Is getting a ukulele with a setup worth the extra cost?

k0nny

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here and new to playing ukulele as well, but I have done alot of research and I do know that a proper set up makes a world of difference in terms of sound quality.

My current situation is that I'm trying to decide between buying a new Lanikai LU-21 soprano from a friend (who just bought it from Guitar Center), or getting a Makala Dolphin from Uke Republic. My friend is selling her uke for $50, while getting a Dolphin from Uke would be the same price, plus an extra $16 for shipping. My budget is about $50 ):

I actually have her Lanikai in my possession right now, and I've been playing around with it for 3 days now. From being out of the box and strung with Aquilas, it seems to play cleanly up/down the fret board, with no buzzing issues except for when I try to play more complicated chords, which I'm hoping is just because of poor technique. I do have to tune it frequently, but I do understand that it's also a new instrument.

Since I'm just a beginning player, would it still be better to go for the Dolphin with a setup, even though the Lanikai seems to sound okay (to my novice ears)? Or should I just go with the Lanikai and wait to upgrade once I get better?

Any input on either ukuleles would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

I have a feeling you're going to get a range of responses on this one, but here's my $.02:

Keep the LU-21 if it's in your budget, and play it until it's dust.

I actually have her Lanikai in my possession right now, and I've been playing around with it for 3 days now. From being out of the box and strung with Aquilas, it seems to play cleanly up/down the fret board, with no buzzing issues except for when I try to play more complicated chords, which I'm hoping is just because of poor technique. I do have to tune it frequently, but I do understand that it's also a new instrument.
If you like the Lanikai and find it easy enough to play, then I'd probably say stay with it.

Yes, when you're learning, some chords are just harder to get down and the sound won't be pleasing, including buzzing because your fingers aren't exactly where they need to be yet.

New strings always take a while to break in.

If you like the Lanikai and find it easy enough to play, then I'd probably say stay with it.

Yes, when you're learning, some chords are just harder to get down and the sound won't be pleasing, including buzzing because your fingers aren't exactly where they need to be yet.

New strings always take a while to break in.

My thoughts also.

I've only been playing the ukulele for a month and a half. I went and bought the dolphin which I love it. For a beginner uke. But, if my LMS would've had the lanikai. I would have bought it. After the reviews I've seen about it. Good bang for the buck I guess. I'm just a beginner like I said. That's just my thoughts on that. Have fun ukeing. Once you start you can't stop.

Always get a set up with your uke purchase!!!! If it is not included in the price it is worth it. Just buy from uke dealers that include the set up and ....no worries!!!

Lanikai. I still own my LU21 (lots of other ukes have come and gone) and play her nearly everyday. Like someone said earlier - play it till its dust!

Setup. Absolutely. Worth. The. Money.

The Lanikai LU-11 and LU-21 are better than many inexpensive ukes, but I have purchased somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen of them (grandkids and whatnot) and, while every single one was "playable" out of the box (not always the case in this price range), every single one also need some adjustments at the nut to play in tune.

A ukulele that plays in tune and that is easy to fret will encourage you to play more and then you really can "play it to dust!" :)

John

The Lanikai LU-11 and LU-21 are better than many inexpensive ukes, but I have purchased somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen of them (grandkids and whatnot) and, while every single one was "playable" out of the box (not always the case in this price range), every single one also need some adjustments at the nut to play in tune.

A ukulele that plays in tune and that is easy to fret will encourage you to play more and then you really can "play it to dust!" :)

John
I got the LU-21 from Amazon knowing nothing about set up. I took it to the closest luthier before I gave it to her and he set it up and changed the strings. What a difference it made. It was so much fun after that that I got my self one with the set up and I am addicted. I am a slow learner but I know I'm making progress. Before the set up it would not stay tuned and it buzzed a lot so no one wanted to even try to learn. Get the set up, as a novice it made a tremendous difference. I think we all have it backwards, the beginners should have the best Ukes, that way they would practice more. The experts can make anything sound great! Good luck

My personal recommendation would be to get the Lanikai and then take it someplace to get it set up when you can.
A Lanikai LU-21T was my first ukulele, and I still have it. It is a much better ukulele than a dolphin.

It's just to bad that my LMS Didn't carry lanikai k would of bought it. I had a choice between the dolphin or a diamond Head. After all the reviews I watched on the dolphin I went with it. But this post is about the lanikai from what I watched and heard on YouTube. Go for it I know I would've if it would of been there.

Well, the Lanikai can be had online for less than $50, so your friend is selling it at full retail, if that makes any difference to you...

I agree that getting a uke that's set up is really worth it, although I wouldn't pass up a good deal on one that isn't. You then have the option of taking it in to be set up, which will probably cost you more than it would have if you'd just bought the uke from a shop that sets them up before shipment, or learning to do it yourself. It's really not that difficult, at least for basic saddle/nut modifications if you're inclined toward mechanical work and can be precise, and it brings a bit of satisfaction when you make a cheap uke sound decent.

The LU21 is a good basic uke, and from what it sounds like, I agree with the others, play it and enjoy it. I come from a photography background, and recognize a similar situation with ukes as I saw with photo equipment...that is, lots of folks buy cameras to improve their photography, and when they don't get outstanding photos, look for a better camera. It's a trap, and never works. Save the equipment upgrades for later.

Hi everyone! I'm new here and new to playing ukulele as well, but I have done alot of research and I do know that a proper set up makes a world of difference in terms of sound quality.

My current situation is that I'm trying to decide between buying a new Lanikai LU-21 soprano from a friend (who just bought it from Guitar Center), or getting a Makala Dolphin from Uke Republic. My friend is selling her uke for $50, while getting a Dolphin from Uke would be the same price, plus an extra $16 for shipping. My budget is about $50 ):

Since I'm just a beginning player, would it still be better to go for the Dolphin with a setup, even though the Lanikai seems to sound okay (to my novice ears)? Or should I just go with the Lanikai and wait to upgrade once I get better?

Any input on either ukuleles would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

I'm friends with UkeRepublic. So I of course say go with him however...if the lanikai plays fine and it is $16 cheaper, then stick with it. Then in a few weeks or,onths when you want to upgrade go with UkeRepublic.

Oops, yes, it is $50.00 USD. I sometimes forget that anyone lives outside California!

Just because we use Clams in RI doesn't mean the rest of the country doesn't also use USD ;) (Except VT... only VT money is accepted there).

I love looking at prices in Pounds Sterling. They look so cheap!

I bought my Lanikai from Guitar Center. The deal was $49 which is good, but didn't have the setup work done... fret board and all that. I'm glad I have a decent beginners Uke, but the service at GC for the Uke was horrible. My next purchase... when there is money... will be from a place that ships it with the work done; however, I wouldn't sweat it. Get the Uke play it and when there is a chance, pay to have it straightened out by a pro... watch them do it if you can. Good luck.

John

I absolutely agree. I bought some nice ukes and a couple of them needed a setup for my preferences--even though I bought from excellent dealers.. The string height does make a difference to some of us. I like mine closer to the frets because they are easier to push down. YMMV

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

I absolutely agree. I bought some nice ukes and a couple of them needed a setup for my preferences--even though I bought from excellent dealers.. The string height does make a difference to some of us. I like mine closer to the frets because they are easier to push down. YMMV

Since I've just started playing and haven't really developed "preferences," would it still make a big difference to get a uke that's setup while I'm still learning? I honestly have no idea whether the strings on the Lanikai are considered easy or hard to push down haha. Also as a side question: since I don't really have many chances to try out different ukuleles, how would I go about finding out what I like? The last time I went, my local GC had a really small selection of just Lanikais ): Is it just sort of a hit-or-miss when you buy a new uke from a dealer? I know there are youtube vids/demos, but I imagine it's different actually holding and playing the instrument.

Well, the Lanikai can be had online for less than $50, so your friend is selling it at full retail, if that makes any difference to you...

haha oops forgot to mention this is $50 US, and yup that was the price she paid for it, so I feel bad if I bought it from her for any less haha.

Top Bottom