Strumming and the C String

Kobold

Reaction score
So I have felt picks, and they're great for fast playing, but I want to be able to proficiently strum with my bare fingers as well. I've been strumming down with my first three fingers or so in a clawhammer position, then strumming up with the thumb... is there a better way I should be doing it?

Oh, and a side question... is the C string usually loose? I mean, it's in tune and everything, but the C string (in standard GCEA tuning) is significantly looser than the other four... is that just my uke, or is that normal?

So I have felt picks, and they're great for fast playing, but I want to be able to proficiently strum with my bare fingers as well. I've been strumming down with my first three fingers or so in a clawhammer position, then strumming up with the thumb... is there a better way I should be doing it?

Some people strum with their index up and down, some go thumb down index up, it doesn't really matter, whatever feels good to you.
Oh, and a side question... is the C string usually loose? I mean, it's in tune and everything, but the C string (in standard GCEA tuning) is significantly looser than the other four... is that just my uke, or is that normal?

No it shouldn't, what size of ukulele do you have and what brand of strings?

Thanks for the info... it's an Oscar Schmidt concert uke, with week-old D'Addario clear nylon strings. They were the only strings available at the shop.

Unless I strung it wrong, then there's something up...:rofl:

There are many variations on strumming. Index finger thumb, brush. claw, etc. Each one has its own place.

Worth makes strings that vary in tension. If you are an insane picker/strumer maybe one of their harder/higher tension strings would suit you better, Regula nylon tends to be looser (softer) than the others; nygut, polymer recfified nylon, etc strings

Is there a good site to find those on? I don't mind buying strings online...

It's weird because only the C string seems to be loose... *confused*

Thanks guys... I'm fairly sure a change of strings should help, find something of higher quality.

Try Worth strings

Top Bottom