PDA

View Full Version : what is the word 'MIM' referring to here ?

v30
07-25-2013, 02:57 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Kelii-Tenor-Ukulele-With-Hard-Case-Excellent-Condition-NO-RESERVE-/200946673897?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec95ae8e9

Freeda
07-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Looks like someone is trying to cash in on Mim's excellent reputation. That is not a Mim listing and the description doesn't say they originally got it from Mim so there's no guarantee of setup.

telebob
07-25-2013, 03:10 PM
MIM - in that context - is usually shorthand for "Made in Mexico."

Of course, there is Mim, the uke seller too! But that ad is not hers...

Mim
07-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Hahaha. Kelii are not made in Mexico. I am sure someone picked this up at a yard sale or something and when they looked up how much it was worth on ebay came across my listing and though "MIM" had something to do with the item. Maybe I need to not all-caps it... maybe do "Mim". I am just trying to make my items easy to find. Even for me. Though I have my own site, I like the search on ebay better, so even when looking up my own stuff to give recommendations and stuff I have a tendency to just search "Mim, Ukulele" and anything related to what a customer wants, like Tenor, and then I can go to the side and put their budget in. Makes it easy to know off hand what I have (when I have all my stuff on there, which is not now... but I am working on catching up).

Side unrelated note yall: ebay has the better search, MimsUkes.com has the better prices. Same items, just no fees so I can make them cheaper. If they are not cheaper it is because it is a new item and I have yet to go into my prostores and lower the price, so e-mail me and I will take some money off for ya before you order :) Basically if it ends in a .75 that is an ebay price and I have not lowered it yet. If it ends in .00 then we are all good, price was already lowered. I hope that makes sense. It is weird, but works for me.

So yeah. from time to time, people use MIM thinking it has something to do with the uke. Had someone copy my Lanikai listing once in the same way. Had to say... "dude... Mim is a person :)" But, in a weird way it makes me feel good.

But yeah, this uke is not made in Mexico. But I love Keliis and that one is pretty so someone snag that :)

mm stan
07-25-2013, 04:16 PM
I got the same uke for 75.00 it does not sound good and the top is thin and dished... but is in mint condition....
it has the same old style logo on it..... made by casey moore on oahu.....Yes it is a vintage soprano...

wayfarer75
07-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Not only is it not a Mim listing, that's also not a tenor uke. It's a soprano.

I have a Kelii concert, and it's great. I would certainly be wary of buying one for less than $100, of course. But this seller may just be clueless.

Mim
07-26-2013, 02:36 AM
Not only is it not a Mim listing, that's also not a tenor uke. It's a soprano.

I have a Kelii concert, and it's great. I would certainly be wary of buying one for less than $100, of course. But this seller may just be clueless.

yeah, I think this seller picked it up somewhere, did not know what they had, looked it up, and just snagged my listing title assuming it was the same thing. I wrote and they said sorry and that they did not know and said they would change it. Then they realized since it has bids it cant be changed. I am going to write back and tell them it is not a problem, but buyers need to know the correct size.

ukuLily Mars
07-26-2013, 03:59 AM
I thought MIM could only mean one thing: AWESOME.

mm stan
07-26-2013, 04:06 AM
Wait....I don't think MIM was born in Mexico....was she???? LOL :)

Mim
07-26-2013, 07:01 AM
I thought MIM could only mean one thing: AWESOME.

Awww Shucks! I blush!

Mim
07-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Wait....I don't think MIM was born in Mexico....was she???? LOL :)

Hahaha! Nope! Virginia girl!

hmgberg
07-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Virginia was born in Mexico?:deadhorse:

gnordenstam
07-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Yes, Virginia, there is a Mexico.
:deadhorse: