Uke Setup

kdmccullum

Reaction score
As far as companies that provide good setups, I know HMS on the list. But what about others? Mims, Elderly, UkeRepublic? How do they rate when it comes to setup?

Kurt

Elderly does a fantastic job on many of their ukes (they'll specify which ones they don't set up on that particular uke's page on their site), as with most of their instruments. Those guys know how to do it, and do it right.

I know that Mim does and I'm pretty sure Uke Republic also does. Your best bet in this case is to contact them via email or land line to confirm setup. Won't cost you a dime other than your time.

Yup, all dem peoples does good setups

One thing to remember is that the instrument should be set up for your specific preferences and playing style. Most beginners will not yet have formed preferences, so a more or less "standard" setup works fine - but as you grow as a player, you will gravitate to certain things. Personally, I am EXTREMELY picky regarding how my instruments have been set up. As a result, I typically ask that the seller do nothing more than make sure the frets are level, then I will do the rest for myself.

Again, the majority of players will not be as picky as I. But ideally the person setting up the instrument would discuss your preferences and actually watch you play before doing much of anything. One size, most definitely, does not fit all.

Thanks for the input everyone. I had two ukes but let the soprano go due to the fretboard size. Now I'm thinking of picking up a super soprano and I wanted to get a feel for which company did the best setups.

Kurt

Top Bottom