Buying Equipment (amps)

Mahalos7

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a good amp or two for myself. It will be mainly small stuff entertaining anywhere from 12-75 people at a time. I was looking for a solid amp with some effects and probably 2-3 channels. This will be my first amp so I need a little help on this one please. Thanks for all of the comments!
Mahalos :music:

amp

Y0U Sh0Uld TRY GEttiN A liNE 6 AMP. it is n0t t00 biG 0R N0t t00 SMAll ANd it hAS AB0Ut 4 diffERENt EffECts 0n iT. BuT My AMP 0Nly hAS i ChANNEl.:)

Here's a list of threads using search, might find something useful or informative.

Last edited:
Y0U Sh0Uld TRY GEttiN A liNE 6 AMP. it is n0t t00 biG 0R N0t t00 SMAll ANd it hAS AB0Ut 4 diffERENt EffECts 0n iT. BuT My AMP 0Nly hAS i ChANNEl.:)
Pidgin: Eh, type normally, kinda hard fo read when get caps mixed with lowah case. You no have to impress anybody.

English Translation: Please respond using the proper case instead of mixing them. It's quite distracting and can be difficult to read. It doesn't impress anyone.

Last edited:
Kanaka916: Your link says "Sorry - No Matches"

What is your budget, Mahalos? A self-contained P.A. system is your best
bet for meeting the channel requirement. The Carvin S400D fits the ticket
for the description of the venues you posted. When a room gets crowded,
you need the sound above the heads of your audience as the sound gets
absorbed by the bodies close to the stage. Being able to mount the amp on
a speaker stand is a plus, here. Take a look on Carvin's site. I own this amp
and bought the extension speaker, stands, extra battery (it runs 3 hours at
full power on the supplied internal motorcycle size battery. The extra
battery boosts the run time up to 6 hours), speaker cable (for the extension
speaker) and the car cord:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=S400D

http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/s400d.pdf

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5694&highlight=s400d

Here's a photo of mine in use:

Ukulele513.jpg

Here's the lower stage at the Ukulele Society of America. We use this setup
when there's another band scheduled to play after us. They can setup on the
main stage, while we tear down in front of the bar. All the pictured amps run
on battery power, or Ac:

Ukulele514.jpg

At the BakitWhy picnic, Bolsa Chica State Beach, California playing
for 3 seperate beach groups. The audience total was about 100. The
vocals were run through a Crate Taxi TX15, the acoustic guitar was
run through a Roland Microcube RX and the ukuleles were run through
Vox DA5's.:

http://www.bakitwhy.com/2008/08/the-bakitwhy-socal-bbq-a-succe.html

BakitWhy11.jpg

BakitWhy17.jpg

2802115577_61974b815c.jpg

Last edited:
The smallest 3 channel amp I recommend is the Vox DA5. It's a nice
busking amp for crowds up to 20. It does OK for an acoustic guitar,
but is still not ideal for that application. It has onboard effects and can
be plugged into a larger P.A.. It also has a controllable microphone input.
It runs on C batteries. I would use AA adaptors (see the photo on the
Vox DA5), as AA batteries are available everywhere. Light weight makes
it suitable for carrying in your luggage. Long battery run time - 10+ hours.
Two of the channels (instrument and microphone) have their own volume
controls. The third channel is an auxilliary line that I use for a CD player
or MP3 player.

Ukulele516.jpg

Ukulele530.jpg

Santa brought my daughter the Vox amp for her uke and guitar and the Bass Roland microcube for my son for his bass. Amazingly great sound out of them. For small application these are great and both AC/DC. The nice thing about the Vox is the separate input for mic and the Roland has a killer built-in drum machine. (Santa is hopping the siblings will eventually busk together, with these amps the have a perfect little band set-up.)

Santa brought my daughter the Vox amp for her uke and guitar and the Bass Roland microcube for my son for his bass.

The "Barefoot Minihines"? That's really cool that Santa (Do you know her?) hooked the youngun's up, Sally. They'll be popular in school, for sure! They've got the rythym, the bass, the ukulele and the vocals. I use an impedence matcher for the XLR connectors on my microphones to plug into the 1/4" microphone jacks on the backs of the Vox DA5's. Of course high impedence microphones with 1/4" cables are available, too:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...tle-IMP-Lo-to-Hi-Impedance-Matcher?sku=427600

371357.jpg

I bought C cell adaptors for my Vox DA5's so I can use AA NiMH rechargeable batteries for all the small amps. Curently I have 1 Roland Microcube RX Bass, 2 Roland Microcube RX's, 3 Vox DA5's, 1 Crate Taxi TX15 and a Carvin S400D P.A. in my battery powered arsenal. We've used them in outdoor events and parades, along with using them for weekly kanikapila at the Ukulele Society of America. That way we're always using the same setup. Ric

Ukulele516.jpg

anybody else see the irony in this?:)

yes, its a hawaii thing unfortunately. i thought we had seen the last of it when i was in the 8th grade. i guess i was wrong, or should i say WrOnG?

Ricdoug, thanks for all of the input, you have really gone out of your way for me on this one, too bad your not in kauai we could hook up. Thanks for the photos too. I will try to remember to let you know what the outcome is of what i picked up!

Hey Kanaka916, Mahalos for the link and the info to help me out, keep rockin brah!

Top Bottom