l0NG NAiLS?

Reaction score
iS it G00d OR bAd t0 PlAY WIth l0NG NAilS? WhiCH iS it EASEiR t0 PlAY With?
WhAt d0 Y0U PREfER ANd WhY? i kN0W thAt AldRiNE kEEPS hiS NAilS PREttY l0NG bECAUSE i l00kEd At hiS NAilS 0N tHE"iF i AiNt G0t Y0U" UkE lESS0N, ANd hE USES hiS NAilS REAllY G00d. AlS0, i liKE thE M0RE BRiGhtER S0UNd 0F thE UkUlElE iF Y0U USE Y0UR NAilS, BUt itS SEEMS t0 BE hAREdER t0 PiCk iF Y0U ARE D0iNG A REAllY FASt PiCkiNG S0NG WitH l0NG NAilS.
ANd if i CUt MY NAilS, i SEEM t0 GEt Al0t 0f bliStERS bECAUSE i l0VE PiCkiNG. i th0UGht 0f GEttiNG A GUitAR PiCk, bUt thAtS N0t N0RMAL hERE iN 0AhU......M0ST 0f thE g00d UkE PlAYERS In 0AhU d0Nt USE PiCkS. thANkS =D

Last edited:
WhAt d0 Y0U PREfER ANd WhY? thANkS:D
fAt, I keep mine on the short side. However, I'm not a master of the uke, but Jake is. Here is a link to his press photo page on his website. You will probably have to download these high-def pictures from Jake's media package to see the whole images, but it is well worth the effort if you want to see some very incredible detailed close ups of Jakes nail length along with his beautiful slotted-head Kamaka custom uke. thanks, e.lo..
http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com/?t=pressgallery

It can certainly help. But they really don't need to be super long. Just enough to go a bit past the pad of your fingertip so you have something to catch the string with or strum with. (Depends on your playing style.)

You don't gain too much more in terms of sound or volume by growing them out further than that and I've found from laziness in terms of filing that past a certain point they're more likely to get cracked in the course of daily life/work. I'm sure that you'll find your own ideal compromise with playing and strength.

I've also been using a couple of nail strengthening products that have seemed to help. ("Nailtiques Formula 2" and "Hard as Nails".) While they don't absolutely keep them from breaking, it does seem that they've been breaking much less frequently than before. (which may also be a combo of the nail strengthener and my being more vigilant.)

Protip: Consistency in letters and case when typing makes your question more easily readable and legible which in turn makes folks more likely to answer your query. It may look like all cool and internet speak to you, but it certainly made my eyes hurt trying to decipher the WAHRGABL.:p

WhAt d0 Y0U PREfER ANd WhY? thANkS:D

i'M gUiLtY oF tExTiNg LiKe ThAt :D My friends hate it cuz it takes them like a minute to read a sentence lolz

I cut my chord hand nails as short as possible so they don't interfere with the strings

I keep my left hand thumb, pointer, and middle fingernails long enough so that you can see them from the palm side of your hand. I usually cut my ring and pinky nails short

I'm right handed so when I play any stringed instrument like my friends' ukulele or guitar or something I have my left hand's nails cut short and my right hand's index(pointer) finger not too long, but not too short. Don't want to strum with my bare skin where my nail should be!

WOW is took me a really longtime to read this post... I must be old or something.

I started growing my nail on my strumming / picking hand cause to me the picking notes sounds cleaner and my strums are louder when using nails.

Now I just have to get used to having long nails. it sucks trying to type on my blackberry.

WOW is took me a really longtime to read this post... I must be old or something.

nah, its just annoying to read LiKe ThIs. Honestly, I didnt even read the post, its not worth my AtTeNtIoN.

...a couple of nail strengthening products that have seemed to help. ("Nailtiques Formula 2" and "Hard as Nails".)

I've used Nail Tek XTRA in the past with success... My wife says that taking gelatin capsules also helps?? :confused:

...I cut my chord hand nails as short as possible so they don't interfere with the strings

I keep my left hand thumb, pointer, and middle fingernails long...

Left-handed?? :)

...Consistency in letters and case when typing makes your question more easily readable and legible...it certainly made my eyes hurt trying to decipher the WAHRGABL.:p

WOW is took me a really longtime to read this post... I must be old or something...

...its just annoying to read LiKe ThIs...
emogrinyesfk7.gif

WhAt d0 Y0U PREfER ANd WhY? i kN0W thAt AldRiNE kEEPS hiS NAilS PREttY l0NG bECAUSE i l00kEd At hiS NAilS 0N tHE"iF i AiNt G0t Y0U" UkE lESS0N, ANd hE USES hiS NAilS REAllY G00d. AlS0, i liKE thE M0RE BRiGhtER S0UNd 0F thE UkUlElE iF Y0U USE Y0UR NAilS, BUt itS SEEMS t0 BE hAREdER t0 PiCk iF Y0U ARE D0iNG A REAllY FASt PiCkiNG S0NG WitH l0NG NAilS.
ANd if i CUt MY NAilS, i SEEM t0 GEt Al0t 0f bliStERS bECAUSE i l0VE PiCkiNG. i th0UGht 0f GEttiNG A GUitAR PiCk, bUt thAtS N0t N0RMAL hERE iN 0AhU......M0ST 0f thE g00d UkE PlAYERS In 0AhU d0Nt USE PiCkS. thANkS =D

please dont type like that.

I come from a classical guitar style background and my ukulele playing involves a lot of plucking, so my response to this question is: without a doubt long nails are the way to go. Here's a very helpful page detailing proper nail care and filing techniques.

I come from a classical guitar style background and my ukulele playing involves a lot of plucking, so my response to this question is: without a doubt long nails are the way to go. Here's a very helpful page detailing proper nail care and filing techniques.

That page was so helpful! Especially the hint about Player's Nails. My nails are worn down so easily by strumming and picking and I've been trying to figure out a way to reinforce them. Thanks!

That page was so helpful! Especially the hint about Player's Nails. My nails are worn down so easily by strumming and picking and I've been trying to figure out a way to reinforce them. Thanks!

I'm glad! Good luck, it'll really help improve your sound.

I keep my middle fingernail longer for banjo frailing, and usually end up growing the others out so that when I play ukulele or guitar or anyother finger style instrument I don't have the one nail throwing things out of wack.

Left hand is cut down to nubs.

Please learn English, and how to type. I got a headache after a few seconds of deciphering and stopped. It's not kewl, it's stoopid.

Top Bottom