PDA

View Full Version : risa les paul tenor ukulele

j.atkins1@hotmail.co.uk
07-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Hi all,
bit new to all this messaging crack. will be 70 yrs of age in aug 2013
have a nice ohana tk35 tenor fitted with a shadow active pick up and eleuke tenor solid both with low G 4th string, play thro, fender mustang 1 amplifier.for my birthday I will be receiving 400 to buy new uke! (lucky old me) am thinking/looking at risa les paul tenor steel strung uke. being an ex guitarist who uses Band in a box etc to make backing tracks, and frowned upon by trad uke players in our group by going down this path, would welcome any comments on this topic, also anyone who might suggest string gauges for this instrument.

Shastastan
07-25-2013, 10:12 AM
I use BIAB a lot myself for our gig backups (not using ukes though). Maybe some in your group are acoustic traditionalists? I mentioned the possibility of getting an ephiphone to a tech, a few weeks ago, and he was against it and said to get an acoustic with a pickup because the sound quality would be a lot better. I'm 70+ also and I say get what you really want for your playing. Enjoy yourself! That's the main thing.

PhilUSAFRet
07-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Go for that Risa...an instant heirloom. I have the kidney bean tenor, wish I had the LP, I'd never get rid of it.

Wicked
07-25-2013, 04:40 PM
...frowned upon by trad uke players in our group by going down this path...

Mr. Atkins, ignore those people. I have had a Kamoa steel string electric for about a year now, and I play it for hours everyday. I truly feel that I have found my "ukulele voice" with the thing. The only people that have made negative remarks to me about the non-traditional nature of the instrument are typically very poor musicians themselves. Good musicians understand that your instrument is merely a tool... therefore, pick the tool that you want to use.

I have not played one of the Risa LPs, but they certainly appear to be great instruments. As far as string gauge, I am currently rocking D'Addario Chrome flatwounds (11-50, Jazz light), and they work for my playing style.

Happy Birthday!