Staying in Tune

foryrownjoy

Reaction score
I recently purchased a aNueNue U900 pineapple uke. I just had it set-up by a local luthier and it's such a difference when playing. However, it seems to be going out of tune faster than before the set-up. Is that something that they correct (i.e. the screws in the tuning pegs) or do I have to do it? Before I could play and set it down to do something then come back and it would still be fine. Now, I think it's been going out of tune immediately. Any tips? Will this lessen in time or is just because I bought an entry level uke? Thanks!

It is usually the strings stretching, it can a few days for them to settle in.

Sometimes, as the tuners "wear in" a little, the screw needs tightened a little.

Thank you. But eventually I shouldn't have to tune it every 5 minutes? I should just give it some time?

How long since you got it back?

Since the U900 usually has geared tuners, I would suspect that is not it.

They undoubtedly changed the strings when they did the setup so it will take a little time for them to stretch in. Here's what I do with new strings, tune them up a full step above your normal tuning (i.e. if you tune GCEA tune it to ADF#B). It will go out of fast really tune - just set it aside and watch TV or something - checking the tuning and tuning it up a full step high for the evening. Tune it one last time before bed and by tomorrow morning it will hold a tune (in it's normal GCEA tuning) long enough to not be frustrating. :)

Edit to add - there is one danger to this technique: You may discover that you like the higher tuning and decide you need a ukulele in each tuning. Thus begins UAS. LOL

John

Top Bottom