Season 75 of the Ukulele - And We're Off!

Good news, everybody: I just remembered I can reply to multiple quotes!

+1

Have some ideas, but not many...

Horse racing only. Stay tuned; I'll put up some suggestions in a little bit. In the meantime check out the links I posted earlier. We really have to have you two here this week! After all, there was a racehorse named Glockenspiel. (But just having the glockenspiel in the video isn't enough. I'll give you extra consideration, for that, though!)

good theme, in your owners and breeders list, is it just the association that counts or does it have to be a horse name or track in song,
ie bing crosby any song by him,

You have the idea. Anything by Bing Crosby is fine. Ditto Fred Astaire, Roy Rogers, Partridge Family. I'm dying for some Merv Griffin!

What a great theme, Lily! I hope that perhaps I might have time to enter something this week. I'll try......:)

I hope so, too! Did you know there was a racehorse named Gracie Allen?

I'm drawing a blank on this one. I guess I'll have to do some research.

Start by seeing if there is anyone on the list of owners and breeders who appeals to you. Then try the Online Names Book and try out a few names of songs and see if anything comes up. But I will be putting some suggestions up in a little while.

There is only one person (OK- maybe two) on here that would possibly do this song, and both of them would do it even if I post the video early (and maybe sans pants).
When I was 14 I went into a used record store having seen this in the window. I had heard the Specials and Bob Marley, liked what they sounded like, and saw a Jamaican flag on the label...figured it would be hard for it not to be worth $1.99. It turned out that an obsession with early Reggae was about to be born, and The Pioneers were the ones that started it. 26 years later, these songs still get play time on my radio show, and are still among my favorites.
And as luck would have it, are about horse racing.
I figured while we were waiting at the gates, we could use some inspiration this morning.

REGGAE TIME!

TCK, I knew I could count on you for some solid research! I suppose "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" was too obvious?

Only sixty-two minutes to post! Woo-hoo!

Try folk songs, especially Irish. Lovely Leitrim is a personal friend of mine.

Thirty minutes to post!

Oh, there are scads of songs that one could do this week. I have about 30 lined up and waiting. The most solid one exploits the loophole you gave us with the owners. The best one, regretfully, is in a high enough register that I can't sing it...Ralf? I got a song you would KILL my friend ;)
Oh yeah- and there's a little song the Possum did. It needs thirty people playing it, so, I will be hosting a Uke-a-long on Saturday (don't tell Melisa) on my front line to treat my neighbors to it.
The Race Is On! Challenging theme, but wonderfully so Lily.
TCK, I knew I could count on you for some solid research! I suppose "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" was too obvious?

Only sixty-two minutes to post! Woo-hoo!

As this is a season with as far as I know no fitting U2 song, I started googling songs about horse racing, this came up and I decided to go for it. As I could not decide to strum or pick I made two recordings. This one has some effects on the direct (plugged in) uke sound, as the sound is mixed with the camera sound and the sound from my MacBook, it gives a nice blend. It's a traditional Irish song called: The Galway Races.

Last edited:
And here is the alternative version, also a traditional Irish song called: The Galway Races:

Last edited:
Oh, there are scads of songs that one could do this week. I have about 30 lined up and waiting. The most solid one exploits the loophole you gave us with the owners. The best one, regretfully, is in a high enough register that I can't sing it...Ralf? I got a song you would KILL my friend ;)
Oh yeah- and there's a little song the Possum did. It needs thirty people playing it, so, I will be hosting a Uke-a-long on Saturday (don't tell Melisa) on my front line to treat my neighbors to it.
The Race Is On! Challenging theme, but wonderfully so Lily.

You, my friend, are the cat's!!! If you get thirty people together, or even half that, I will send you chocolate. Ditto if you post thirty videos.

As this is a season with as far as I know no fitting U2 song, I started googling songs about horse racing, this came up and I decided to go for it. As I could not decide to strum or pick I made two recordings. This one has some effects on the direct (plugged in) uke sound, as the sound is mixed with the camera sound and the sound from my MacBook, it gives a nice blend. It's a traditional Irish song called: The Galway Races.

That's the stuff! I don't know of any U2, but if the Police will do, check out 2010 American Horse of the Year. Her name is only half the album title, but she was owned by Jerry Moss who named her after the album.

Last edited:
Off to an early start.

Stewball or Skewball is a traditional song which is based on a real horse called Skewball which was owned by the Earl of Godolphin in the mid eighteenth century. It won a number of races both in England and Ireland in the 1740s and 1750s. The song exists in many variants which are found in both Britain and America. They all share the same basic story of Stewball/Skewball beating the favourite, usually a Grey Mare. The British (mainly English, though the location is often in Kildare in Ireland - the real Skewball won a number of races there) versions tend to be called Skewball and have the horse and rider in conversation during the race and the American versions more commonly called Stewball have the horse behaving normally and often winning because the Grey Mare stumbled.

I first heard it as sung by Peter, Paul and Mary in the 1960s but the version I sing here is slightly different (according to the internet site I found the words on it's based on a version sung by Joan Baez) though I have used the same tune as PP&M

Playlist is here! At least I hope it is. Please let me know if you have any trouble with it as I'm new at this! (It's in the first post, too, in case you want it later.)

Off to have some dinner and I will be back with the Post Parade (that is, lots of comments on your wonderful videos) shortly! Thanks everybody!

Black Caviar.
25 starts - 25 wins - never beaten.
Retired now.
Scared everyone with her 22nd win at Royal Ascot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMnHFQByzo
And her last race at Randwick in Sydney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ills6b5a8F8
In the spirit of racing I sped up as I went through the song - oh hang on I always do that.:eek:

Not a big fan of Ted Egan but he does write a lot of stuff on the history of Australia. Here he is playing the beer carton.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy_nY5DDkc8

Last edited:
xommen -- Galway Races (1&2) -- Very nice job on both versions! I think if I had to choose I would say I like the picking better, but only because you did a really beautiful job with that. I'm counting both as entries because even though they are the same song the versions are very different.

Tootler -- Stewball -- I knew you would find at least one folk song that fit this theme! There are so many (including this guy), I hope you'll be back with more, but please don't feel restricted to folk songs on my account! (And I hope you enjoyed your holiday in Austria! Maybe Switzerland next year?)

Thank you, gentlemen, for getting us out of the gate strong! (Yeah, that's a thing, racetrack-wise.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom