Voices Carry - 'Til Tuesday Cover

Did you use a flanger? Whatever you did it sounds awesome. Great rendition. Thx for sharing.

I saw Aimee Mann and Til Tuesday way back in the 80's, live in Boston twice--once at The Rathskeller in Kenmore Sq with my pal Andy (who wound up being a urologist, of all things!) and some other college cronies that treated the city like rubbish, but we still hung out with them like the lunkheads we were, and once at Jumpin' Jack Flash in the Fens with my gal Cathy F., who lived down the street (there were about twenty people at Flash bc it was a weeknight, and I had no idea that Til Tuesday was anything at all; all I could think about was Cathy F. bc she was hot and all) and it was when their first single, Love In A Vacuum, just came out. WBCN was playing it like it was going out of style, I tell you.

One night at the Rat, I got Aimee's autograph on a cocktail napkin, which I still have to this day; it's over there in that chest of drawers stuck between the pages of some old book. It was 2AM, last call, and it was at the long bar at The Rat on the main floor (I know what you're thinking, but not the one down by the basement stage) where Aimee and the band were having post-gig drinks. I was already blotto and was way up in that loft thingy over the bar with a few pals (the losers) who dared me to go down and talk to her. I was juiced up with beer muscles and did it. She was sweet as corn syrup, she really was, and she wrote something long on that napkin; not just my name and her name--I need to pull it out and read it again because it meant something to me at the time. It was that good.

Anyhow, Vacuum was a minor hit when I got her John Hancock, but within three months of that, the second single, Voices Carry exploded on MTV, and the rest, as they say is history. I doubt if she'd have given a drunken louse like me the time of day after that, I really doubt it because she was an MTV darling by then and Boston was in her "rear view", if you get my drift. She started dating Jules Shear, and that lasted a lot longer than Cathy F. (not to be confused with Cathy R. or Cathy D.) and I did.

A vid reminder of Vacuum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6eeURFNmxI

Okay, back to E's lovely rendition. It tickled the cobwebs of my mind, and that means it's good and that I'd "brother hug" you if you were here right this millisecond.

Okay, I'm off to bed now. BYe bye.

Cool story brother Steve! You gotta tell me what she wrote on that napkin someday.

Ah, Love In A Vacuum...I remember that one well. Love the slap bass line that she played on that!

Thanks, yeah I added some effect to the track on GarageBand.
Wish I knew how to do that. Another reason to hit up E if ever on the west coast: GB lessons.

A lot of people remember Til Tuesday just as Aimee Mann's old band, but they were a pretty impressive musical unit in their own right. I saw them a few times in the 80's after their MTV heyday was already past, but nobody told them-- they really rocked. As part of their encore, they would take requests from the audience-- ANY request, meaning they were constantly being asked to play random songs they had never played before. Somehow, they always managed to pull it off, playing whatever random song the audience yelled out as if they'd been rehearsing it all day. Maybe it was a gimmick, but it was a great gimmick.

I love Aimee Mann as a solo artist, but what I wouldn't give for another one of those Til Tuesday shows... they were serious fun.

A lot of people remember Til Tuesday just as Aimee Mann's old band, but they were a pretty impressive musical unit in their own right. I saw them a few times in the 80's after their MTV heyday was already past, but nobody told them-- they really rocked. As part of their encore, they would take requests from the audience-- ANY request, meaning they were constantly being asked to play random songs they had never played before. Somehow, they always managed to pull it off, playing whatever random song the audience yelled out as if they'd been rehearsing it all day. Maybe it was a gimmick, but it was a great gimmick.

I love Aimee Mann as a solo artist, but what I wouldn't give for another one of those Til Tuesday shows... they were serious fun.

That's awesome Rich! I love it when bands take requests like that.

That's a cool story, Rich. I'm impressed that they could do that about playing audience shout outs. It's great that you saw them live. Sounds like you are a "child of the 80's", too, like Eric and I. It was a great decade--even with the down drag of Whitesnake and Poison.

That's a cool story, Rich. I'm impressed that they could do that about playing audience shout outs. It's great that you saw them live. Sounds like you are a "child of the 80's", too, like Eric and I. It was a great decade--even with the down drag of Whitesnake and Poison.

But David Coverdale had such fantastic teeth...

Very nice, Eric.

Before Til Tuesday had the hit with "Voices Carry", Aimee Mann used to work at the original Newbury Comics location on Newbury St., at the T-shirt counter. I still have an XTC "Drums and Wires" shirt I bought from her. The only time I ever saw Til Tuesday was around the time the band was breaking up, they played on Boston Common with O Positive and a couple other bands I've forgotten. Recently, I've listened to a bunch of Marc Maron's "WTF" podcasts, and the most interesting one I've heard was his interview with Aimee.

Very nice, Eric.

Before Til Tuesday had the hit with "Voices Carry", Aimee Mann used to work at the original Newbury Comics location on Newbury St., at the T-shirt counter. I still have an XTC "Drums and Wires" shirt I bought from her. The only time I ever saw Til Tuesday was around the time the band was breaking up, they played on Boston Common with O Positive and a couple other bands I've forgotten. Recently, I've listened to a bunch of Marc Maron's "WTF" podcasts, and the most interesting one I've heard was his interview with Aimee.

Thanks Jim and cool story too! I think I've been to that Newbury Comics store years ago.

Very nice, Eric.

Jim: I remember o-positive -- wasn't their album toyboattoyboattoyboat. I was looking for it on CD or iTunes to buy/burn, no luck. It must be out of print. Ugh!

I went to B.U> and lived under the Citgo sign on Bay State Rd for years, and although I never saw Aimee at Newbury Comics, I was there often. Once I saw Rick Ocasek reading magazines. He was hard to miss (I was in Las Vegas gambling and drinking hard 15 years ago and saw Rick at my hotel lobby with Paulina and what looked to be his kids, too). Sounds like we have many similar memories of that time. I just last week got "The Neighborhoods Live at The Rat 1992 (which was after my time in the 80's) (2-CD set)". I've tried to do The Prettiest Girl on uke, but I don;t know the chords (even though they're simple).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Mia0yvVmw
Can you do it and record it, Jim? You're very prolific, and The 'Hoods are just so freaking Garage!

Maybe you could wear the XTC shirt that Aimee sold you.

She's quite talented. Her latest CD is lovely from the samples I heard. Let me see if I can link it here so you can all click the song samples.
http://www.amazon.com/Charmer/dp/B0...TF8&qid=1374799834&sr=8-2&keywords=aimee+mann

See what you've started, Eric, by covering this particular tune!

Last edited:
PS

Jim--I thought maybe you saw Til,Tuesday at the WBCN R and R Rumble, but I see here TT was there in 1983, about at their peakAnd o-positive wasn't on the bill. But you'd enjoy this wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBCN_Rock_&_Roll_Rumble

With Del Fuegos (Dan Zanes is coming to play near me in IL,but he does kids music now). Do you remember DOn;t Run Wild and of course another "I Wish I could play it on the uke" song: I Still Want You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urd60ot_5R8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw2s6fw8ATY

(Mission of Burma did play with TT in 1983, and I did get their iconic Vs. CD just a month ago).

Jim: I remember o-positive -- wasn't their album toyboattoyboattoyboat. I was looking for it on CD or iTunes to buy/burn, no luck. It must be out of print. Ugh!

You can get used copies of Toyboat on Amazon for just 1 or 2 bucks:
http://www.amazon.com/Toyboattoyboattoyboa-O-Positive/dp/B000008J1S/
My favorite was the Only Breathing EP, with "With You" and "Talk About Love". I've got a CD that combines the Only Breathing and Cloud Factory EPs. Sorry, but I never got into the 'Hoods, so I don't know their songs. I think I've worn the XTC shirt I bought from Aimee Mann in a couple of videos, like "Senses Working Overtime".

This concludes our threadjack. We now return to our regularly scheduled erivel thread, which is already in progress.

Uke4ia, thank you! I never saw that on Amazon Used ( I was looking on eVilbay). I just ordered a toyboat copy. Thanks.

WOw, you were into o-positive with their indie stuff. You were a rebel.

Eric, this thread is special.

Top Bottom