Happy NUD! Kanile'a K1 concert

we tigers

Reaction score
recently I sold my KoAloha concert to finance the purchase of a Kanile'a. I just need a bigger neck profile apparently.

Today this beauty arrived!
This Kanilea is Craig's old Kanilea. I just love buying a ukulele from fellow UU members. And Craig and Ginny are not just ordinary UU-ers but two very special uke players that are very dear to me. So I am also honoured to be the one that gets to baby this ukulele for hopefully quite some years to come.

Compared to the KoAloha the sound is very different. The KoAloha was loud and had a lot of clarity. The Kanilea is not as loud as the KoAloha but still is a lot louder than for instance my Covered Bridge, but also has a beautiful warmth coming through and sounds wonderful both strummed and picked. I would say not as outgoing or brash as the KoAloha, but earthy and mature. Very, very nice!
I sold the KoAloha because of issues with playability, and boy does the Kanilea meet my expectations. The neck is excellent. Fits right into my left hand and plays like butter with a impressive set-up.

This is a Deluxe K1 so the koa has some dramatic grain. I fell in love with it the minute I saw pictures of it. The back almost looks like an owl and the front has some dramatic smoke going up and made me think of Dante. I do plan on changing the bridge pins. I like to loose the plastic ones and put in some koa or ebony pins.

One happy camper!

Congrats on your new Kanilea....yes I agree it is so beautiful...and agree buying from Craig and Ginny is a good thing...I also had a pleasant purchase from tham also..Happy strummings

Congrats. That is one beautiful uke. I can't wait to hear it in one of you vids!

Congrats, Wow, that's a lot of koa "character" for a K1. That's what I'm looking for when I eventually get my Kanilea concert. Kanilea/Ko'Aloha concerts....they call them both the "tone monster"

Congrats! The grain pattern is stunning. Looks like flames turning into smoke. What a scene!

Yummy! Congrats!

We tigers, the grain on that is amazing! Congrats and I hope it brings you much music making pleasure.

That's not far off a Premium. Awesome!

Congrats! Love the koa. I also think ebony bridge pins look a lot better on this one.

That's not far off a Premium. Awesome!

You know...after looking at your Uke some more, I'm going to amend my earlier statement. Despite it not conforming to people's usual expectations as to what would constitute a "premium" Kanile'a (stripy curly Koa), I'd say your Uke is definitely a Premium. If this was a Tenor, and had been in the pile of Curly Premiums I ultimately chose mine from (pic in my signature), I think I'd have chosen yours. Such a remarkable, but refreshingly different figure to the grain.

Absolutely stunning, you're a lucky bugger.

Top Bottom