Season 75 of the Ukulele - And We're Off!

ukuLily Mars

Reaction score

The last few weeks have been very educational, thought-provoking, even profound. I’m here to put an end to that.

This is the opening weekend of the 150th meet at Saratoga Racecourse, the oldest racetrack in the US, so this week’s theme is HORSE RACING! Thoroughbred racing, flats and jumps (steeplechase), quarterhorse, or standardbred and harness racing.

• Songs about the world of horse racing or racetracks.
• Horse names—song titles, but for a musical, movie or album that shares its name with a horse, you may choose any song from that collection.
• Songs written or performed by people connected with horse racing, songs linked to people connected with racing (such as a recording produced by Jerry Moss or from a movie produced by Cubby Broccoli), or songs about these people. Please, just because someone showed up for a photo op at the Kentucky Derby does not make them involved in horse racing.
• There are many horses who have been named after people, so songs written or recorded by or songs about those people.
• Any song from anything based on material by Damon Runyon.

I hope this gives everyone some ideas! Now, here are the rules.

1. The time at which the first race goes off is called “post time.” At Saratoga, this is 1:05pm. No entries may be posted before 1:05pm EDT (Eastern Daylight Time). I will announce when the gate is open so nobody has to calculate anything.
2. The finish line is at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday, July 28.
3. Multi-tracking is fine.
4. Please let me see your face and your ‘ukulele, at least for a moment. ‘Ukulele should be the main instrument.
5. Extra-special consideration if you include something that horses love: a cat, a goat, a bowl of peppermints. Unlike the clubhouse at Saratoga there is no dress code, but if you would like to dress for the box seats please do! It would be fun to see a few hats. Yes, Ralf, you may wear your cat on your head.
6. Please share, in your video or in your post, the name of your song and why you selected it. It’s always fun to know what drew a Seasonista to a particular song. We’ll call this the TCK Rule. Also please state that this is for the 75th Season of the Ukulele (title card or caption is fine).
7. Duplicates are welcome. Songs in languages other than English are welcome. Original songs are welcome. Newcomers are especially welcome! In fact, weight allowance for newcomers.
8. Enter up to ten videos. If you have ten cats or ten goats you will stand a good chance of winning something, if only my heart. Anything over ten will be a bonus. New videos only, because seriously, you will be amazed at how many horses are named after songs.

This prize is AWESOME!!! Stride for Stride is a novel set in the world of horse racing in Ireland and the US in the late 1950s. Oh, and it’s by my husband! It will be signed for the winner. I love this book, and if you like animals you will, too, even if you don’t know anything about horse racing. I’m going to make one of the prizes during the week while I watch videos, so I can’t show it to you yet, but I hope you will like it. There will be a third prize but I haven’t decided what it will be, so stay tuned.

Check below for links, and if you have any questions please ask! This is my first time hosting so I’m sure I’ve left something out, although it’s hard to believe given how long-winded that video is.

Thanks, Seasonistas, for letting me host this week. I hope you all enjoy this Season!

Playlist is HERE!
This one goes from eleven: BONUS PLAYLIST
STEWBALL

Last edited:
A bonus for 10 videos or more??? Pabrizzer gonna win hands down!

Cheers...let the games begin!

Hee! I should clarify that any videos after the tenth are bonus entries. You don't actually get extra points for eleven entries or more. You can get extra points for extra goats, though.

A couple items to get you started:

Here is a link to the US Jockey Club Online Names Book:
https://www.registry.jockeyclub.com...and=813&init=&CFID=161045321&CFTOKEN=12081531

And this is a list of American racehorse owners and breeders:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_racehorse_owners_and_breeders

For some reason David Cassidy is not on the list and he should be. I'm not sure if Jule Styne owned horses or not but by all accounts he was at the track every spare moment, so let's include him. Cab Calloway and Jimmy Durante have races named after them, so they count.

So- in reading the guidelines, I see that Horse names is one possible criteria...but it does not specify race horses. I am assuming it should, but my head is full of old cowboy songs right now and wanted to clarify- this is going to fun!
I LOVE that I got my own rule ;)

Hey.
I don't believe I've ever done anywhere near 10.
I don't even think I hold the record for the most videos posted in a single season - I reckon that would be decaturcomp.
Not into the pony's so I may have trouble getting one done this season.
Hope there's a song about Phar Lap.

OK.
Black Caviar is in the box and ready to go.
25 starts. 25 wins. Including a race in England. Now retired.
Just waiting for "post time".

Don't want to put pressure on the judge but if I don't win the season it will be Black Caviar's first defeat.:)

Last edited:
Oh, yes! I had a song I was going to do for a bonus for the last season...turns out it'd fit right in here.

Great season, Lily. Stay tuned...

Shady

As a lover of off the track Thoroughbreds, including the peanut M&M loving, complete basket case, but very sexy Austin himself, I would just like to say that I love this week.

48_542529509439_8176_n.jpg

Would a song that mentions "horses" in the title count? I'm kinda at a loss here this week...

+1

Have some ideas, but not many...

good theme, in your owners and breeders list, is it just the association that counts or does it have to be a horse name or track in song,
ie bing crosby any song by him,

So- in reading the guidelines, I see that Horse names is one possible criteria...but it does not specify race horses. I am assuming it should, but my head is full of old cowboy songs right now and wanted to clarify- this is going to fun!
I LOVE that I got my own rule ;)

Yes, racehorses only. I was extremely long-winded, both in the video and in the written introductions, and I must have deleted that. Sorry! And you deserve your own rule, my friend.

OK.
Black Caviar is in the box and ready to go.
25 starts. 25 wins. Including a race in England. Now retired.
Just waiting for "post time".

Don't want to put pressure on the judge but if I don't win the season it will be Black Caviar's first defeat.:)

Yay! I don't know Black Caviar so this will be fun. You could always write a song about Phar Lap, too! (I was hoping someone would think of him but I don't know of any songs about him or with his name in the title.)

Would a song that mentions "horses" in the title count? I'm kinda at a loss here this week...

Nope. But check out the links above. You'll be surprised how much fits. I have at least five on my YT channel that fit the criteria of horses' names in the title, and that doesn't even include songs that were recorded by racing people.

I will put some more suggestions up when I get back to my real computer, but you could start with recordings produced by Jerry Moss, recorded by Bing Crosby or the Beach Boys, or from "Guys and Dolls."

Top Bottom