Strumming

cauke84

Reaction score
Ive been playing the ukulele for about a year now, and ive learned quite a lot. i notice most of the videos i watch players, like aldrine strum down with thier pointer finger.. since i started playing ive always used my thumb. It still sounds just as good, i was just wondering if i would run into problems later down the line of more difficult songs. should i switch over and learn with my pointer?:nana:

That shouldn't be a problem, do whatever is most comfortable.

There's no rules just use whatever you're comfortable with. I have a friend that uses his ring finger to strum so it looks like hes doin "the shocker" while he plays. :rock:

It doesn't really matter, as long as it feels comfortable. I've never used my pointer for strumming. I keep all of my fingertips pointed at the strings when I strum. Idk why, but i just can't strum with my hand open

Strum however your hand wants to strum:D

I dont know exactly how to explain how I stum, but I suppose the best way to explain it is this;
I use any one of my fingers (minus thumb) at once (think of using all fingers) to use my strum. When doing a roll, Id intentionally use my pinky.
hard to imagine, I know, but thats pretty much the best way to explain it after being a bit wet.

I Strum Down with My thumb, And up with my finger. I only use my pointer if i want a 'Sharper' sound

Ive been playing the ukulele for about a year now, and ive learned quite a lot. i notice most of the videos i watch players, like aldrine strum down with thier pointer finger.. since i started playing ive always used my thumb. It still sounds just as good, i was just wondering if i would run into problems later down the line of more difficult songs. should i switch over and learn with my pointer?:nana:

I agree with the others that you can use any strumming method you like, the uke is about improvisation. However there is a generally accepted method for strumming the uke which is the one Aldrine discusses in one of his earliest Iamhawaii.com lessons. The best way of describing it is like this: stretch out your right arm as if you were going to open a door, drop the index finger on your hand so it's roughly 90 degrees to your arm. From there you get the strumming motion by rotating arm around its cental axis.

The uke only has 4 strings normally, but even with more the area you need to strum is very small, it's not like a guitar where you have to do massive axe weilding strums.

As everyone else said though you can do it any way you want. It drives me mad when Julia Nunes plays the uke like it's a small guitar but she seems to do well from it.

I can't do the index finger strum worth a damn usually, although I use it some on the uklectic because I like the plugged-in sound with it. I'm going do the unthinkable and experiment with picks as well. The uke police come and get me.

With acoustic the best I can manage is thumb down, finger up.

I agree with the others that you can use any strumming method you like, the uke is about improvisation. However there is a generally accepted method for strumming the uke which is the one Aldrine discusses in one of his earliest Iamhawaii.com lessons. The best way of describing it is like this: stretch out your right arm as if you were going to open a door, drop the index finger on your hand so it's roughly 90 degrees to your arm. From there you get the strumming motion by rotating arm around its cental axis.

The uke only has 4 strings normally, but even with more the area you need to strum is very small, it's not like a guitar where you have to do massive axe weilding strums.

As everyone else said though you can do it any way you want. It drives me mad when Julia Nunes plays the uke like it's a small guitar but she seems to do well from it.

I'm not the only one who noticed Julia does that! :) I think it might be because she uses a pick....hmm.

Also, lol at "massive axe wielding strums".

I'm not the only one who noticed Julia does that! :) I think it might be because she uses a pick....hmm.

Also, lol at "massive axe wielding strums".

Thank the lord I thought I was alone too! It must be because she uses a pick...

Thank the lord I thought I was alone too! It must be because she uses a pick...

I don't know about her, but sometimes for little bits of really fast picking stuff I'll put my thumb and index finger together very much like I would if I were using a pick, but use the nail of my index finger instead. It just seems to work better for some things. Gives me a bit more minute control.

I don't know about her, but sometimes for little bits of really fast picking stuff I'll put my thumb and index finger together very much like I would if I were using a pick, but use the nail of my index finger instead. It just seems to work better for some things. Gives me a bit more minute control.

I don't think I've heard of that before! Actually hang on, can I remember Aldrine mentioning something similar in one of his videos? I think it may have been for a special strumming pattern on a UB40 song, my memory is faded...

I started out strumming with out a pick but I imagined I was holding a pick. That was how I strummed a guitar. I never liked holding a pick so I always imitated the finger so my dad wouldn't get on to me. No I don't know what I do but everyone likes the way I play except for me.

Top Bottom