lemon oil

1300cc

Reaction score
what brand of lemon oil can you recommend for clesning ukulele satin finish

Lemon oil based products are commonly used on unfinished fretboards (rosewood, ebony etc.) to moisturize and oil the wood. The most prefferable products (in my opinion) would contain no silicone or fancy chemicals and no wax (not the best for fretboards).

Satin finish is a much debated entity. If you are just trying to remove dust, a slightly damp cotton cloth will do fine. I've used some products like dunlop 65 or Music Nomad All-in-one spray to clean the finish a little, but always use a light touch to prevent any unwanted "buffing" of the finish. Satin finishes vary slightly and some are rougher than others, which seems to be a factor in how much dirt/debris accumulate.

I would not put lemon oil on a satin finish, in fact avoid anything with an oily nature too it. Some satin finishes are thin enough that even heavy hand oils seem to soak into or through the finish. Others are more durable and thicker, but use caution with very chemical polish or cleaning formulas. No lemon pledge!

Last edited:
The music shop that sold me lemon oil had one brand only manufactured by Planet Wave which is a registered trademark of J.D'Addario. FWIW 59 ml at about 4 Euro.

To the point made earlier in this thread, lemon oil will not clean your instrument. I have found it useful for conditioning of fretboards, but you need hardly any (and I do mean like one or two drops), and you don't need it too often.

I use naptha for removing dirt & grime if necessary. it's safe for finishes, wood & metal and it dries almost instantly. I use Dunlop65 to polish my instruments.

Top Bottom