I just received my Mainland Red Cedar Soprano....WOW!!

Brian W

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I just received my Mainland Red Cedar Soprano, and boy do I love it!! This is the first uke I purchased, where the set-up was done exactly as I wanted it. The sound is loud, but still very sweet and musical, without being brittle. The action and intonation are near perfect, with no buzzing. This is by far the best uke I played for under $500. I can see why so many people love their Mainland's. Mike, if you are reading this post, I just want to say thank you for what you and your wife have done and I wish you all the best and continued success at Mainland ukuleles!

Nice, I am looking at a Red Cedar Tenor. I tried them out at UWC and they sounded fantastic. Glad to know you like it.

Nice, I am looking at a Red Cedar Tenor. I tried them out at UWC and they sounded fantastic. Glad to know you like it.

I actually love it, and will be recommending Mainland to anyone looking for a quality ukulele that won't break the bank. I am very hard to please when it comes to sound and playability for my instruments, and there isn't anything that I need to tweak with the setup on this uke; it is as good as it can be!

I bought a cedar Mainland soprano a few years back and highly recommend it in this price range. Intonation was great and sound as well. Very loud though!!! hehe

Though, I still have a penchant for my Mainland hot chilly pepper uke!!!

PeteyHoudini

May I suggest that you try a set of Worth Brown Mediums when you're ready to experiment a bit. In my mind they add a more mellow, expressive and fuller voice.

But by all means, let those original strings settle in and play 'em.

May I suggest that you try a set of Worth Brown Mediums when you're ready to experiment a bit. In my mind they add a more mellow, expressive and fuller voice.

Indeed! Finding the right strings for that uke is a real art! I recommend listening to ukemunga's advice! Worth browns will make it a little less punchy and you'll have more control over the expressiveness. :cool: Great move!

PeteyHoudini

I bought a cedar Mainland soprano a few years back and highly recommend it in this price range. Intonation was great and sound as well. Very loud though!!! hehe

Though, I still have a penchant for my Mainland hot chilly pepper uke!!!

PeteyHoudini

Peter,

Love your Youtube channel, especially your Martin collection :drool: !! Also love your playing style; in fact, you were a big influence on me switching to a soprano size.

Thanks for the advice. I actually already ordered a set from Elderly yesterday. Hearing the tonality changes from something as simple as a different brand of strings fascinates me. Strings can really change the feel and tone of the instrument far greater than on any guitar that I have ever played.

I agree. When I put worth browns on my mainland red cedar it became my main player.

Peter,

Love your Youtube channel, especially your Martin collection :drool: !! Also love your playing style; in fact, you were a big influence on me switching to a soprano size.
Thanks Brian... I actually prefer the soprano ukulele before anything else. Nothing to do with Martins. I played guitar since I was 12 years old so this novel uke sound with the high "G" note inspired me beyond belief. Actually, it confused me vocally when trying to sing at first with a soprano uke, so I started to have to do chord solo notes so I would sing the right note. At that point, I knew the uke was the instrument for me. Though, I love the piano and Bach. :cool:

I still love the soprano uke the best. :cool:

Petey

Last week I tried a Mainland Red Cedar Baritone at Ribbee in Bangkok. It was gorgeous. I thought the action could have been a bit lower, but it sounded wonderful. It had wound b and e nylon strings that I've never seen before.

Congratulations on that new Mainland! I've heard nothing but good things about them....

Congratulations, I hope it brings you much joy!

I have the pineapple version and it is still one of my favorites. There is a guy in my uke group who likes to play it, and I end up having to play his Koaloha or vintage Martin. Heh! I wonder when he'll finally get his own. ;-)

Mainlands are outstanding ukes for the price, I love my Red Cedar Tenor, nothing comes close in the price range

And a very enthusiastic and MEGA DITTO!

Thanks Brian... I actually prefer the soprano ukulele before anything else. Nothing to do with Martins. I played guitar since I was 12 years old so this novel uke sound with the high "G" note inspired me beyond belief. Actually, it confused me vocally when trying to sing at first with a soprano uke, so I started to have to do chord solo notes so I would sing the right note. At that point, I knew the uke was the instrument for me. Though, I love the piano and Bach. :cool:

I still love the soprano uke the best. :cool:

Petey

I've been working on some Bach on the uke, great stuff!

Top Bottom