Nud

greenie44

Big King Velour
UU VIP
Reaction score
Well, I never saw one of these before Monday, and now I own it. Found this in a music shop in Shanghai. It's a Yongchun, which I also never heard of.

Appears to be tenor scale. Very quiet without being plugged in, but sounds fairly good with headphones. It's go an MP3 jack too.

So far, so good. Play pretty well, and I really do like the look and the grain. Pretty reasonable too - it just jumped into my hands . . .

P1000502.jpgP1000503.jpgP1000504.jpgP1000505.jpgP1000506.jpg

Aloha Greenie44,
Congrats...looks real nice sorta lute like .....I do not see a soundhole, maybe why it is a little quiet....is it an accoustic... Happy strummings...

Very interesting. solid body, right?

I do like that. Kinda like a Electric Lute-kulele.

Yes, it's a solid body electric. You can plug in headphones and it sounds fine. I like that Lute-kelele name - maybe that's a translation of Yongshun.

http://yongchunmusic.com/products.asp?classid=10
Yongchun form GuangDong Province, (the home of most of the Chinese manufacturers) started out making the standard selection of electric Guitar clones in 2004 They have introduced a selection of Solid body Ukulele designs (including a Hofner Violin Bass shaped one if anyone ever wanted one of those?) in a variety of woods/finishes and according to their website they are all Concerts. I would be interesting to know if the one you found in Shanghai is any good? If it is these might be another alternative the the Eleukes that seem to be falling rapidly out of favour?

Yongchun form GuangDong Province, (the home of most of the Chinese manufacturers) started out making the standard selection of electric Guitar clones in 2004 They have introduced a selection of Solid body Ukulele designs (including a Hofner Violin Bass shaped one if anyone ever wanted one of those?) in a variety of woods/finishes and according to their website they are all Concerts. I would be interesting to know if the one you found in Shanghai is any good? If it is these might be another alternative the the Eleukes that seem to be falling rapidly out of favour?

Hi LF -

Thanks for finding the company information. I love things from Guangdong Province. The music store had the darker finish, but that one that looks like a sunburst over spalted is pretty tempting.

I'll let you know in a bit. One day in, I like it quite a bit. Seems to need some minor tuning adjustments pretty much every time I pick it up, but that could be, in part, the weather here in Shanghai, where it is really, really hot and humid. Workmanship seems pretty good, and the wood and grain really is quite nice. I also haven't really played it through an amp or amp modeler yet, but will when I get home.

Thanks again.

I've been playing it for about three weeks, and I like it a lot. Electronics are good, intonation seems pretty good. I have to tune it after a day or so in the case, but that is not so unusual for a low cost uke.

If anyone is interested in giving one of these a try, I am arranging to get another one shipped from China in a couple of months. I could see about getting more than one, so PM me if interested.

Top Bottom