Drill Press Mod

Perhaps I'm missing something? What is the benefit over leaving the column as one piece?

That particular drill press has a very limited distance from quill to table and from column to drill centre, so you are never able to drill into a piece of material that is taller or wider than that distance. Solution is to free that constraint, so he can place the table at essentially any height he likes as well that limitation of bumping into the column with the work piece is now removed.

Google "Radial Drill Press" and see what you get.

Are you sure it's from an Australian luthier site, because i cant see any beer in that workshop?

Cool, thanks for sharing.

The problem with most radial drill press units is that the table dosn't adjust to the centre line of the chuck and full out you are left with the workpiece overhanging the table..with this method the table is always on centre. :)

I have an old Craftsman radial drill press. Unfortunately, I broke the collar and I can't use it anymore but you can bolt a larger, sacrificial table to cover the travel. It doesn't look like there is any way to use a hole cutter to make rosette slots on the setup pictured without hitting the base on the top section. It would only be good for drilling or tools with long shanks.

I have an old Craftsman radial drill press. Unfortunately, I broke the collar and I can't use it anymore but you can bolt a larger, sacrificial table to cover the travel. It doesn't look like there is any way to use a hole cutter to make rosette slots on the setup pictured without hitting the base on the top section. It would only be good for drilling or tools with long shanks.
Not a big problem..it's only cast aluminium...it would take about 10 minutes just to saw that bit off...or as there is plenty of traverse in the downstroke just wind the quill down a bit before fitting the hole cutter in the chuck.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom