukes with our own unique designs. A travel-sized electric uke has always been a personal favorite of mine and is high on my list of things to do... BUT we will only do them right, so they won't be announced tomorrow.

Facebook/Twitter:
If you're on either of these, we'd love to connect with you (and we're giving away a few guitars right now)

Mim
07-26-2013, 08:55 AM
(as I'm sure she'll be calling me later today since she knows I have these in my office now).

I was just assuming mine would be sent today! Wink Wink... Hint Hint... Nudge Nudge... :P

We're huge MIM fans...

Backatcha! Yall, seriously, these guys are the BEST! Good things are gonna happen with this Teton brand! Fo' Sho'!

Captain Simian
07-26-2013, 10:27 AM
I desperately want one. I hate this thread.

pootsie
07-26-2013, 10:38 AM
I desperately want one. I hate this thread.

http://resources.news.com.au/files/2012/12/13/1226536/106583-smeagol.jpg
You really need help, man. The conflict within you is painful to see.

iDavid
07-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Did we ever find out what the nut width is going to be on these?

Teton
07-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Did we ever find out what the nut width is going to be on these?

Sorry, I missed that one. They are 1 3/8

iDavid
07-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Sorry, I missed that one. They are 1 3/8
That is what I was hoping for.

Captain Simian
07-26-2013, 11:52 AM
http://resources.news.com.au/files/2012/12/13/1226536/106583-smeagol.jpg
You really need help, man. The conflict within you is painful to see.

My conflicted emotions are the least of my issues.

Teton
07-26-2013, 12:10 PM
The bags (which I'll photograph soon) are slightly different than the eleuke bags. The eleuke bags have thicker padding, but it is easily compressed. The padding in the Teton bags is a more dense (read does not compress as easily) material which we feel offers better protection. The Teton bag's front pocket is also padded. On the inside of the bag there is a Cordura patch to better protect the instrument from rubbing and protect the bag from the machine heads and bridge.

-Will the finalized design have a black backplate, or covered with veneer?
It has a black backplate.

KoaDependent
07-26-2013, 12:40 PM
It looks to me like the FB teaser was just for the solid-bodies.

Yeah but see their last comment on this post (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=554115477957891&set=a.185798274789615.33632.162301013806008&type=1), which was a tease.
"Psssst... their acoustic brethren are a couple months behind them... don't tell anyone."

Now, does this mean acoustic/electric or just plain acoustic? Time will tell, I suppose. Or perhaps the Teton rep who's been visiting the thread will tell (nudge, nudge).

Teton
07-26-2013, 01:01 PM

Tee Hee Hee... I wonder if these guys knew that when they named them? I am going to tease them about it next I talk to them!!! This should be fun!
Yup, we were aware of the French meaning of the names... but since we're based at the foothills of the Grand Teton mountains... we prefer to think of the beauty of the outdoors. And non of us speak french... so... it seemed like a good idea at the time... :confused:

Pueo
07-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Yup, we were aware of the French meaning of the names... but since we're based at the foothills of the Grand Teton mountains... we prefer to think of the beauty of the outdoors. And non of us speak french... so... it seemed like a good idea at the time... :confused:
You could have some big old trapper-type dude as your mascot, with an outrageous Maurice Chevalier-type accent, Ahh yesss Zeees are Verrry Niiiice! And then he would daintily strum "Sank Evans, for leeeetle girrrrrrrlzzzz" - Yes, I can see the commercial already!

Teton
07-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Yeah but see their last comment on this post (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=554115477957891&set=a.185798274789615.33632.162301013806008&type=1), which was a tease.
"Psssst... their acoustic brethren are a couple months behind them... don't tell anyone." Now, does this mean acoustic/electric or just plain acoustic? Time will tell, I suppose. Or perhaps the Teton rep who's been visiting the thread will tell (nudge, nudge).
We are working on another line of acoustic ukuleles with an awesome factory that we've worked with for over 20+ years. They are "brethren" in the sense that they will have the Teton headstock, logo and push for a good quality/price ratio.
None of them will have electronics initially. We will only add features if there is an actual value to the player (for example: what purpose does a headphone jack serve on an ACOUSTIC uke? Almost none, it's gimmicky.)
If (big if there) we come up with something to add that has some real value to you guys, we'll do it; everything else is marketing fluff.
Most will have solid tops (some solid top/back/sides). We'll have 12-18 models ranging from Soprano to Baritone. We're pushing to have them ready for the 4th Qtr but we'll definitely have them announced at winter NAMM. We just had the main guy from the factory here on Tuesday. They do some sweet looking transparent colored tops with the wood grain showing through... so those will probably be in the line up after this first run... and I'm going to stop talking about stuff not officially in the pipe yet. Cool stuff is coming.

Teton
07-26-2013, 01:34 PM
You could have some big old trapper-type dude as your mascot, with an outrageous Maurice Chevalier-type accent, Ahh yesss Zeees are Verrry Niiiice! And then he would daintily strum "Sank Evans, for leeeetle girrrrrrrlzzzz" - Yes, I can see the commercial already!
Ha! I like where you're going with that. It almost writes itself.

Teton
07-26-2013, 01:35 PM
That is what I was hoping for.
Good to hear!

cashew
07-26-2013, 01:37 PM
We are working on another line of acoustic ukuleles with an awesome factory that we've worked with for over 20+ years. They are "brethren" in the sense that they will have the Teton headstock, logo and push for a good quality/price ratio.
None of them will have electronics initially. We will only add features if there is an actual value to the player (for example: what purpose does a headphone jack serve on an ACOUSTIC uke? Almost none, it's gimmicky.)
If (big if there) we come up with something to add that has some real value to you guys, we'll do it; everything else is marketing fluff.
Most will have solid tops (some solid top/back/sides). We'll have 12-18 models ranging from Soprano to Baritone. We're pushing to have them ready for the 4th Qtr but we'll definitely have them announced at winter NAMM. We just had the main guy from the factory here on Tuesday. They do some sweet looking transparent colored tops with the wood grain showing through... so those will probably be in the line up after this first run... and I'm going to stop talking about stuff not officially in the pipe yet. Cool stuff is coming.

So, like purple/pink/blue tops?

I'd be VERY interested in a colored top acoustic uke in a concert size that was of the not-breaking the bank variety.

Any guesstimate on the price range?

Teton
07-26-2013, 01:50 PM
A steel string would be way in the future, but as of now, last time they attempted it, it was hard to get the intonation and scale right. So I am not sure if that would be in the works for quite awhile.
Just to clarify: WE didn't attempt it, eleuke tried and never quite got it right. We were just the distributor in that situation, so short of passing ideas and suggestions along, we didn't have a lot of control.

IF we go down that road, it will be with a lot of player input and no announcement until we nailed the design and the product in sitting in my grubby little hands. There are a LOT of challenges with steel strings. Frankly, there are few companies that have overcome these challenges well. The tension of steel strings on such a small scale length poses significant issues that very few factories would understand. It's not just "put steel strings on this uke" or "make a small guitar with four strings" as I'm sure you guys know. Then there's the fact that the voice of a ukulele is significantly different from a guitar. The vibration style and mic'd pickups work well for nylon strings, but you need magnetic pickups for steel. Magnetic pickups are engineered for the voice and range of an electric guitar. A lot of the problems steel string uke makers have had in the past are due to not properly addressing the voice and size of a uke correctly.

Long story short (too late), we won't try to go steel unless we feel like we can add something to the market and are confident that we can do it very well and at an affordable price point.

Teton
07-26-2013, 01:59 PM
So, like purple/pink/blue tops? I'd be VERY interested in a colored top acoustic uke in a concert size that was of the not-breaking the bank variety. Any guesstimate on the price range?
The colors will be next year. They will be sweet, but not for this year. As far as a price point, I have to wait to see how much production, materials, freight from the factory, customs, etc all come to before I give a range. I will tell you though that the philosophy behind the Teton line is to jam as much quality sound and materials into as low a price point as possible. We won't do much in the way of "entry level" or "student" ukes, so expect it to be low mid-range and up. Sorry to be so vague.

cashew
07-26-2013, 02:28 PM
The colors will be next year. They will be sweet, but not for this year. As far as a price point, I have to wait to see how much production, materials, freight from the factory, customs, etc all come to before I give a range. I will tell you though that the philosophy behind the Teton line is to jam as much quality sound and materials into as low a price point as possible. We won't do much in the way of "entry level" or "student" ukes, so expect it to be low mid-range and up. Sorry to be so vague.

Hey, that's cool :) Thanks.

v30
07-26-2013, 03:13 PM
How about posting some sound samples?

SparkyD
07-26-2013, 04:44 PM
We will be able to take your input and create products that you want .... I'll get on later to answer some of the questions raised in this thread.

Hey Teton!
This is all excellent news, and Mimís endorsement is the Midas touch. After doing a ton of research on Eleukes over the past few weeks and getting alternating wowie-zowies and heebie-jeebies, I had decided to buy a Koíolau Pono TE when they come out in the fall. However, everything Iím reading here is pulling me Teton-ward.

I donít know if youíve seen my questions about digital instrument interfaces earlier in this thread, but if anyone will know for sure if theyíll work with the Tetons, you would. My purchase of a solid-body is contingent upon my being able to connect it through an iRig HD (or similar) to my iPad for effects and recordingówith apps like Amplitube, JamUp Pro XT, and GarageBand. I really donít want to buy a Teton and then find out that this setup wonít work. If you can say for sure that it will, Iím putting Mim on speed dial.

SparkyD
07-26-2013, 04:48 PM
The bags (which I'll photograph soon) are slightly different than the eleuke bags.

I'm a hard case kinda gal. Will you have those for the Teton ukes, or can you recommend an aftermarket brand/model?

Mim
07-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Just to clarify: WE didn't attempt it, eleuke tried and never quite got it right. We were just the distributor in that situation, so short of passing ideas and suggestions along, we didn't have a lot of control.

Ooops, did not mean to imply you guys. Haha. Still working on saying Teton now instead of Eleuke. Teton, Teton, Teton.

pootsie
07-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm a hard case kinda gal.

Every gal I've ever known is a hard case.

badum-tish

SparkyD
07-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Every gal I've ever known is a hard case.
. . . but with a soft, musical center.

Teton
07-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Hey Teton!
This is all excellent news, and Mim’s endorsement is the Midas touch. After doing a ton of research on Eleukes over the past few weeks and getting alternating wowie-zowies and heebie-jeebies, I had decided to buy a Ko’olau Pono TE when they come out in the fall. However, everything I’m reading here is pulling me Teton-ward.

I don’t know if you’ve seen my questions about digital instrument interfaces earlier in this thread, but if anyone will know for sure if they’ll work with the Tetons, you would. My purchase of a solid-body is contingent upon my being able to connect it through an iRig HD (or similar) to my iPad for effects and recording—with apps like Amplitube, JamUp Pro XT, and GarageBand. I really don’t want to buy a Teton and then find out that this setup won’t work. If you can say for sure that it will, I’m putting Mim on speed dial.
I'll preface my comment with - I haven't tested any of those interfaces with these ukes... so everything I'm saying is theory right now. So here's the theory:
There are two outputs: 1/4 inch and headphones
I have personally tested both of these and they sound clear and strong.
The 1/4 inch is made specifically to plug a guitar cable into it and output to an amplifier.
The headphone jack is for headphones.
There is a 9volt battery, so the uke is powered, not phantom. Having played it for a few minutes in 3-4 different headphones/earbuds and 2-3 different amps, I'm pretty confident in the following statement: I can't imagine an iRig (or similar) having any problems with this uke. Having said that, I've got a Behringer UFO202 that I use for podcasting at home that I'll bring in to the office and test on Monday.

Teton
07-26-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm a hard case kinda gal. Will you have those for the Teton ukes, or can you recommend an aftermarket brand/model?

Um... I'm pretty certain we won't be doing any hardshells anytime soon (or ever) unless the R&D guys get bored, you'd have to go aftermarket... and I don't have a clue right now what would work. The reason is that these are pretty solid... and by solid, I mean that they are literally a giant block of solid wood. I'm sure MIM or anyone of our Teton dealers that carries these would be happy to toss them in a couple of cases to check it out.

Teton
07-26-2013, 09:17 PM
How about posting some sound samples?

Yes, this will happen. I can't promise you when, but soon (and likely by many of our dealers)... but give me a couple of weeks (I'm also the marketing guy for a ton of other brands and sales channels that we do and [insert other excuses here])

Teton
07-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Ooops, did not mean to imply you guys. Haha. Still working on saying Teton now instead of Eleuke. Teton, Teton, Teton.
Oh, I know that's not what you were saying, I was just trying to clarify in case someone may have read it differently. I'm probably just hypersensitive about having people think that we (former eleuke distributor) are the same people as Eleuke (the manufacturer)...

SparkyD
07-27-2013, 09:37 AM
I've got a Behringer UFO202 that I use for podcasting at home that I'll bring in to the office and test on Monday.
Thanks, Teton. I'll stay tuned for your test results.
Re: hard cases — I'll be buying from Mim, so if she's reading this and can case-test the Tetons when they come in, I'd sure appreciate it!

pootsie
07-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Are there any more updates, news or pretty pix to share?

And a question: Would a concert scale Teton electric uke work out well with low-g tuning? Would it need tweaking to work?

Teton
07-31-2013, 01:40 PM
Are there any more updates, news or pretty pix to share?
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. Mim's ukes are on their way to her store, so I'm sure she'll give you her opinion soon. We just shot a video this afternoon for some sound samples. I'll post it here tomorrow after I edit it.

And a question: Would a concert scale Teton electric uke work out well with low-g tuning? Would it need tweaking to work?
I haven't testing this either, but I don't see any reason that it shouldn't work. There might need to be a slight adjustment on the nut so the fatter string fits, but the pickup is vibration based, so it should pick up the lower string just fine and the scale length is the same, so the intonation shouldn't be a problem...

SparkyD
07-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Hey Teton, Did you get a chance to test your Behringer UFO202 with one of your new ukes? If so, do the results bode well for an iRig HD?

Jim Hanks
07-31-2013, 02:32 PM
SparkyD, trust me, you will have zero trouble with an iRig HD and any uke pickup on the market.

SparkyD
07-31-2013, 03:25 PM
SparkyD, trust me, you will have zero trouble with an iRig HD and any uke pickup on the market.
I'm just fretting. I'm 99% confident in all the assurances I'm getting, but not hearing from anyone who's actually done what I want to do is strange. And hearing doubtful comments from manufacturers doesn't help. Maybe players with similar setups are so delighted that they're spending all their uke time playing rather than reporting. But I declare, if this does indeed work, I'll announce it here! Thanks for your calming words, Jim. Sigh.

pootsie
07-31-2013, 04:20 PM
I haven't testing this either, but I don't see any reason that it shouldn't work. There might need to be a slight adjustment on the nut so the fatter string fits, but the pickup is vibration based, so it should pick up the lower string just fine and the scale length is the same, so the intonation shouldn't be a problem...

Good to hear! Thanks

And hearing doubtful comments from manufacturers doesn't help.

I am pretty sure any manufacturer is going to be shy about guaranteeing performance with another company's product even if they are confident about it.

Nickie
07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Way cool, Mim....I don't play electric (yet), but if I ever do...I'll be in touch!

SparkyD
07-31-2013, 05:39 PM
I am pretty sure any manufacturer is going to be shy about guaranteeing performance with another company's product even if they are confident about it.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. But I reserve the right to whine just a little more.

Teton
08-02-2013, 05:57 AM
Teton Ukulele Sound Samples. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9PzeGxLm50

sonomajazz
08-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Any in stock yet? When do you expect to be selling the Teton?? (MIM?)
Love the headphone output for practice.

Freeda
08-02-2013, 06:35 AM
That's fun! Much more interesting than most sound sample videos I have seen. Thanks for taking the extra time to make it engaging.

RichM
08-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Okay, I've resisted this whole solid-body electric uke thing for a long time now... but I might actually want one of these. Oh, Mim.... Mimsy....

Teton
08-02-2013, 07:46 AM
That's fun! Much more interesting than most sound sample videos I have seen. Thanks for taking the extra time to make it engaging.

You're welcome! That's who we are trying to be!

OldePhart
08-02-2013, 08:07 AM

Nice demo! I have a quick question about the stereo output: is it true stereo (i.e. different signal on each channel) or just convenience stereo (i.e. an easy way to record to both channels when using a computer interface but the same signal is on both channels)? If it is true stereo what is the difference between the channels given that there is only one pickup?

Thanks,
John

pootsie
08-02-2013, 08:38 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9PzeGxLm50

Look, I wanted one of these very badly already. You don't have to rub it in. :p

SparkyD
08-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Is it true stereo (i.e. different signal on each channel) or just convenience stereo (i.e. an easy way to record to both channels when using a computer interface but the same signal is on both channels)? If it is true stereo what is the difference between the channels given that there is only one pickup?

I second OldePhart's questions. And I agree with the compliments on your demo—informative and entertaining—and the Teton sounds great. Plus, you offered a thumbs-up hint about a successful generic interface . . . . to a Mac, anyway (which is also a connection of interest to me). I'm reading between the lines that, as an earlier member's post suggested, you can't appear to endorse any specific brands, so the off-camera interface is a mystery. I don’t think it’s that tiny motorcycle under your monitor, but if it is, I want one!

ChaosToo
08-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Wow - SOOOOOOOOO want one of these to take on tour with me in January (and by 'tour', I mean Afghan, not Glastonbury!) :D

If it'll stand up to extremes of heat (and cold) and lots of sand, then I'm in!

(@Mim) How much do you reckon to ship to the UK? Or will you ship to BFPO/AFPO?

iDavid
08-02-2013, 10:29 PM
I would like to see a concert and tenor in the same picture to compare.

iDavid
08-04-2013, 11:17 AM
The tenor looks like a long-neck to me. Do the concert and tenors have the same body size? Could you post the dimensions of each and both in the same picture?

thanks

Teton
08-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Hey Teton, Did you get a chance to test your Behringer UFO202 with one of your new ukes? If so, do the results bode well for an iRig HD?
I didn't realize that my UFO202 was an RCA input... I couldn't find a converter, so I tried going straight into the mic input on the computer and it worked. I'm pretty sure there won't be a problem.

Teton
08-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Nice demo! I have a quick question about the stereo output: is it true stereo (i.e. different signal on each channel) or just convenience stereo (i.e. an easy way to record to both channels when using a computer interface but the same signal is on both channels)? If it is true stereo what is the difference between the channels given that there is only one pickup? Thanks, John
Excellent question. They are convenience stereo. The right and left channels are copies of each other... you could obviously add difference in post or through a mixer or something, but the instruments has no difference between the two.

Teton
08-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Look, I wanted one of these very badly already. You don't have to rub it in. :p
I'm a jerk like that. Just can't help myself.

...I agree with the compliments on your demoóinformative and entertainingóand the Teton sounds great. Plus, you offered a thumbs-up hint about a successful generic interface . . . . to a Mac, anyway (which is also a connection of interest to me). I'm reading between the lines that, as an earlier member's post suggested, you can't appear to endorse any specific brands, so the off-camera interface is a mystery. I donít think itís that tiny motorcycle under your monitor, but if it is, I want one!
1. Thanks!
2. Generic Interface - I love audio interfaces... lots of them... but yes, I'm not going to "officially" endorse anything. The set up we had in the video is actually straight from the headphone jack to the computer mic input. Basically we were showing that the powered headphones can create decent waveforms (enough volume, etc)... I WOULD NOT USE THIS SET UP IN REAL LIFE mainly because of the lag or "audio latency" issues. In other words, the sound you hear from the computer speakers is a little delayed behind your playing... which, as you can imagine, is terribly frustrating. It happens because the computer has to process the sound and spit it out... when I choose an audio interface or a mixer-to-computer setup I always make sure to get my monitoring (headphones, speakers, etc) out BEFORE it goes to the computer.
3. Tiny motorcycle - I like bikes, I had a super nice Honda VTX 1800c for a while until I had to sell it to pay for my daughter's birth... I like my daughter too and now I have a motorcycle on my desk and a Kia.

Teton
08-05-2013, 08:50 AM
I would like to see a concert and tenor in the same picture to compare... Could you post the dimensions of each and both in the same picture?
I know this won't give you exact measurements, but there's a yard stick in there, so hopefully it'll give you a rough idea.

The tenor looks like a long-neck to me. Do the concert and tenors have the same body size?
The body size is the same. The neck is a different length and the saddle/bridge is located in a different spot for proper intonation.
I typically play a soprano, so both of these seem huge to me...

equina
08-05-2013, 09:07 AM
You need to change your position marker from the 9th fret to the 10th fret. Uke players are used to the marker at the 10th fret rather than the 9th fret like guitar players.

Teton
08-05-2013, 09:09 AM
You need to change your position marker from the 9th fret to the 10th fret. Uke players are used to the marker at the 10th fret rather than the 9th fret like guitar players.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll pass that on for the next production.

pootsie
08-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Are there side markers, too?

Teton
08-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Are there side markers, too?
Yup.

iDavid
08-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I'll pass that on for the next production.

Do you know when the next production will be? I planned on getting one of these from Mim, but the fret markers would drive me nuts.

Teton
08-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Do you know when the next production will be? I planned on getting one of these from Mim, but the fret markers would drive me nuts.
That will depend on how quickly these sell. We've only had them for a week, so I couldn't even guess at this point.

redpaul1
08-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Personally I'd prefer a completely solid body, but if you're asking me to choose between those two versions, then I don't like the centre hole one one little bit, especially from the back, where it looks kind of like a Motu. As for the offset version, why a round hole at all. Why not f - shaped, like a thinline Telecaster? Also, on the offset hole uke, how practical is the cutaway? I know that shape works on a Tele, but in my experience, those kind of cutaways on ukes are never wide enough actually to allow you access to the top of the neck.

Just my 2Ę - and only since you asked :)

Jim Hanks
08-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Shouldn't we be hearing back from Mim by now?

Mim
08-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Shouldn't we be hearing back from Mim by now?

Haha... Mim got a cold this weekend when she planned on doing all things Teton. I feel better now. And Monday is always a bit backlogged with weekend orders. And once I have someones money, uke goes out same or next day. So, Tomorrow is dubbed day of the Tetons. So you will hear from me then. Well, I guess you are hearing from me now. But I will catch up on back posts and on e-mails. And also there was a situation where lightning took out my amp. I have a new amp. All will be caught up on tomorrow.

redpaul1
08-05-2013, 10:02 PM
That will depend on how quickly these sell. We've only had them for a week, so I couldn't even guess at this point.

Oh! Wow! Sorry man! Didn't realise you were the actual luthier that made these - and that you were sitting in on this discussion! I wouldn't have been quite so forthright in my comments if I'd known. No offence intended and regrets if any taken!

Muugi
08-06-2013, 05:30 AM
I am not a huge fan of the round holes in the solid body ukes but the visual it provides of a cross section in the wood is fantastic. I think the one with the offset hole shows a great cross section. I prefer the script F holes but doubt they would have that same effect.

I have an Eleuke from Mim before the quality started going down (according to her at least). I am developing a Uke collection disease I think because I kinda want one of these. Hope these sell well so we can see what the second run with further options would look like.

Thanks Teton and Mim for bringing these to our attention.

Teton
08-06-2013, 05:59 AM
Oh! Wow! Sorry man! Didn't realise you were the actual luthier that made these - and that you were sitting in on this discussion! I wouldn't have been quite so forthright in my comments if I'd known. No offence intended and regrets if any taken!
No offense at all! I appreciate the candor. I like to actually know what people are thinking.
btw, I wish I was a luthier, I just designed the body styles and passed them on to much more capable hands. (you should see the design that was deemed too difficult to product. It was rad... or so crazy that everyone would hate it...)

BgmUke
08-06-2013, 06:59 AM
(you should see the design that was deemed too difficult to product. It was rad... or so crazy that everyone would hate it...)

:iwant:
Could we see it?

equina
08-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Actually, the body shape is very sexy--it looks like a Les Paul and I think Les Pauls are sexy. It's just that it looks cooler without the holes. Another feature to consider for future productions i think would be to add a sunburst colour or to add a veneer of beautiful wood grain.

pootsie
08-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Teton

(you should see the design that was deemed too difficult to product. It was rad... or so crazy that everyone would hate it...)

:iwant:
Could we see it?

Ditto! Wanna see that

sonomajazz
08-06-2013, 10:27 AM
So, I came to this thread late...bottom line, are these available yet?

I did see in Teton's demo that it has a headphone output. Can I just plug in headphones for silent practice? Is there a battery?

v30
08-06-2013, 10:37 AM
How do the 'guts' differ from Eleukes.......or are they the same but wrapped in a different package?

SparkyD
08-07-2013, 08:53 PM
The set up we had in the video is actually straight from the headphone jack to the computer mic input. I WOULD NOT USE THIS SET UP IN REAL LIFE mainly because of the lag or "audio latency" issues.

Hmmmn . . . the latency issue gives me pause (pun intended). For recording, maybe this isn’t a problem, but for live playing with pedal and amp effects via iPad apps, it would be.

Teton says that in real life (unlike his video demo), he always makes sure “to get my monitoring (headphones, speakers, etc.) out BEFORE it goes to the computer.” But then how do you hear the effects as you play? Maybe I’m misunderstanding.

The good news (I hope) is that IK Multimedia says that the iRig HD and AmpliTube have “ultra-low latency for live performance,” and a reviewer at gizmag.com reports that “there was no noticeable latency whatsoever.”

I know, I know . . . and I’m probably even more sick of reading myself fretting about this than everybody else is. Meanwhile, the “latency” of any unbiased Teton performance reports makes the suspense even worse. I’ll feel a lot better when Mim gives us her hands-on, candid assessment of the new ukes!

13down
08-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Referring back to the question of which style soundhole I prefer, I have decided that I prefer the center one. I initially thought, "that's boring because it's no different than an acoustic," but then I realized that I'd like having a soundhole in the same spot as on an acoustic, just to have that familiar feel.

Also, as with the other soundhole position, it allows for easier lugging around.

v30
08-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Mim's got a bunch of these listed on ebay in case anyone has cash burning a hole in their pocket...

Mim
08-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Mim's got a bunch of these listed on ebay in case anyone has cash burning a hole in their pocket...

Hahaha!

Sorry for the delay guys! A combination of being sick, being a perfectionist, and a small family emergency my intentions fell short. Basically when I saw how different each of these looked I thought I would not start sending out backorders until people could see and pick out their uke. I would hate for them to go, "I wish I waited so I could get the actual pictures and pick out the one I like." And taking pictures takes so much longer than you would think. Unboxing, pictures, reboxing.

So yes, I have them on ebay... BUT... don't buy from ebay!
They are way cheaper on my site and if you type in the coupon code "Teton" when you check out the shipping to CONUS is free. So here is a link to the post on my site that will link you to only the Teton listings. It has my little write up and all that. If anything... it is pretty to look!

Here (http://mimsukes.com/?p=1015)

Again, sorry for starting this thread, teasing that they would be in last Friday, and then not following through. But for some weird reason I got super busy with orders and when I have someone's money I always put their order as a priority. But every time I thought, 'Good... it slowed down... onto the Tetons', more orders would come in. It is a good problem to have. But now... I am slow... so order away! Haha!

allanr
08-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Hopefully they will make them without the big hole in the middle of the body. IMHO the "sound hole" through a solid body looks (decided not say).

That being said, the offset sound hole on the acoustic Eleukes is/was kinda cool.

BgmUke
08-08-2013, 05:44 PM
in case anyone has cash burning a hole in their pocket...

Not anymore!

SparkyD
08-08-2013, 07:48 PM
I swore (swore, I tell you!) that I wouldn’t buy one of these until I’d read plenty of glowing user reviews. I’m not one of Those People who can’t resist their UA urges. I can wait until I know everything I need to know to make a calm, reasoned decision.

Then Mim had the foolish idea that her customers might actually be interested in picking their favorites, rather than just accepting the next one in line as any reasonable person would. So she shot and posted the aforementioned pictures. I don’t want to sound judgmental about such fussy shoppers, but . . . .

Okay, okay. Mim’s shipping me a beauty tomorrow. I fell in love with an online photo. I don’t know what happened. I was Mimified.

pootsie
08-09-2013, 01:50 AM
I swore (swore, I tell you!) that I wouldn’t buy one of these until I’d read plenty of glowing user reviews. I’m not one of Those People who can’t resist their UA urges. I can wait until I know everything I need to know to make a calm, reasoned decision.

Then Mim had the foolish idea that her customers might actually be interested in picking their favorites, rather than just accepting the next one in line as any reasonable person would. So she shot and posted the aforementioned pictures. I don’t want to sound judgmental about such fussy shoppers, but . . . .

Okay, okay. Mim’s shipping me a beauty tomorrow. I fell in love with an online photo. I don’t know what happened. I was Mimified.

Looking forward to some samples, review, and generally enjoyable vids from you in the near future!

My budgetary situation is such that there is already a hole in my pocket and everything fell out. Gotta wait until xmas. :(

SparkyD
08-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Looking forward to some samples, review, and generally enjoyable vids from you in the near future!

Thanks, pootsie, but with respect and compassion, I will leave audio and video demonstrations to other Teton reviewers. I've only been playing ukes for a couple of months and this is my first stringed instrument. So while I might think I sound like I'm channeling Hendrix, others might worry that I'm suffering a hernia.

However, I'll do what I can to give my written impressions, and I'll certainly report on how well my hoped-for interfacing with my iPad works.

BgmUke
08-11-2013, 08:49 AM
If Teton ukes had pickguards...?

http://youtu.be/Y3u1XO9MlxI

BgmUke
08-11-2013, 08:52 AM
http://youtu.be/GwXSn7GZ-Ls

Yes, I'm too excited to do nothing while my uke travels 15594km to get to me.

pootsie
08-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Thanks, pootsie, but with respect and compassion, I will leave audio and video demonstrations to other Teton reviewers. I've only been playing ukes for a couple of months and this is my first stringed instrument. So while I might think I sound like I'm channeling Hendrix, others might worry that I'm suffering a hernia.

However, I'll do what I can to give my written impressions, and I'll certainly report on how well my hoped-for interfacing with my iPad works.

Nope, not good enough. Beginners need to share their music, too.

I'm only 18 months into this, myself, and I started sharing right away along with lots of others. You will be well received in the UU Ohana, don't worry

SparkyD
08-11-2013, 09:02 AM
I hope "Mr. Teton" is seeing your pickguards, BgmUke. I love the offset one in wood tone. I already thought the ukes (well, my on-its-way one anyway) looked sexy, but this takes them to the next level!

SparkyD
08-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Beginners need to share their music, too. I'm only 18 months into this, myself, and I started sharing right away along with lots of others. You will be well received in the UU Ohana, don't worry

I see your point. My example could demonstrate what a rank beginner can do, which might provide encouragement for those who are considering taking up the uke . . . or persuade them to consider the kazoo instead.

To convince me further, perhaps you could point me link-wise to the first couple of video/audio samples you ever posted here?

I didn't know what "ohana" meant, so I looked it up. Thanks!

pootsie
08-13-2013, 08:37 AM
I see your point. My example could demonstrate what a rank beginner can do, which might provide encouragement for those who are considering taking up the uke . . . or persuade them to consider the kazoo instead.

To convince me further, perhaps you could point me link-wise to the first couple of video/audio samples you ever posted here?

I didn't know what "ohana" meant, so I looked it up. Thanks!

It took me a little searching, but I think this was my first:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?66444-Weekly-Newbie-Challenge-2&p=970012#post970012

Kimosabe
08-13-2013, 08:49 AM
I received my Teton tenor from Mim who provided absolutely saintly service with more kindness than I deserve. I recommend buying from her with no qualifications. She is the equal to anything Music Guy Mike ever provided. She spent two hours setting up my uke.

Now one question about the Teton:

There are 3 inputs; two small and one larger. What are the small ones for? One I believe is for an MP3 but it is not labelled. A cable with two small male plugs came with the uke.

The other I guess is to go out from the uke into something else but it is not labelled nor is there anyaccompanying explanation. If the maker wishes to be successful I recommend that he quickly explain the purpose of these inputs and that he label them.

In the meantime can anyone help?

Is one of the inputs for a mini plug from headphones or is the usual RCA input to connect to an amp what we should use for headphones?

The Teton tenor neck is wonderful and I am very happy with the design and weight. I bought the one with the offset hole. It has everything necessary for using a strap if desired.

Jim Hanks
08-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Pretty sure one is a headphone out and the other is stereo input such as from an MP3 player, computer line out, etc.

SparkyD
08-13-2013, 10:04 AM
There are 3 inputs; two small and one larger. What are the small ones for? One I believe is for an MP3 but it is not labelled. A cable with two small male plugs came with the uke. The other I guess is to go out from the uke into something else but it is not labelled nor is there any accompanying explanation. If the maker wishes to be successful I recommend that he quickly explain the purpose of these inputs and that he label them.

Hey Kimosabe,
I just got my wonderful Teton offset-hole tenor, too. I'm going to write a First Impressions report (A+!), but I'm hectic for a couple of days, so that will need to wait. But I had to jump in here to tell you: the small input closest to the large one is for your headphones, and the one furthest away is for mp3 input. I tried that setup out yesterday, with my iPad connected from its own headphone output to that input on the Teton, and my headphones plugged into the Teton. I hadn't thought I'd be interested in this feature, but I was experimenting with everything. However, I ended up having a ball, improvising badly with Earl Klugh.

I agree, it sure would have been nice to have a little documentation with the uke. Otherwise, the two holes are a mystery, and I didn't want to plug in the wrong thing and blow my new Teton up! One sheet with pictures would suffice. Maybe with some care instructions for the wood, too. And can I open up the back (non-battery) compartment without Something Terrible happening? Some kind of well-designed mini-guide would complete the otherwise-excellent package.

Oh, and something else you can do—with a Mac Pro desktop, anyway—is connect the Teton’s headphones output directly to your computer mic port (with the cable that came with the uke or a longer version) and play with effects and/or a backup band in GarageBand! Teton Guy said here that he did that but didn’t recommend it because of latency, but I had no latency at all. (Maybe it was because he was recording what he played, and I wasn’t.) You need to change a couple of settings in your Mac Preferences, but that's very simple. I have next to no experience with GB and had no trouble making this work.

P.S. Mim is #1!
P.P.S. My Teton is #1, too!

SparkyD
08-13-2013, 10:09 AM
It took me a little searching, but I think this was my first:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?66444-Weekly-Newbie-Challenge-2&p=970012#post970012

That's great, pootsie! And I love your fanbase, even though she appeared to have attended the wrong concert ("Mama?"). Okay, I'm seriously considering posting an audio sample (video is a future option), once I figure out how. Is there info somewhere on UU about how one does this? If I can learn how to use GarageBand or another DAW on my iPad to make the actual recording, I still don't know how to get that track to UU.

Tootler
08-13-2013, 11:32 AM
That's great, pootsie! And I love your fanbase, even though she appeared to have attended the wrong concert ("Mama?"). Okay, I'm seriously considering posting an audio sample (video is a future option), once I figure out how. Is there info somewhere on UU about how one does this? If I can learn how to use GarageBand or another DAW on my iPad to make the actual recording, I still don't know how to get that track to UU.

Edit your file on your PC and save it in a suitable format, mp3 is OK but go for a high bit rate so as not to lose too much quality; go for 256 or even 320 bit rate. It does mean larger files but that's the price you pay for good quality.

You then need to sign up with a music hosting site. I use Soundcloud. They're very good as they give you time rather than filesize so the free version gives you two hours of recordings which amounts to quite a lot of tracks. I have also heard good things about Bandcamp and I don't think they have a limit. You then upload your edited music file to the hosting site and post a link on UU.

A couple of suggestions. First of all, if you are going to use your iPad, you will find you will quickly run out of memory, so get yourself a SD card/usb interface so you can offload finished files to external storage, either to SD cards or to a USB hard drive. I got mine from Amazon. It's an Apple product but I paid a lot less for it than I would in my local Apple store and it works great.

Secondly while plugging the headphone out into iPad mic in will work, you will be much better off getting a USB interface. While the mic input socket works, they tend to be noisy so you may well find that noise (in the form of hiss) has been added to your recording. I believe you mentioned an iRig interface. Earlier. I looked it up and it seems to have had good reviews and will be well worth getting. It should add much less noise.

I'm sure you will enjoy your Teton. They look good both in appearance and quality. I have a solid electric Risa Uke and it is great fun. It adds a different dimension to uking especially once you start experimenting with effects. :cool:

BgmUke
08-13-2013, 09:49 PM
I hope "Mr. Teton" is seeing your pickguards, BgmUke. I love the offset one in wood tone. I already thought the ukes (well, my on-its-way one anyway) looked sexy, but this takes them to the next level!

I have no idea how to make a pickguard though. Although those thin self-adhesive acoustic ones are probably child's play to work with, I don't think it'll look right for the lp style one if it isn't the thick type...

@Pootsie

Nice, wish I could sing that well

pootsie
08-14-2013, 04:17 AM
Thanks, BGM

sonomajazz
08-14-2013, 05:56 AM
Ordering my Teton this morning...center or offset sound hole?? Any consensus?

Thx

pootsie
08-14-2013, 06:39 AM
Ordering my Teton this morning...center or offset sound hole?? Any consensus?

Thx

http://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/general-miata-chat-9/69789d1363017754-efr-xidas-media_preview-php-url%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252f0-media-cdn-foolz-us%252fffuuka%252fboard%252ftg%252fimage%252f1342% 252f9-jpg

1937Scott
08-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Mim Darling,

I LOVE the Eleuke you set up for me, and I'm going to hold out for a Soprano....

Keep me posted and let me know.

Scott

Kimosabe
08-14-2013, 09:39 AM
One added perk of the Teton is that you can hear it without headphones but it's not loud enough to bother anyone in another room. Louder than a Risa but quieter than an Archtop.

If you practice it in bed next to your wife she'll hear it. But if she's in another room, she won't.

BgmUke
08-14-2013, 10:07 AM
uh oh, no playing in bed for me... :(

SparkyD
08-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Edit your file on your PC and save it in a suitable format, mp3 is OK but go for a high bit rate so as not to lose too much quality; go for 256 or even 320 bit rate. It does mean larger files but that's the price you pay for good quality.

You then need to sign up with a music hosting site. I use Soundcloud. They're very good as they give you time rather than filesize so the free version gives you two hours of recordings which amounts to quite a lot of tracks. I have also heard good things about Bandcamp and I don't think they have a limit. You then upload your edited music file to the hosting site and post a link on UU.

A couple of suggestions. First of all, if you are going to use your iPad, you will find you will quickly run out of memory, so get yourself a SD card/usb interface so you can offload finished files to external storage, either to SD cards or to a USB hard drive. I got mine from Amazon. It's an Apple product but I paid a lot less for it than I would in my local Apple store and it works great.

Secondly while plugging the headphone out into iPad mic in will work, you will be much better off getting a USB interface. While the mic input socket works, they tend to be noisy so you may well find that noise (in the form of hiss) has been added to your recording. I believe you mentioned an iRig interface. Earlier. I looked it up and it seems to have had good reviews and will be well worth getting. It should add much less noise.

I'm sure you will enjoy your Teton. They look good both in appearance and quality. I have a solid electric Risa Uke and it is great fun. It adds a different dimension to uking especially once you start experimenting with effects. :cool:

Thanks very much for that how-to guide, Tootler. I'll follow your audio-file-posting instructions when I have a demo track in e-hand.

I'm a digital artist and also a newbie digital musician on my iPad (before I started playing a “real” instrument, my Kala acoustic, a couple of months ago), so I always make sure to transfer my creations to my Mac, so they're backed up as well as not clogging up my tablet's memory. I'm seriously considering something like a USB hard drive for additional back-up security, though.

The iPad doesn't actually have a mic-in port — in my earlier post, I was talking about plugging directly into my Mac, which worked without any noise that I could detect. For connecting to my iPad — which won’t accept direct input from an instrument, although you can output mp3 audio through the Teton as I described – I was planning the iRig HD purchase (which I've now done, and will be reporting on shortly). With the original version of this interface (iRig without the “HD”), you connected to the iPad’s headphone jack, but this did result in hiss and crosstalk. The HD model hitches to the 30-pin connector (or the Lightning connector if you have the newest iPad) and the signal is clean.

I’ve got a bunch of stuff to do first, but I’m working on a Teton review with a lot more detail. The short form of which is: buy one, buy it from Mim, and if you have an iOS device, buy an iRig HD, cancel all your appointments, quit your job, and just play.

Teton
08-15-2013, 12:28 PM
...Some kind of well-designed mini-guide would complete the otherwise-excellent package...
Yes, this will now happen soon-ish... I'll round up the team and get one of these put in each one from now on. When I finish it, I'll post a little link to a PDF for those that have already purchased one so no one misses out.

Oh, and something else you can do—with a Mac Pro desktop, anyway—is connect the Teton’s headphones output directly to your computer mic port (with the cable that came with the uke or a longer version) and play with effects and/or a backup band in GarageBand! Teton Guy said here that he did that but didn’t recommend it because of latency, but I had no latency at all. (Maybe it was because he was recording what he played, and I wasn’t.) You need to change a couple of settings in your Mac Preferences, but that's very simple. I have next to no experience with GB and had no trouble making this work.
Likely, you know what you're doing more so than I do. My main hesitation is that, from what I've heard, latency can be caused by slower computer components... I just didn't want someone with a 10 year old Frankensteined PC built in his nephew's basement to try it and come back and yell at me for promising something... it kind of all comes down to not making promises about things when some of the variables are outside of my control. </rambling>

SparkyD
08-15-2013, 02:17 PM
My main hesitation is that, from what I've heard, latency can be caused by slower computer components.
Gotcha. My Mac Pro is maxed out for speedy processing, so results may vary. I appreciate your being conservative in your promise-making.

And thanks in advance for the user manual pdf!

SparkyD
08-15-2013, 08:33 PM
My Teton tenor arrived Monday morning. I believe Mim uses a time machine, because I'm sure I'd only ordered it an hour earlier.

I’ve had to be away from home for much of the past few days, so I’ve only just had the chance to put down all my thoughts. And time spent writing is time spent not playing my Teton, which cannot be tolerated much longer.

This is one fine-looking instrument. Fit and finish are lovely. I’ve never seen another solid-body uke to compare it to, but it’s extremely well crafted. From the photos Mim graciously provided, I chose one with an assortment of contrasty laminates. I didn’t want anything subtle (although that choice is certainly available), and this fit the bill with its bold, wide stripes of different wood colors to complement the standard center stripes.

I have three quibbles with the construction:

1. Equina spotted the erroneous position marker at the 9th fret instead of the 10th, which will apparently be fixed in the next production run. I’m not skilled enough to spend much time that high on the neck, so it isn’t an issue for me yet, although I know it eventually will be. I’m wondering if a good luthier could somehow reposition it and plug the resulting hole, without the fix looking nasty.

2. The hole drilled in the wood body for the headphone output is the teensiest bit too narrow and deep. I had to try three sets of headphones before finding one (my crappiest pair, unfortunately) that would fit. The straight plastic housing (I don’t know the technical term; it’s the part you hold to push in the ⅛” stereo metal part) on the plug end of my JVC headphones was just wide enough that it wouldn’t fit in the wooden hole, and my Bose headphones’ right-angle housing fit, but the end section of the right-angle was too short to go all the way in. The good news is that, if you have something that fits, it’s snug and protected and you needn’t worry about it pulling out accidentally or snapping off.

3. As I had written in an early post in this thread, I loved the first sample photos that showed how the offset “soundhole” revealed a cross-section of the center wood sections. However, on mine, the darker middle one isn’t fully exposed, so instead of its being a uniform stripe of dark wood with light wood stripes on either side, it’s shaped more like a candle flame, with a pointed top and a bulbous base. In addition, there’s a little dark spot in the grain on another part of the inner edge of the soundhole that goes from front to back and is exposed as three dashes.

HOWEVER, considering the great price on these ukes, how delighted I am overall, and how I quickly I became attached to this particular one, I soon began to see these blemishes as beauty marks. I’m sure I have the only Teton with the Signature Flame and Morse Code “O” Soundhole!

But how does it sound, you ask? Well, like I said in an earlier post, I’ve only played ukulele for a few weeks, and my acoustic Kala is my first-ever stringed instrument. So I’m definitely not the best judge of the solid-body electric ukulele sound, nor can my very limited skills show what the Teton is capable of (I am counting on apps effects and pixie dust for that).

But I really like the way it sounds, for what that’s worth — played “clean,” it sounds like a high-end acoustic ukulele (and you can pot the brightness up and down with the on-board tone control), and with effects it sounds like the electric guitar I’ll never own . . . and now don’t need to! Oh, and like Mim says, there’s equal string volume, which I have read is an issue with many electrics. And she put on a Low G for free, which was icing on the cake of her impeccable setup.

Speaking of effects, I now FINALLY know for sure that the iRig HD works beautifully with the Teton. I walled myself up in a back room of the closest Guitar Center yesterday, and gave it a long and thorough test. In preparation, I had downloaded a few guitar amp-and-pedal emulation/modulation apps to my iPad, but spent most of my time with GarageBand. I really didn’t know what I was doing, but I sounded better than my wildest guitar dreams. And because life is short, I asked the salesman to add a Crybaby wah pedal to the signal chain (it attaches between the Teton and the iRig HD). I had never heard of a Crybaby until the night before (thanks, YouTube!) and was only vaguely aware of wah pedals, although I’d always loved the sound they made. Wow. I couldn’t leave without buying it.

I will now be eating crackers for the rest of the month, but who has time to eat anyway, when there’s a Teton to be rocked/jazzed/bluesed/R&B’d out on?

If you’ve been on the fence about buying one of these, you may now dismount. And don’t bother going anywhere but to Mim’s Ukes. This was my first time dealing with Mim, but after reading so many glowing reports from UU members, I had no hesitation. Hers is the caliber of service you always hope to get from a vendor (of any product) but seldom do. There may be others who are as good as Mim, but I can’t imagine anyone better.

‘Nuff said. Flaming MorseO Teton, here I come!

Tootler
08-16-2013, 12:37 AM
...But I really like the way it sounds, for what that’s worth — played “clean,” it sounds like a high-end acoustic ukulele (and you can pot the brightness up and down with the on-board tone control), and with effects it sounds like the electric guitar I’ll never own . . . and now don’t need to! Oh, and like Mim says, there’s equal string volume, which I have read is an issue with many electrics. And she put on a Low G for free, which was icing on the cake of her impeccable setup... I really didn’t know what I was doing, but I sounded better than my wildest guitar dreams. And because life is short, I asked the salesman to add a Crybaby wah pedal to the signal chain (it attaches between the Teton and the iRig HD). I had never heard of a Crybaby until the night before (thanks, YouTube!) and was only vaguely aware of wah pedals, although I’d always loved the sound they made. Wow. I couldn’t leave without buying it.

Sounds like you've discovered the delights of solid electric ukulele. I have a Risa and I have been having a pile of fun with it. I suggest you consider getting a multi effects pedal. I have a Vox Stomplab. It has a range of effects grouped by genre and you just dial up the style you want and the footswitches step you through a range of effects for that style. Makes it very easy to find a sound you want and as you said, it gives you the guitar you never had and now don't need. There are plenty of other multi effect pedals. Maybe its a matter of what your local guitar shop has in stock as you can try them out and see what you like but I have been really pleased with the Vox.

The Teton looks a beauty and if I didn't already have the Risa, I would be seriously considering it.

Here's to much enjoyment.

13down
08-16-2013, 07:59 AM
SparkyD, thanks for the solid review!!!

SparkyD
08-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Sounds like you've discovered the delights of solid electric ukulele. I have a Risa and I have been having a pile of fun with it. I suggest you consider getting a multi effects pedal.

Delights is right, Tootler! After my late-night post, I took up my Teton for a few more minutes . . . and didn't get to bed until after 2am.

The Risa looks like a great instrument, too. I was seriously considering buying one, but wanted more of a traditional design. But I eventually might consider developing a case of EUAS.

Do you own an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch? There are several amazing apps — free or inexpensive — that emulate just about every effects pedal and amp (and combinations of them) you can think of. You just need an iRigHD or similar interface to connect your electric uke and iOS device. (This might also be an option for Android, but I don’t know.)

Wah (or wah-wah) pedals are just one of the many virtual pedals in JamUp Pro XT, which is so far my favorite app to use as I didn’t need a manual to figure out the basics. (There’s a free version if you want to try it out.) However, the advantage of a physical pedal is hands-free control, which is vital with a wah, although not essential with an effect you don’t need to change during a song. And if you already have an iOS device, you can have a couple of dozen virtual pedals and amps for less than the cost of one real pedal.

I’m really into digital/virtual art and music creation, so that’s just my (current) personal preference. But physical instruments and accessories have their own special mojo, so no doubt my Teton will be visiting local guitar shops in the near future.

SparkyD
08-16-2013, 11:05 AM
SparkyD, thanks for the solid review!!!

Thanks, 13down! I got kinda wordy, but I hope it answers some of the many questions that I also had before I got all the gear that I'm now thoroughly enjoying. A few weeks ago, I knew absolutely nothing about acoustic or electric ukuleles or guitars, pickup technology, effects pedals, audio interfaces, etc., and everything I’ve learned is thanks to the internet (and UU!).

I’m not a techie, so I really want to assure my fellow non-rocket-scientists that what I’m doing is possible for just about anybody. If you love playing ukes and would like to have a different kind of fun with your existing skills (even newbie ones like mine), the tools are just a credit card away!

Lori
08-16-2013, 03:33 PM
I have had my Teton since Monday, and I am very happy with it so far. At first I was getting some pops, and a little birdlike squeal every so often, but Mim suggested removing the battery and then putting it back in. That helped, but what really fixed it was getting a new battery. That stock battery with the foreign writing on it seems to be a weak spot in the product (at least for me it was). So, get a new battery if you want to avoid any popping or drop outs.

stock battery57252new battery57251.

Anyway, hooked it up to my Fender Passport Mini, and it sounds great. I am using my iPad headphones, and they fit into the jack just fine (you just have to push it in really deep). I can't wait to use both amp and headphones when playing in a group. Some group situations make it a challenge to hear yourself.

Will report more later, as I get more experience with it.

By the way, the concert size worked great with low G tuning. Good sustain even with a non wound string.

ĖLori

teruterubouzu
08-16-2013, 05:27 PM
http://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/general-miata-chat-9/69789d1363017754-efr-xidas-media_preview-php-url%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252f0-media-cdn-foolz-us%252fffuuka%252fboard%252ftg%252fimage%252f1342% 252f9-jpg

Hilarious!

My Teton tenor arrived Monday morning. I believe Mim uses a time machine, because I'm sure I'd only ordered it an hour earlier.

Iíve had to be away from home for much of the past few days, so Iíve only just had the chance to put down all my thoughts. And time spent writing is time spent not playing my Teton, which cannot be tolerated much longer.

This is one fine-looking instrument. Fit and finish are lovely. Iíve never seen another solid-body uke to compare it to, but itís extremely well crafted. From the photos Mim graciously provided, I chose one with an assortment of contrasty laminates. I didnít want anything subtle (although that choice is certainly available), and this fit the bill with its bold, wide stripes of different wood colors to complement the standard center stripes.

I have three quibbles with the construction:

1. Equina spotted the erroneous position marker at the 9th fret instead of the 10th, which will apparently be fixed in the next production run. Iím not skilled enough to spend much time that high on the neck, so it isnít an issue for me yet, although I know it eventually will be. Iím wondering if a good luthier could somehow reposition it and plug the resulting hole, without the fix looking nasty.

2. The hole drilled in the wood body for the headphone output is the teensiest bit too narrow and deep. I had to try three sets of headphones before finding one (my crappiest pair, unfortunately) that would fit. The straight plastic housing (I donít know the technical term; itís the part you hold to push in the ⅛Ē stereo metal part) on the plug end of my JVC headphones was just wide enough that it wouldnít fit in the wooden hole, and my Bose headphonesí right-angle housing fit, but the end section of the right-angle was too short to go all the way in. The good news is that, if you have something that fits, itís snug and protected and you neednít worry about it pulling out accidentally or snapping off.

3. As I had written in an early post in this thread, I loved the first sample photos that showed how the offset ďsoundholeĒ revealed a cross-section of the center wood sections. However, on mine, the darker middle one isnít fully exposed, so instead of its being a uniform stripe of dark wood with light wood stripes on either side, itís shaped more like a candle flame, with a pointed top and a bulbous base. In addition, thereís a little dark spot in the grain on another part of the inner edge of the soundhole that goes from front to back and is exposed as three dashes.

HOWEVER, considering the great price on these ukes, how delighted I am overall, and how I quickly I became attached to this particular one, I soon began to see these blemishes as beauty marks. Iím sure I have the only Teton with the Signature Flame and Morse Code ďOĒ Soundhole!

But how does it sound, you ask? Well, like I said in an earlier post, Iíve only played ukulele for a few weeks, and my acoustic Kala is my first-ever stringed instrument. So Iím definitely not the best judge of the solid-body electric ukulele sound, nor can my very limited skills show what the Teton is capable of (I am counting on apps effects and pixie dust for that).

But I really like the way it sounds, for what thatís worth ó played ďclean,Ē it sounds like a high-end acoustic ukulele (and you can pot the brightness up and down with the on-board tone control), and with effects it sounds like the electric guitar Iíll never own . . . and now donít need to! Oh, and like Mim says, thereís equal string volume, which I have read is an issue with many electrics. And she put on a Low G for free, which was icing on the cake of her impeccable setup.

Speaking of effects, I now FINALLY know for sure that the iRig HD works beautifully with the Teton. I walled myself up in a back room of the closest Guitar Center yesterday, and gave it a long and thorough test. In preparation, I had downloaded a few guitar amp-and-pedal emulation/modulation apps to my iPad, but spent most of my time with GarageBand. I really didnít know what I was doing, but I sounded better than my wildest guitar dreams. And because life is short, I asked the salesman to add a Crybaby wah pedal to the signal chain (it attaches between the Teton and the iRig HD). I had never heard of a Crybaby until the night before (thanks, YouTube!) and was only vaguely aware of wah pedals, although Iíd always loved the sound they made. Wow. I couldnít leave without buying it.

I will now be eating crackers for the rest of the month, but who has time to eat anyway, when thereís a Teton to be rocked/jazzed/bluesed/R&Bíd out on?

If youíve been on the fence about buying one of these, you may now dismount. And donít bother going anywhere but to Mimís Ukes. This was my first time dealing with Mim, but after reading so many glowing reports from UU members, I had no hesitation. Hers is the caliber of service you always hope to get from a vendor (of any product) but seldom do. There may be others who are as good as Mim, but I canít imagine anyone better.

ĎNuff said. Flaming MorseO Teton, here I come!
Thank you for this detailed review. Now I want one even more than ever, gosh darn it.

SparkyD
08-16-2013, 06:16 PM
That stock battery with the foreign writing on it seems to be a weak spot in the product (at least for me it was). So, get a new battery if you want to avoid any popping or drop outs. . . . I am using my iPad headphones, and they fit into the jack just fine (you just have to push it in really deep). I can't wait to use both amp and headphones when playing in a group. Some group situations make it a challenge to hear yourself.

Good tip! I replaced the stock battery almost immediately because I thought it was dead. Turns out the reason I was getting no volume was that my headphones (ones I never use because they're my worst pair) had their own volume dial that I'd forgotten about, and which was turned down. I almost put the Chinese-made battery back in because my battery tester showed it had a full charge, but I had a feeling that I shouldn't. Now I'm glad I listened to that hunch! (Teton might want to replace all their batteries once their ukes are stateside, to avoid unnecessary customer returns.)

Do your iPad headphones have straight plugs? I just tried the Panasonic earbuds I use with my iPad and they’d fit if they weren’t the right-angle type, which pops out once you push it in as far as it goes. If you have a plug that’s narrow enough to fit in the wooden hole, you have to push it in a lot deeper than you might think is wise, but I don't think you can damage anything.

I didn't realize you can play through an amp and headphones at the same time. I assumed one would cancel the other out. But that would be a handy feature, especially if you can control the volume of your headphones so you can still hear the other musicians loudly enough. Of course, if you’re using earbuds/pods, you could just wear one side. Please do report more later.

What brand/model of headphones are you using, Lori? I think I’d better order me some!

Lori
08-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Do your iPad headphones have straight plugs? I just tried the Panasonic earbuds I use with my iPad and they’d fit if they weren’t the right-angle type, which pops out once you push it in as far as it goes. If you have a plug that’s narrow enough to fit in the wooden hole, you have to push it in a lot deeper than you might think is wise, but I don't think you can damage anything.

I didn't realize you can play through an amp and headphones at the same time. I assumed one would cancel the other out. But that would be a handy feature, especially if you can control the volume of your headphones so you can still hear the other musicians loudly enough. Of course, if you’re using earbuds/pods, you could just wear one side. Please do report more later.

What brand/model of headphones are you using, Lori? I think I’d better order me some!

I am using the Apple ones ($29 USD) http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD827LL/A/apple-earpods-with-remote-and-mic?fnode=3d
This is what they look like plugged in, and here is what the plug end looks like.5725857259
So, I am plugged in at the Uke for the headphones, and then can still send a signal out to the amp using the 1/4 amp jack. There is a volume control on the Teton, and another on the Amp. By the way, if you need a strap, my Uke Leash Guitar Style Strap with Amp keyhole fits perfectly.

–Lori

By the way, unplug headphones/ cables to prevent draining the battery. There is no power switch, so unplugging everything is like turning it off.

SparkyD
08-16-2013, 08:08 PM
I am using the Apple ones ($29 USD) . . . So, I am plugged in at the Uke for the headphones, and then can still send a signal out to the amp using the 1/4 amp jack. There is a volume control on the Teton, and another on the Amp. By the way, if you need a strap, my Uke Leash Guitar Style Strap with Amp keyhole fits perfectly. . . . By the way, unplug headphones/ cables to prevent draining the battery. There is no power switch, so unplugging everything is like turning it off.

Thanks, Lori! I'm going to order those earpods. Apple says that “not all [iPad] models support volume up/down functions,” so I’m hoping that the now-invisible 3rd gen iPad (owners of this model will know what I’m talking about . . . aarrrgh) will do so.

Your Uke Leashes look very cool and clever. (One of the things I really like about your regular non-button Uke Leash, as opposed to the covered-hook type I’m using on my acoustic, is that if for some reason I let go of my uke, it wouldn’t plummet earthward.) I’m happy right now with the straps I currently have on my Teton and Kala, but as I will no doubt again fall victim to UAS, I have bookmarked your site.

Funny, I recently gave that same battery-drain-prevention tip on another thread. I’d read it somewhere about a different electric uke. It’s definitely worth repeating!

I really appreciate your taking those photos for me. Too bad I couldn’t see more of your Teton, too!

SparkyD
08-16-2013, 08:37 PM
And that battery-saving tip should definitely be one of the items that Teton includes in their upcoming user guide. If I were them, I'd consult with current owners to find out the kinds of things we wish we'd been able to read about when we got our ukes. None of the "do not play ukulele when driving over 65 mph" stuff — just the truly helpful facts, ma'am.

Mim
08-17-2013, 03:45 AM
And that battery-saving tip should definitely be one of the items that Teton includes in their upcoming user guide. If I were them, I'd consult with current owners to find out the kinds of things we wish we'd been able to read about when we got our ukes. None of the "do not play ukulele when driving over 65 mph" stuff — just the truly helpful facts, ma'am.

I will see if I can compile something for at least the ones I send out. Because yes, unplug everything when not in use of your battery will drain and it is usually the most commonly not realized thing with these.

UkeKiddinMe
08-17-2013, 04:16 AM
This is also a good lesson to just - throw out the battery that ships. I don't know where those batteries come from, but I have seen
near instant battery fails from supposedly new batteries in a box many times. Just chuck it and put a good, new duracell in there.

I had this happen with my Riptide, which comes with a watch a battery. It was absolutely, positively new from the factory,
and it came dead. I was worried that it was a wiring issue because I couldn't believe the battery was completely dead.
When I changed it out, all was well.

Hms
08-17-2013, 07:23 AM
For Mim,
Normally products provided with batteries have the following wording in the paperwork...
"The battery included with this product is for test purposes only so its life span may be shorter than usual."
Which basicallly suggests to replace it!
H

SparkyD
08-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Thank you for this detailed review. Now I want one even more than ever, gosh darn it.

Thanks and apologies. I feared that my words might ignite smoldering desires in others. There is only one way to quench those flames, teruterubouzu. Well, actually twenty-four of them, the last time I counted the Tetons at Mim's Ukes.

BgmUke
08-18-2013, 09:51 PM
It's HERE!!!

But I've got a lecture, dammit....
Expect photos and a review in the next 12 hours!

BgmUke
08-19-2013, 10:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcdgYfWuSkE

I sound weird and monotonous, but don't let my boring tone fool you. I'm loving the uke.

This is the first instrument of mine to have undergone a professional setup (I'm a cheapskate), and it feels incredibly comfortable to fret, I should be able to fix my deathgrip habits with this uke. My other uke dishes out the pain when barring the 1st fret, this uke just gives up the goods with no struggle :)

Mim fanbase +1!

The uke feels sturdy, neck is nice and stocky (in a good way), feels great in the hand.
The wood is beautiful, chromed tuners are pretty too. I wipe prints off them after tuning. *cough-OCD-cough*
The fretboard looks very tight-grained, unlike my cheap uke. Shiny too, wonder if Mim oiled and polished it up?
The centre hole just makes the playing experience very familiar.

Surprisingly, the headphone jack fits my Shure 425's, which have huge ummWhatAreThoseCalled-Thingys, you know what I mean.
Even volume output across the strings, C string dominates slightly as it's thickest.
The uke sounds alright through my bass amp, but I'm thinking of getting a modelling amp to mess around with some effects. I get what others on the forum meant when they said that the Eleuke and other solid body nylon electrics don't sound exactly like ukes when amplified.

Issues:
-People keep wanting to touch my new uke. No touching till I ding it once and get over the ensuing grief.
-After rewiring from guitar 9th inlay to 10th, I'm going to have to rewire again -.-
-High G, wanted a low g; not sure if I requested it properly but I'm fine either way.
-Guitar strap subtracts from the aesthetics of the uke, might get a thin leather one.
-Recording via the headphone jack gives terrible noise, can't even hear what is being played, which is weird because battery is fresh and earphones work fine through the jack. Any help?

PTOEguy
08-24-2013, 05:25 AM
I'm about 90% sure I'm going to order a teton in the next week - but am waffling because I have no idea about what to get for an amp. Any thoughts?

Jim Hanks
08-24-2013, 05:36 AM
If you have an iPhone or iPad I'd say skip the amp and get an interface ($100). If you want a starter amp I'd recommend a Roland MicroCube.

iDavid
08-24-2013, 05:41 AM
MicroCube is the way to go.

SparkyD
08-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the great review, BgmUke! You filled in a lot of the blanks I left in my own review. I’m sure the video demo (with its soaring angel choir as your camera swept across all the glorious surfaces and curves) will be helpful to anyone who’s contemplating buying a Teton electric uke.

My Teton also looks way better in the flesh/wood than a photo could capture, although it looked pretty darned good in Mim’s pix.

Speaking of Mim, she put on the low G for me — I recommend it.

I loved your comment on your “death grip.” That’s a great way to develop tendinitis in your hand and wrist, so the buzz-free low action (I don’t know how much of that was Mim and how much was the manufacturer) makes a stranglehold unnecessary. You might want to look into getting your Suzuki set up by a pro. A little improvement goes a long way.

I was surprised that your right-angle, thick-thingied (you know what I mean) headphone jack fit so well into the countersunk hole drilled in the wood of your uke. As you know, I had issues with that. And mine doesn’t click like yours does, although it’s plenty secure and there’s a good audio connection. The depth of both holes (just the wood part) is roughly three-eighths of an inch. I think that’s a little over a centimeter, but I’m American and therefore metrically dumb. How deep is yours countersunk?

I feel your pain about not wanting to pass your Teton around until you’ve had it longer. I’ve avoided a couple of jam invitations for that reason. I know that anyone who loves instruments will want to get their greasy, butterfingered paws on it.

I thought that your comment on “rewiring” the fret inlay was referring to your physically moving the fret marker, which got my brain fizzing until I realized you were talking about your own brain and rewiring it! The problem with that is that you’ll have to have two sets of wiring schematics for your brain — one for your Teton and the other for all other ukes. So I’m wondering if (as I mentioned in my own review) a good luthier could cleanly reposition the marker, or if there’s something those of us with single brain-wiring could do to mark our fretboards on the ninth, without it looking bad.

When you talk about noise issues when recording with your headphone jack, what are you recording into? Why are you using the ⅛” headphone jack, rather than the ľ”? As Teton Guy (I don’t know the rep/demonstrator’s name) said in response to OldePhart’s question, the ⅛” is convenience stereo, not true stereo, so there’s no audio advantage in recording with that. In Teton Guy’s video demo, he’s recording (into GarageBand?) using the headphone jack, but the entire video is hissy, including his voice, so I don’t know if he’s encountering what you’re dealing with, or what’s going on. And he does say that this is not a setup he recommends.

I just did a test of a couple of recording options in GarageBand, and here are my results. You didn’t mention if you were using an iPad, so I’m going to assume that you were recording into your PC or Mac. If you’re doing it with dedicated equipment, this information may still apply. I have a Mac, but what I did is probably similar to a PC.

Initially, I plugged my Teton from the headphone jack directly into the mic jack at the back of my Mac Pro tower. I believe that Teton Guy did a similar direct connection in his video. At first, I thought it sounded fine (and in fact, I had done this several days ago and said so in an earlier, more ignorant post). However, I soon realized that I was getting an intermittent hiss. I couldn’t deliberately replicate it, but it was there. Not there. There again. Aaarrrgh.

I then introduced my iRig HD audio interface into the mix. There are other such interfaces (Jim Hanks likes his Apogee Jam, for instance), but this is all I've used and so far it’s been a gem for me.

I used the Teton’s ľ” jack and connected the guitar cable to one end of the iRig HD. To the other end of the iRig HD, I connected the USB cable that came with it, and plugged that into a USB port on my Mac. Et voila! No hiss. Clean signal. Terrible recording.

What?!?! Oh, I forgot to mention that I’m a total newbie and my ukulele playing is not fit for polite society. So the recording quality is great, my artistic essence not so much. In the test I did, there were a couple of nanoseconds there when I sounded amazing, but the rest is embarrassing. But NO HISS or any other noise. Except my playing, which some (many) may consider noise.

So it may well be that what you need is an interface. If you buy an IK Multimedia one, make absolutely sure it’s the iRig HD, not the original iRig (without the HD), which had noise issues the HD doesn’t.

P.S. There’s so much that I’m learning about electric ukuleles, and even more (way more!) that I don’t yet know. I wish there was a separate electric uke forum here at UU, so those of us of the powered persuasion could share our knowledge and trials and errors and discoveries.
P.P.S. Love your cat! Clearly a ukulele hipster.

SparkyD
08-24-2013, 03:09 PM
If you have an iPhone or iPad I'd say skip the amp and get an interface ($100). If you want a starter amp I'd recommend a Roland MicroCube.

Hey! That's what I was going to say. (When I was plagued by doubt, Jim repeatedly reassured this nervous nellie that an interface would work with the Teton, and he was right.)

Even if you don't have an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch, the interface (mine is an iRig HD — I should be getting a commission for how much I'm promoting it) is golden, and will eliminate noise issues if you connect to a PC, Mac, or mobile device, with all the amazing effects (and recording capability, and jamming with a backup band) they provide.

I don't own a Roland MicroCube, but I've seen it recommended so many places by so many people, that it's on my Christmas list.

If you buy both the interface and the Roland, you'll be in hog heaven. If you just buy the interface, you will only be able to hear yourself through headphones, but that will be heavenly, too.

BgmUke
08-24-2013, 08:33 PM
You didn’t mention if you were using an iPad, so I’m going to assume that you were recording into your PC or Mac. If you’re doing it with dedicated equipment, this information may still apply. I have a Mac, but what I did is probably similar to a PC.

Hey sparky, I was recording directly from my headphone output into my PC's mic port. It still buzzes alot and even more so when I touch the screws on the backplate.

Borrowed a cheap guitar to usb interface and tried recording through the 1/4 jack and everything sounded ok, slight passive noise but easily removed with audacity.
Unresolved issue with the headphone jack but since it works fine for headphones, I don't really mind.

I am jealous of mac users because of the iRig

SparkyD
08-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Hey sparky, I was recording directly from my headphone output into my PC's mic port. It still buzzes alot and even more so when I touch the screws on the backplate.

Borrowed a cheap guitar to usb interface and tried recording through the 1/4 jack and everything sounded ok, slight passive noise but easily removed with audacity.
Unresolved issue with the headphone jack but since it works fine for headphones, I don't really mind.

I am jealous of mac users because of the iRig

I'd be curious to hear from other Teton ukers, or from Teton Guy himself, whether there's an answer to that jack noise. If they'd just said it was for headphones only, no problem, but it's supposedly for clean stereo output for other purposes, so maybe you and I are doing something wrong.

Before I bought my Teton, I read every review and article and watched every video I could find on electric ukuleles. Somewhere in my Sherlockian travels, I'm sure I read something about grounding issues with some other brand. Your mentioning the backplate screws triggered that memory, and when I was testing the direct connection myself, I was also having variations in the buzz/hiss, but I couldn't figure out what I was doing or not doing to make it change. Maybe something I was touching, even if unintentionally, was somehow interfering with the electrical circuitry.

Doesn't anybody make a good guitar-to-PC USB interface? (Usually it's Mac users who don't have access to all the cool toys.) There seem to be a lot of cheap ones for various platforms, but bad user reviews. You get what you pay for with these . . . most of the time, anyway.

Tootler
08-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Doesn't anybody make a good guitar-to-PC USB interface? (Usually it's Mac users who don't have access to all the cool toys.) There seem to be a lot of cheap ones for various platforms, but bad user reviews. You get what you pay for with these . . . most of the time, anyway.

Google audio interface usb and you will get plenty of hits at prices ranging from a few tens of dollars to many hundreds. All but the cheapest will have 1/4" sockets for instrument input and most also have XLR or XLR/jack combi sockets for mics as well. All those I've seen say they are for Windows/Mac. USB is a standard interface, after all.

Actually Macs are well catered for with cool toys. It's Linux users who usually miss out. Everything just says Windows/Mac but so far all the USB devices I've bought have worked just fine with my Linux PC.

SparkyD
08-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Macs are well catered for with cool toys. It's Linux users who usually miss out. Everything just says Windows/Mac but so far all the USB devices I've bought have worked just fine with my Linux PC.

Yeah, I'm thinking back to the bad old days. I've used Macs since the early 90s, and for years I'd see software and hardware that I'd love to have, but it was PC-only. Things have improved immensely, but I still encounter Mac-unfriendly products.

I'm counting my blessings, though. It appears that Linux is the new Mac in this regard.

SparkyD
08-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Guitar strap subtracts from the aesthetics of the uke, might get a thin leather one.

Hey, BgmUke ó have you looked at member Lori's UkeLeash Guitar-Style Strap (http://www.ukeleash.com/mini_Guitar_Style_Strap.html)? All I know is what I see in the photos, but her thin leather one might look pretty sweet on a Teton.

Garydavkra
08-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Wow, earlier this year I was looking at electric ukes and figured if I were to get one it would be a RISA. In the end I just decided to capo my electric guitar instead. Now I see this thread that Mim started and I'm starting to think about it again. I like both of the Tetons so, at this point I don't know which one I would go with. I do have a question though. Since I live in Wyoming, where the Tetons are located, is there a special discount? :D

Teton
08-26-2013, 02:19 PM
I will look into the random hissing thing that's introduced with direct to computer setups (which I don't recommend for a number of reasons and this may just become one of them)... my guess (which I'll fact check and get back to you) is that you've got the power source of the computer and the 9 volt of the Teton arguing with each other. The "headphone" jack is intended to power headphones, so it actually sends power to the headphones... this may be why the hiss is happening with the direct to computer without an interface set up (which I do not recommend).

Something that no one has mentioned (unless I missed it) are the mixers with the USB output options. I won't mention specific brands, but these mixers are ALSO a great option and are geared to take XLR, 1/4 inch, RCA and headphone jack inputs in multiple channels and convert them to digital signals. This is essentially what all of the other interfaces mentioned do as well, but the mixer adds the ability to mix in other instruments or a mic or two. Either way, your computer then takes the digital signal (which computers like a lot more than analog signals... they're bigoted that way) and everything from there seems copacetic.

And just think how cool it would be to have one channel of your singing and one channel of your uke to play with digitally, but you recorded them at the same time... what fun!

I really would recommend an interface of some kind when recording to a computer (for anything, not just Teton Ukes) because the analog/digital conversion and the possible power issues.

Wow, earlier this year I was looking at electric ukes and figured if I were to get one it would be a RISA. In the end I just decided to capo my electric guitar instead. Now I see this thread that Mim started and I'm starting to think about it again. I like both of the Tetons so, at this point I don't know which one I would go with. I do have a question though. Since I live in Wyoming, where the Tetons are located, is there a special discount? :D
Hey! A local dude. We're located in Idaho Falls, Idaho. We don't sell direct to the end consumer because our Teton dealers are so awesome.

Mim
08-26-2013, 02:26 PM

Haha! No, BUT... the shipping is free if you use the coupon code Teton at checkout until 9/9 (and yes, I feel special that I set up a coupon code on my website... it is my first one and I feel all sorts of high tech and big time when I can say 'use the coupon code'... haha... I am easily entertained)

mythidiot
08-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Something that no one has mentioned (unless I missed it) are the mixers with the USB output options. I won't mention specific brands, but these mixers are ALSO a great option and are geared to take XLR, 1/4 inch, RCA and headphone jack inputs in multiple channels and convert them to digital signals. This is essentially what all of the other interfaces mentioned do as well, but the mixer adds the ability to mix in other instruments or a mic or two...
Can I jump in with a warning? If you even have the slightest inclination that you may get a mixer someday, get one with the USB output.

I am/will-someday do a podcast and bought a mixer without USB (not intentionally) and thought I could just go straight out of the mixer into the computer. Well, for reasons I don't understand because I don't have a masters degree in electrical engineering, it doesn't work. The guys at my local music store tried to explain why and basically I understood that going straight into the mic input of a computer is bad news bears for pretty much everything except skype style stuff where the sound quality doesn't matter. They had a lot of reasons that I didn't understand.

Long story short (too late), I ended up buying a USB audio interface to go from my mixer to my computer and it sounds fantastic. I wish that I had just purchased a mixer with a USB output in the first place, because I could've saved myself like $30-50. A quick amazon search will bring up lots of well reviewed mixers (http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393193&linkCode=shr&tag=corker-20&eywords=mixer+usb&qid=1377559820&rh=n%3A11091801%2Cn%3A11973111%2Cn%3A11974821%2Cn% 3A11974861%2Ck%3Amixer+usb&sort=reviewrank_authority) like these guys. I prefer Yamaha and Mackie over the Behringer (which can be hit or miss), but I'm not an expert.

For an example, you can plug your mic into channel 1 and your uke into channel 2. Crank channel 1 all the way to the left and channel 2 all the way to the right. Then you can isolate the channels in the computer later and it makes recording and editing a lot easier. Besides, both the instrument and mic are single channel anyway, so "mixing" them this way just keeps everything cleaner.

Has anyone else used USB mixers instead of just an audio interface? I don't want to act like an authority on this since I'm kind of the blind squirrel who found a nut with this kind of stuff.

Garydavkra
08-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Yes, I think I'm the only ukulele player in Wyoming and you do have some awesome dealers. Thanks!

.[/QUOTE]Hey! A local dude. We're located in Idaho Falls, Idaho. We don't sell direct to the end consumer because our Teton dealers are so awesome.[/QUOTE]

Garydavkra
08-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Haha! No, BUT... the shipping is free if you use the coupon code Teton at checkout until 9/9 (and yes, I feel special that I set up a coupon code on my website... it is my first one and I feel all sorts of high tech and big time when I can say 'use the coupon code'... haha... I am easily entertained)

Great! Unfortunately, I'll have to wait a while. At the beginning of July I commissioned a custom ukulele so now I'll just have to wait. Oh well I just might have to buy myself a Chrsitmas present and if not then, my birthday is in January. It's on the list!:D

SparkyD
09-02-2013, 08:11 PM
There are so many solid-body and semi-hollow electric ukuleles being made these days, I was surprised to find that there's no forum here at UU devoted to the subculture. A lot of threads address specific brands, like Tetons, and Epiphones, and Eleukes (and there are many, many more, as I've been discovering), but it would sure be nice to have a central location for the growing wealth of information. I know it would help prevent a lot of us current and future EUASers from making some very unfortunate purchases!

iamesperambient
10-19-2013, 09:30 AM
There are so many solid-body and semi-hollow electric ukuleles being made these days, I was surprised to find that there's no forum here at UU devoted to the subculture. A lot of threads address specific brands, like Tetons, and Epiphones, and Eleukes (and there are many, many more, as I've been discovering), but it would sure be nice to have a central location for the growing wealth of information. I know it would help prevent a lot of us current and future EUASers from making some very unfortunate purchases!

I wish they were full solid body i dont see any reason for a sound hole that doesn't serve a purpose its useless
and kind of looks silly but im sure they sound good, its good there is still this option out there.

SparkyD
10-19-2013, 10:41 AM
I wish they were full solid body i dont see any reason for a sound hole that doesn't serve a purpose its useless
and kind of looks silly but im sure they sound good, its good there is still this option out there.
Yeah, it's a matter of taste. I could go either way. If you'd rather not have the hole at all, there are other solid-body electric uke options. One of the more (but not the most) expensive is the Pono TE. Check it out here (http://theukulelereview.com/new-pono-ce-solid-body-tenor-review-comparison/).

Hmmmmn . . . the Pono was supposed to be released this month, but I can't find any recent info on it. Has anybody here heard anything about it?

hent
10-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks for all the comments and reviews. Hmmm... Still debating between Teton and Risa on which one to get. Maybe both? LOL!:)

Hms
11-22-2013, 06:44 AM
Regarding the comments for connectiong to a computer.
This is what I use to connect my uke, piezo pickup undersadddle pick up to an ipad for use in Garage Band.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/ipad/guitarconnect-cable

£30 in the uk so expect US$30?
Not sure if this will work with a normal PC soundcard, but works brilliantly with ipad and Garage Band.
No connection to Griffin, just satisfied user.
h

Julieuke
11-23-2013, 03:29 AM
I'm also looking at the Pono electric uke. It is a little more pricey but it really is nice. I'm having a problem trying to get more info on both of them because they aren't the usual uke. I've only heard good things about the Teton company and am hoping they conquered the issues they had before because it's just more affordable.

Julieuke
11-23-2013, 08:00 PM
So... The Eleuke had design and quality issues. How is the New Teton doing so far.? Have you had any feed back about them? I've been comparing them to others. The others are a little out of my price range. I've heard good things about the Teton company. Mainly that they make quality beautiful sounding guitars for a low cost.
I'd love to know how well the new electric uke is being received and do you think it is a good sounding.
Thanks, julie

Julieuke
11-24-2013, 03:16 AM
As you can tell I've been on a uke mission. Strings? What kind?

ukespain
01-03-2014, 01:25 AM
Hello there and happy 2014.
Just got my Teton from Mim last monday.
Great service from her. She really takes good care of her customers. Thanks Mim.

It feels really nice (and solid!) to hold. Better with a strap.
Superb finish (e.g. the tuners are much precise than my Pono concert)
Fantastic for night playing or for shy players that dont wish to be heard!
The Roland Microcube GX is the perfect gadget to go with it....you can get an almost infinite variety of sounds.
It is really fun.

kissing
01-03-2014, 02:30 AM
The Roland Microcube GX is the perfect gadget to go with it....you can get an almost infinite variety of sounds.
It is really fun.

I can vouch for the Microcube GX being an amazing 3W amp.
I tried it in store and compared it side to side with a VOX Mini 3 (generation 2), and it completely outclasses it in the sound quality and volume, especially in clarity and bass response. I am quite a VOX follower, but in this case, the Roland won.