Anyone own or played a Kiwaya mahogany concert?

oahugrl

Reaction score
I'm looking for a replacement for my cracked KoAlana and I've been looking at the Kiwaya on HMS web site. The video demo is fairly brief. Can anyone comment on tone and neck feel?
Thanks in advance.

The tone is strong. It's a tad "tight" compared to a jangly Martin, but otherwise feels and plays like a Martin with a thin neck and smooth feel. It's impeccably built; not one stray drop of glue or poorly mitred joint. Kiwayas sound great with any strings, but I tend to like the three or so I have owned with Fremont Blackline strings. Some players prefer them with Martin brand strings. I think a jump from KoAlana to a Kiwaya is a major jump in quality, and is a good move.

Many threads on Kiwaya on UU in the past, you can search the brand, all with exceptional comments. Not the blingiest ukuleles (but neither are the always popular Martins), but certainly one of the top builds. I think, from owning both, that Kiwayas are better built (more finesses in the building) than the modern Martins I own (2M and 3C)--okay, the tomatoes are going to be thrown my way now.

The sound, however, still goes toward Martin for it's more jangly, looser sound. Kiwayas can sometimes sound "tight" to my ear (all three that I owned, including a Master Series tenor, had this character to them).

You cannot go wrong with kiwaya, My soprano is as light as a feather.great sound, excellent with worth brown.

I had a chance to compare it with a 1930 Martin and they were like "brothers from a different mother" the Martin was in mint condition, having only had two owners...

Anyway, I got my Kiwyaha from HMS and its on my top 3 of my collection.

Let us kow how you make out.

By the way, it also has a very good resale value... So you can always move it along although I doubt you'll do that as once you hold it, you'll realize how great it is.

I agree with Cool again...

I have played the exact Kiwaya at HMS...and I like it
the neck feels as good as it gets...

the fit and finish is top of the line...

the concert Kanile'a,s all sound nice too...at HMS

good luck...tell MGM I sent you he will give you a good price....haha

I have a Kiwaya KTC-2 concert, mahogany with extended fingerboard and 14-frets to the body. Perfectly made, sounds and plays great, compensated bridge and nice tuners. It's a keeper.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I pulled the trigger on the Kiwaya. Hawaii 50, I dropped your name and MGM said I could have it for free (not).

I'm looking for a replacement for my cracked KoAlana and I've been looking at the Kiwaya on HMS web site. The video demo is fairly brief. Can anyone comment on tone and neck feel?
Thanks in advance.

they are great ukes, as already mentioned a great Martin copy. light, great tone and volume, Impeccable build and finish. I had a KTC-1 and the only thing I didn't like was the short fretboard, now a KTC-2 would be the bomb. I hope Tim tires of his.

Aloha,
Yes I did play one at HMS a few months ago and it was eet up nice and sounded great....

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I pulled the trigger on the Kiwaya. Hawaii 50, I dropped your name and MGM said I could have it for free (not).

He did not give it to you for free...haha
I will tell him to buy you lunch when you come visit the Islands...

Top Bottom