Ukulele materials.

Nguyen

Reaction score
I'm currently in Vietnam for vacation where they sell a lot of acacia guitars, mandolins, and ukuleles because of the hot climate. They also have a reputations for selling knock off brands and laminated wood (which is not what I want). So what are some ways to tell if its solid wood or laminated? What are also some ways to identify acacia wood and what are good woods for a ukulele face?

Your biggest concern will be to find wood that has been properly dried before constructing the instrument. Some of the instruments "will crack" if returned to a dry climate. You "may" be able to prevent that with a humidifier. It would be helpful if you could talk to people about instruments that have been taken from Vietnam to a drier climate and suffered no damage from it. There are ethical luthiers there that will use the best wood they can get, then there are the others. Also, I'd learn about a proper set up. Some of them can be made to play perfectly with one, some are a little "off" and will never play perfectly. Do more searches on Vietnamese ukes. (i.e. Taisamlu, Antoniotsai (bad choice), etc. Good luck

Top Bottom