PDA

View Full Version : Changing strings from low G to high G

gabiruman
07-20-2013, 03:33 PM
So guys I have a doubt here, I bought a uke that came with a low G, do I need to make any aditional arrangements if I want to change to a high G, besides the normal procedures?
Since I'm asking this, what's the best way to know how much slack you leave when changing strings, I've seen several ways to do it, but got a little confused on which to use.... pull 3 frets down and cut the end before winding for example...
I await your answers.
Cheers

Hammond
07-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Have you watched HMS video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwNDkh43oqc) before? If not, this is a good guide :)
Is the low g string wound or not? Un-wound low g string usaully is thicker which mean you may have a wider nut slot. If so, the new high g string may buzz at the nut. Leave this to some wiser people to answer you :D

gabiruman
07-21-2013, 03:10 AM
Have you watched HMS video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwNDkh43oqc) before? If not, this is a good guide :)
Is the low g string wound or not? Un-wound low g string usaully is thicker which mean you may have a wider nut slot. If so, the new high g string may buzz at the nut. Leave this to some wiser people to answer you :D

Thanks for the reply!
the strings that came were from a classical guitar tuned a 4th up, so the G string would be similar to a D string on a classical guitar. I watched that video, that says to pull down 2 frets... other I watched said 3 frets on the G and C, and E and A were done differently but well I'll figure it out somehow

Louis0815
07-23-2013, 01:35 AM
Since I'm asking this, what's the best way to know how much slack you leave when changing strings, I've seen several ways to do it, but got a little confused on which to use.... pull 3 frets down and cut the end before winding for example...
Apart from the fact that I never cut off any slack I would never cut off anything before winding up the string.

Pull it tight through the peghole, start winding it up to tune and cut off the excess string afterwards. Two or three rounds around the peg are usually enough - if you have more don't worry too much as long as the windings are still on the peg itself (don't wind up in double layers).

gabiruman
07-23-2013, 01:44 AM
Thank you for your answers guys, I've succefully changed my strings, didn't had to make any adjustments, just regular restringing :)

Hammond
07-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Thank you for your answers guys, I've succefully changed my strings, didn't had to make any adjustments, just regular restringing :)

Glad to hear that. Well done:)