Looking for opinions on a Tenor

Muugi

Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts or help on my thoughts for a new ukulele. I have been playing off and on for a few years now. I started on a Kala Concert Mahogany (KA-C) and eventually got a solid body Eleuke for something different.

I am looking to get something that has a bit more full sound and a pickup for amplification. I headed over to several local stores and tried out quite a few that they had. I really gravitated towards the solid wood acoustic tenors. I eventually purchased a Oscar Schmidt solid Mango that I eventually took back because I did not like the look (silly but eh).

I have been thinking about what I liked and what is available and have been eyeing the Kala Marcy Marxer Tenor (KA-ASAC-T-C-SP/MM). I like the slotted head, lighter top with a darker sides and back. I also liked the non-special edition version (KA-STE-C). Lose the slotted head stock and acacia and also lose $200. Is the extra $200 worth it from a sound perspective? Looks are subjective but like to hear others opinions. How about the Kala arch-tops? No specific reason I am only talking about the Kalas they just happen to grab my attention.

What else is out there for around $300-$500 that is a tenor, with pickup and two tone body/top? Really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks all.

Looking for some thoughts or help on my thoughts for a new ukulele. I have been playing off and on for a few years now. I started on a Kala Concert Mahogany (KA-C) and eventually got a solid body Eleuke for something different.

I am looking to get something that has a bit more full sound and a pickup for amplification. I headed over to several local stores and tried out quite a few that they had. I really gravitated towards the solid wood acoustic tenors. I eventually purchased a Oscar Schmidt solid Mango that I eventually took back because I did not like the look (silly but eh).

I have been thinking about what I liked and what is available and have been eyeing the Kala Marcy Marxer Tenor (KA-ASAC-T-C-SP/MM). I like the slotted head, lighter top with a darker sides and back. I also liked the non-special edition version (KA-STE-C). Lose the slotted head stock and acacia and also lose $200. Is the extra $200 worth it from a sound perspective? Looks are subjective but like to hear others opinions. How about the Kala arch-tops? No specific reason I am only talking about the Kalas they just happen to grab my attention.

What else is out there for around $300-$500 that is a tenor, with pickup and two tone body/top? Really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks all.

Well, I know of a great uke over in the marketplace that is close to your budget range. Maybe throw in something (another uke) and cash...lol. Seriously though. Check out my uke I'm selling.

The Marcy Marxer in my experience is kind of a quiet uke, not nearly as loud as an ASAC-T, although I've only played 3 or 4 of them (marxers that is).

The Archtops are particularly warm sounding, a little mellower than your typical spruce top uke. Once again, not the loudest uke out there, but not a bad sound either.

In my experience, the STE-C is quite punchy and loud, but not in an overbearing way. I think this model has been improved over the years, but maybe that's just my imagination.....I like it though.

The Marxer has a better pickup system in it, it has a 2 band eq and a tuner built in, while the archtop and STE-C I believe just have a volume and tone.

Just a few opinions, and once again, derived from my subjective experience.

Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the archtop today because of the warm sounds. Already have a burst color on my elements though.

Saw those jazz uses from the UK!

In the end I purchased a Red Cedar Tenor from Mainland Ukes.

I have hard nothing but great things about the company and the products. Mike was great working with me and answering a few questions.

Top Bottom