2 years in... {beware ye who enter: ukulele drama within}

rocko

Reaction score
I'm two years in to my Ukulele obsession. I own 6 ukuleles (two concerts and one of each: soprano, tenor, baritone, electric). I don't own a resonator or banjolele, yet...

My wife who {as in everything I do} initially resisted, then complained, then accepted, and now wants {finally} to pick up an instrument. [I am very stubborn and my patience grows with each small victory]

At first she considered banjo and we tried a whole host of those out at the local shops. My wife is considerably more frugal than I, and was not ready to spend the $500 on a banjo -- since she is not yet committed and may very well bail out quickly.

Next came a brief idea that a banjolele {initially ruled out by my wife due to its being a 'ukulele'} might get the sound that she likes. The banjolele testing session revealed that it was not the sound she was looking for. Following on that, a brief flirtation with resonator ukuleles was experienced by dearest spouse. That was quickly squelched when sample resonator ukuleles were not in stock at local shops. Yesterday, it was mountain dulcimers that were considered.

If you're still reading this post, I'll now explain why all of that exposition was required. During this process, I came across the Tenor Guitar. Somehow, I had never really understood what it was. And, subsequently, I have become intrigued, nay... smitten with the idea of obtaining and playing the Tenor Guitar.

Now, since I have been bitten by this bug and done the requisite spin of the google to learn and glean more info. I find myself wondering if I should take this path or not get sidetracked. I'd consider myself a moderate player, both in terms of strumming and fingerpicking. As an oldster, I don't expect to 'go pro'... I just do this for fun and as a way to share music with my young 4yo son.

What say you, Ukulele enthusiasts?

Just recently I started looking at tenor guitars! From everything I can tell... You can actually tune them GCEA so you can play the chords you know without learning totally different chord structures but still get that guitar sound :) If you can't do GCEA you can for sure do DGBE! Baritone guitar chords!

Hmmmm....let me think about this...looks around and sees three basses, nine ukuleles, four guitars, 1 mandolin, five Native American flutes, a drawer full of penny whistles, 1 cajon bongo, 1 melodica, a frog, a briefcase holding 7 or 8 harmonicas and a bullet microphone, a few kazoos and shakers and three guitar amps. (This is the stuff in this room, and does not include the stuff in the bedroom or in storage where several more guitars and amps are languishing.)

Go for it! (Yeah...betcha saw that coming...) :biglaugh:

John

I say go for it! You probably know that the tenor guitar is tuned the same as a mandolin. You might as well get one of those, also. ;)

I say go for it! You probably know that the tenor guitar is tuned the same as a mandolin. You might as well get one of those, also. ;)

And a mandola, too. And this afternoon I learned the Irish bouzouki is also tuned similarly.

Maybe just stick with the uke. ;)

Top Bottom