Need help choosing song.

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm going to be making a music video for my dad, revealing that I can play the Ukulele and I need to choose which song to use. I've only had an Uke for a couple months, but I practice all the time and have learned quite a few chords, how to "pick" and how to "chuck", or "slap" (I think it's called).

I'm hoping to find a song that incorporates chucking into it somewhere because I think it sounds really neat. The chords I know (right of hand) are: C, G, F, D, Am, Bb, Em, A, A7, Cm, C7, Cmaj7, Bm7, Dm, E7. That's all I can think of right now. I'm not perfect at playing all of those, but I do have them memorized and can play them, so I'd like to find a song using some of those.

I'm hoping for a song that kind of "shows off the Uke" and is a catchy or beautiful piece. I'm not looking for something that sounds best with singing, as I don't sing very well. So hopefully someone can point me to a song that's a nice instrumental, won't take me a year to learn and sounds best on an Uke. : )

Anyone have any ideas? If you need any more information let me know. I have a Kala Tenor Ukulele.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I look forward to your replies.

That is easy...play some basic chords such as C Am F & G7. You can add chucking as you like. I taught my nephew those chords to start withe and since he has changed things up to sound really cool while playing those same chords. Can play it fast, slow, mix up the strumming a bit....just have fun with it!!

Scooter

May get more results in Song Help Forum below this one

Thank you, I've improvised a little before, and plan on doing it a lot more in the future.

For my video I'd like to be able to learn a song that I can play over again, in a few different spots then put it altogether in editing. So I think it'd be best to choose something with sheet music I can refer to, instead of trying to remember (or writing out) whatever I make up.

That is easy...play some basic chords such as C Am F & G7. You can add chucking as you like. I taught my nephew those chords to start withe and since he has changed things up to sound really cool while playing those same chords. Can play it fast, slow, mix up the strumming a bit....just have fun with it!!

There are alternative words to Jesus Loves Me for seasoned citizens. Since the words are different, it might be alright to play loose with the harmonies of the chords. With just C - F - G, and your strumming strokes, you can have a good time, and a good message. I play the C as 3-4-3-3 F as 2-3-1-3 and
G as 4-5-3-5. Let me know if you would like to see the words.

Grace and Peace,
thecraftedcow@comcast.net

There are alternative words to Jesus Loves Me for seasoned citizens. Since the words are different, it might be alright to play loose with the harmonies of the chords. With just C - F - G, and your strumming strokes, you can have a good time, and a good message. I play the C as 3-4-3-3 F as 2-3-1-3 and
G as 4-5-3-5. Let me know if you would like to see the words.

Grace and Peace,
thecraftedcow@comcast.net

Thank you, that sounds interesting. Yes please send me the words. You can email them to me at gracegivengrace@gmail.com or post it here.

Most bluegrass songs use a 1 4 5 progression. Some add a relative minor...literally hundred of choices...some of my Fav's that mix things up a bit, but are still easy, I know you rider, Friend of the Devil, Mama's Opery, Cowboy's Sweetheart...

Top Bottom