PDA

View Full Version : Next Best Chord Progression Other than C List of Songs

Trout
07-19-2013, 07:11 PM
So, I'm going through the boards and I found this thread: that listed the C chord Progression C G Am F songs. It's amazingly a great resource for beginners - especially to motivate them. This is a two part question. What is the next best/most popular chord for songs and is there a list that I haven't found like the above mentioned thread for said songs. Note: The thread is listed in the tabs section and is like 20 pages long. Thanks to all the pro's that help "pledges" like me on the forum get in the know-of-things.

PhilUSAFRet
07-20-2013, 02:10 AM
If you like blues, try A7, D7, E7 = Johnny Be Good and others

OldePhart
07-20-2013, 06:05 AM
Learn the D and Em (neither of them are hard in spite of all the scary talk) and you can now play just about everything ever written in G.

John

vanflynn
07-20-2013, 06:25 AM
Howlin Hobbit has a great site on chord progressions http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1125378/ukulele%20docs/uke_chord_progressions.pdf

It shows different styles with different keys. Enjoy

malweth
07-20-2013, 06:50 AM
Howlin Hobbit has a great site on chord progressions http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1125378/ukulele%20docs/uke_chord_progressions.pdf

Wow, awesome! That's exactly the right amount of info without going into too much theory (not that I don't want to learn the theory, but it's easier if you learn the how, then the why).

Shastastan
07-20-2013, 07:54 AM

Wow! Many thanks vanflynn. Perfect and Excellente!!!!!!!

vanflynn
07-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Don't thank me, thank the Howlin Hobbit for having such a great website!

Pundabaya
07-20-2013, 08:26 AM
I like Am, G, F, E7.

malweth
07-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Going by how it sounds, is the I, VI7, II7, V7 progression where Hawaiian music is based (in general, of course)?

Tootler
07-20-2013, 11:58 AM
If you are looking at I, IV, V7, vi songs, then after C, F, G7, Am, the next most common progression is probably G, C, D7, Em. I've recently bought a book of songs with those chords in for my uke group as many of them started as beginners and are needing to move on so going from C to G is a logical move. As Old Phart says, to play in G only requires learning two new chords, neither of which are particularly difficult (three if you've just been using G7 up to now).

A lot of R n R songs are in E, (E, A, B7) though I tend to find that a bit high for my voice and usually drop them to D (D, G, A7).

Trout
07-21-2013, 02:10 AM
By the looks of the responses, there does not seem to be any consensus on the next main chord/chord progression to learn. Is my guess-timation wrong?

I had run across Howling Hobbit's handout by accident already, which btw is excellent,but nothing lists the next most important chord progression to learn... Secondly, then, to find out if an in-depth compilation of songs in that particular chord progression has been done, like the other chord progression.

My hope is, not just for me, but that this would help translate into an increased confidence, fun, and ultimately better learning curve. I find this website and forum instrumental. Sincerely, thanks again for the knowledgable responses for which I am only consider blessed to have received, as I've done nothing to contribute to the groups knowledge or experience base.

malweth
07-21-2013, 03:15 AM
By the looks of the responses, there does not seem to be any consensus on the next main chord/chord progression to learn. Is my guess-timation wrong?

I had run across Howling Hobbit's handout by accident already, which btw is excellent,but nothing lists the next most important chord progression to learn... Secondly, then, to find out if an in-depth compilation of songs in that particular chord progression has been done, like the other chord progression.

The Howling Hobbit pages had song types (and short listings of songs for some progressions). The "most important" progression probably depends on what type of music is most important to you... (unless you're coming from a music theory perspective - in which case I don't have any idea).

Lists of songs that use progressions is probably as easy as going to the genre the Howling Hobbit pages mention... you could just look in a fake book, though!

Shastastan
07-21-2013, 06:58 AM
.......snip........... as I've done nothing to contribute to the groups knowledge or experience base.

Actually, you have contributed by asking this question and starting a dialogue. Had you not asked the question, I would have not known of Howlin Hobbit's chord progression info--which I really appreciate. Also, I had never thought about chord progressions in terms of relative importance. I only thought of them in relation to types of music such as the 12 bar blues, etc.. I had thought of them in terms of which are the most common though. So, thanks for your question.