Problems/ annoying pain with strumming forearm. Help out

Chrisinfp

Reaction score
When I play my strumming forearm rests against the edge of the uke. It causes a dull pain that starts out with creases on my skin. I've seen bass guitar players use wrist bands. Should I just wear long sleeves? Am I holding the uke incorrectly?

When I play my strumming forearm rests against the edge of the uke. It causes a dull pain that starts out with creases on my skin. I've seen bass guitar players use wrist bands. Should I just wear long sleeves? Am I holding the uke incorrectly?

I am not sure if they way you are holding the uke is contributing to your pain but I have forearm problems caused by major cramping. I do know however and suggest from your description of your forearm creasing from the edge that you try the various thinline models such as a Kala Travel as they can be help easy holding of the uke without that pressure on your forearm due to the thinness of the uke making the arm slip over without the edge rubbing

I found that when using a Mobius Strap I no longer had to press my forearm against the body of the ukulele to support it. This not only freed up my arm to switch from strumming to picking and back, it relieved strain on my arm, shoulder and wrist. I even use it when playing while sitting.

Tim's strap requires no modification to an instrument. I have several expensive ukuleles which came with a tail button already installed, so there are makers who do, and those who do not think a ukulele should be strapped so the strumming hand ONLY plays and does not support the body simultaneously. Turning the palm up and strumming with the outside edge of the little finger involves only movement of the wrist.

You might want to consider a strap--even a Uke Leash half strap would allow you to support the body with less pressure from your strumming arm. There are lots of threads on this forum about straps (button vs. no button styles). Here's a recent one.

I had to same probablem when I went from electric guitar to acoustic. It ended up just stop hurting for me and I never had a probablem with it playing my ukulele cause I played my guitar so much. So if the pain is not that bad I'd try to just keep playing and it should go away, if not I'd get some kind of strap.

Top Bottom