New Cordoba Uke!

HarmonyDano

Reaction score
Forty years after my first ukulele, an early 70s Harmony soprano (a toy that I used nonetheless to learn chord structures), it was time to upgrade. I switched to guitar at age 11, but I've been singing a lot of barbershop, which is all four part, and I've watched the ukulele grow in popularity in recent years, so I felt the bug to come back. I bought a Cordoba TM20. What a little gem! Its gorgeous and sounds fantastic. I can hardly believe how good it sounds. Full and resonant, but like a uke :). Now my wife doesn't laugh anymore when I strum the uke.

I found this forum and did some research here and elsewhere and played it at the store before buying. I decided I wanted a solid front and a tenor, and this seemed to be the best available in stores I could reach with that feature under $200. I suppose I may want to upgrade down the road, but right now I'm lovin' it.

Complaints I've seen have been about a muffled sound (NOT!) and cheap tuning pegs (NOT!). Mine sounds fantastic, the pegs are smooth, and it was holding pitch pretty well after only a day. Another complaint has been a somewhat hard action. This seems accurate. I may want to address this after some playing, or maybe not as I get in a little better shape.

Here's to the uke!
HarmonyDano

I had one and gave it to my granddaughter. I too thought is played and sounded wonderful. It wasn't my prettiest uke, but it was "handsome" in a way, no flaws in fit or finish. I could use a bone nut and saddle though. It came with Aquilas which I couldn't get off of it fast enough. This thing sounds awesome with low g's. Perhaps your action is a little high? Mine had a nice low action and wasn't the least bit "hard."
Good luck

Perhaps your action is a little high? Mine had a nice low action and wasn't the least bit "hard."
Good luck

It's mainly the C string that seems a bit high, and I only really notice in the first fret. If I hit it really hard in the first few frets, it is also the only string that buzzes (though I have to hit it really hard...but the others don't buzz when hit as hard. So maybe I've got two issues? I have zero expertise in working on guitars and ukes, even though I've played a guitar recreationally for years. I've just tolerated the little imperfections. Any thoughts on what I should do would be appreciated, though like I said, as I get in a little better uke shape, I may decide I like a little higher action. Cheers.

I've had a Cordoba TM20 for about 2-1/2 years - still on the original Aquila strings, still sounds great. The tuners are just OK - a little play in them, but still fine. Don't know if the nut and saddle are bone or composite - at the time I bought it, the literature said bone, but I've heard otherwise.

And don't really care.

She holds time just fine, plays well, and when I got her, Musician's Friend had them on sale for $149 with gig bag (But when Guitar Center - a sister business- couldn't locate the gig bag, I went elsewhere) - so my local shop matched the priced and ordered it for me. Setup was fine out of the box, and I she's been one of the rotating ukes that I play every couple of weeks, and will bring out to the Ukulele Club.

So, congratulations on a uke that makes you happy! Now get out there, and make others happy!

-Kurt​

Aloha Dano, congrats on the new uke..you should have asked us here....try a new set of martin strings from elderly Music. or Oasis from string by mail http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/ukulele-strings-684/oasis-ukulele-strings-2521/ these are double set for Oasis, and here it is for elderly music http://elderly.com/accessories/items/M600.htm

Welcome to the UU forums and the ukulele...Yes yes you are on the best uke forums online...woo hoo we have the most friendly and nicest members around offering great advice.
Happy Strummings

My uncle plays a Cordoba tenor and he loves it. It sounds great and I have never heard him complain about it.

Welcome to the forum. Plenty here to keep you busy, entertained and challenged.

Top Bottom