Getting a tin-like sound from my Mitchell ukulele??

Chrisinfp

Reaction score
Recently I've noticed a tin-y sound when I play. I've been playing about 1 1/2 years and just recently noticed the sound. I'm not sure if the sound is new or if my ears are improving with the better I get. I have a Mitchell. It was $100 or so. I don't have the band of it but its rates positively. Anyway, can this sound be caused by strumming a certain way or do I need new strings? Not sure what to do. Thanks

If you've been playing with the same set of strings for 1 1/2 years, a string change could well be in order. It might not resolve the issue, but it's the first thing I'd try.

I think it's your ear that's developing. Mitchell's aren't the greatest instruments in the world, just barely a step above Esteban guitars. Now you have an excuse to get a better uke!

sounds like something worked loose. Brace? Saddle? Nut? Did you put strap buttons on it?

Any time something suddenly changes for no apparent reason the first thing to check is for loose parts (tuner nuts come loose and rattle, strap buttons and jacks loosen, etc.).

The second thing to check is strings - and with a year and a half on them I would be surprised if the strings weren't sounding a little tired if you play the uke much at all.

On the other hand, the Mitchell instruments don't have a very good reputation and if you've recently been around some folks that were playing nicer instruments you may just be noticing limitations that have been there all along but you had nothing to compare to.

John

Top Bottom