PDA

View Full Version : To Bb and back :(

revdj
07-24-2013, 05:38 AM
I need to play C - Bb - F - G (relatively quickly)

For most of my transition problems, the solution is "practice" and I get that. But here I think I'm actually doing something wrong.

My problem is that regardless of where my left fingers want to go, I have to move where the uke is in my left hand when I'm doing the Bb, in order for my fingers to be in the right place to hit it, and barre the E and A strings. So it's C (pause while I move the whole instrument in my left hand) Bb (pause while I move back) F - G.

I've seen videos on fingering these chords, but haven't found one on making this transition (or transitions like this). I find that when I play F - G (and then going back a C) the neck is in that cradle between my thumb and index finger, and it is like taking it out of a cave.

Does anyone have advice or a good link for me?

Thanks!

revdj

barefootgypsy
07-24-2013, 05:47 AM
I agree it's tricky - I've just been fiddling with it and I suggest you try to get to get rid of that cradle between the thumb and index finger - try to get your fingers at right-angles to the neck of the uke and push your wrist out away from you.... F to G, move your 3rd finger to the third fret quickly first, than catch up with the other two - someone may come in with more helpful advice, but this is mine for now! Good luck with it!

fernandogardinali
07-24-2013, 05:50 AM
what if you play C as the Bb one step higher (two frets)? You'll just have to move the same shape when transitioning to the Bb. Then you make the F and maybe instead of a G you can play a G7. That way you'll keep your index finger on the first fret of the E string and just add middle and ring finger to the second fret of the A and C strings.

Edit: Another way to play the G7 is with the shape of the F7 chord two steps higher (4535). You're already on the F chord, just add the pinky on the A string third fret and the ring finger on the C string third fret.

Bill Mc
07-24-2013, 06:49 AM
Play the following as barre chords: 9787, slide down to 7565, add pinky 5558, slide up to 777, 10. You are now in position to repeat. Practice this and you will move very fast and smoothly. Do not move out of barre position.

PhilUSAFRet
07-24-2013, 09:56 AM
When I play it, my thumb is directly behind the neck! I barre the second fret with forefinger, and press the 4th string, 4th fret with my ring finger. No problems transitioning.

Kayak Jim
07-24-2013, 09:58 AM
If you don't already use a strap, one can really make a difference in how easy it is to move your hand around as Lesley describes. I use a Uke Leash type.

KoaDependent
07-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Just as with the suggestion of moving the Bb shape (1123) up two frets for the C, take the barre G shape (2325) down two frets for the F, so your index finger is barring right on the nut. This of course means using your middle and ring finger to form the 0102 F, which isn't the most comfortable feeling at first.

You can even try barring the index finger on all the chords so all you're changing is the fret position and the middle finger.

OldePhart
07-24-2013, 11:30 AM
With practice you can do it even using the open forms (as long as you barre the Bb, anyway).

However, there is an easier way. Play them this way.

C - index finger barre at third fret 5433
Bb - index finger barre at first fret 3211 (just slide previous shape down two frets)
F - the open F (2010), but use your 2nd and ring fingers, with your index finger behind the nut as if it were a barre at the nut (but not pressing down on the strings, of course)
G - slide the F up two frets and drop your index finger down to barre the first fret (4232)

HTH,
John

ukuLily Mars
07-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Make sure also that you practice SLOWLY, enough to get your hand position right, even if you think you have it. Don't speed up until you have it down solid.

pootsie
07-24-2013, 12:04 PM
I found that this metronome exercise helped me a ton:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?66167-Noob-Challenge-Week-One!&p=958421#post958421

That was G to B, but Bb is just one fret down.

mm stan
07-24-2013, 02:20 PM
You can barr 3345 (C)the slide up to 1123 (Bb) but I assume you are a beginner....go the slowest as possible until you feel comfortable then increase speed
also sit down and lay your uke right bottom bout on your right thigh and hold the neck at 2:00 position....also have your left elbot touching your left rib and
while making the Bb chord have your left wrist facing upwards...good luck....practice patience and perserverence until you get your finger memory down and it becomes almost fluid for you...:)

revdj
07-24-2013, 06:44 PM
The 5433 C to the Bb has blown my mind! How does the 4232 G work? I don't see where the barre is there - where do I put my fingers?

(Thank you to all!)

pootsie
07-24-2013, 08:30 PM
The 5433 C to the Bb has blown my mind! How does the 4232 G work? I don't see where the barre is there - where do I put my fingers?

(Thank you to all!)

Bar the second fret with the index finger, then use middle finger on the E string at third fret and ring finger on the G at the fourth.

Similar shape to the Bb, but with the middle finger a string lower

OldePhart
07-25-2013, 01:41 PM

(Thank you to all!)

What Pootsie said - in general almost any time you talk about a barre chord the index finger will be on the lowest (numerically) fret - i.e. the one closest to the headstock. There are some exceptions (some people play the E with the tip of the index finger on the first string and the ring fingering barring the other three strings, for example). Although, even in the case of the E I find it easier to barre all the way across the 2nd fret with my index finger and then have a second barre with the ring finger at the 4th fret. Probably because that was how you had to play the A on guitar...

Shastastan
08-17-2013, 09:49 AM
If you don't already use a strap, one can really make a difference in how easy it is to move your hand around as Lesley describes. I use a Uke Leash type.

Ditto. If you are having a hard time fretting the E and A strings, you could consider switching to strings and are easier to depress. Worked for me. YMMV

Rick Turner
08-17-2013, 02:17 PM
One of the best things you can do for your playing is to learn each chord in three positions on the neck and try to get away from reliance on open strings. Once you do that, you're suddenly freed to play in any key, and G, C, E, and A need not be in any chord you play. Then it's just practice, practice, practice to get your transitions from one chord to another fast and fluid. Another trick is to play some three string chords and damp or just not play one string; or you can take it down to two strings for quick transitions and passing "chords"...which, with two notes, they're not, but if you play full chords on either side of faking it, you'd be thought to be brilliant.

One key to learning chord melody jazz stuff is to learn to play the melody on the top two strings, then add harmony around the melody as you see fit. Pretty soon, you're playing new chords you previously avoided, but they are the harmony parts. Then weave the melody around the chord parts, and you're playing jazz.

rowjimmytour
08-17-2013, 07:52 PM

For most of my transition problems, the solution is "practice" and I get that. But here I think I'm actually doing something wrong.

My problem is that regardless of where my left fingers want to go, I have to move where the uke is in my left hand when I'm doing the Bb, in order for my fingers to be in the right place to hit it, and barre the E and A strings. So it's C (pause while I move the whole instrument in my left hand) Bb (pause while I move back) F - G.

I've seen videos on fingering these chords, but haven't found one on making this transition (or transitions like this). I find that when I play F - G (and then going back a C) the neck is in that cradle between my thumb and index finger, and it is like taking it out of a cave.

Thanks!

revdj
That sounds very nice. What song are you working on? I am not playing at metal speed but w/ some practice and Uncle Rods Boot Camp ya could picky this up fairly fast.:cool:

Mercury
08-17-2013, 11:53 PM

Thanks!

revdj
Try tucking in your elbow hard against your side when transitioning between C and Bb ( or between x chord and Bb), I find this has helped my technique a lot.

revdj
08-18-2013, 07:53 PM
That sounds very nice. What song are you working on?

Ummm...
Blush...
"Do the Freddie."

revdj
08-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Try tucking in your elbow hard against your side when transitioning between C and Bb ( or between x chord and Bb), I find this has helped my technique a lot.

Which elbow?

Shady Wilbury
08-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Fretting hand, Rev. :)

revdj
08-19-2013, 04:49 AM
Fretting hand, Rev. :)

Thank you! I will try this as well!